Beetlejuice - Delia's Sculptures

WilliamBell

Hello! The 30th anniversary for Beetlejuice is around the corner and for my cinema, I want to fabricate the two sculptures that come to life from Beetlejuice for the lobby. I haven't got the faintest idea where to go from making the armature. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated! I am looking to go for cost effective but I can spare enough to make sure that they are constructed as to not break the first time someone touches them.

Attachments

• scultptures.jpg
    scultptures.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,952
Cheapest methods....

1. Create frame out of wood,,, then build up shape with chicken wire and cover in paper mache, then paint. This will be cheapest and very light
2. Carve out of foam and then paint a stone color with texture and washes of color to make realistic.

and if you want to be a little more sturdy...

3. Carve out of foam, then coat in gesso or bondo, and then sand to desired texture/finish. Then paint. This will be sturdy and still light weight.

4. Or as most theme parks create rocks... carve out of foam, then wrap chicken wire around, then use cement and apply with pallet knife. You can then model the cement to have stone texture and shaping as it dries. Then paint with washes of color to make more realistic. This will be rock hard, realistic but very heavy.

Cheapest methods....

1. Create frame out of wood,,, then build up shape with chicken wire and cover in paper mache, then paint. This will be cheapest and very light
2. Carve out of foam and then paint a stone color with texture and washes of color to make realistic.

and if you want to be a little more sturdy...

3. Carve out of foam, then coat in gesso or bondo, and then sand to desired texture/finish. Then paint. This will be sturdy and still light weight.

4. Or as most theme parks create rocks... carve out of foam, then wrap chicken wire around, then use cement and apply with pallet knife. You can then model the cement to have stone texture and shaping as it dries. Then paint with washes of color to make more realistic. This will be rock hard, realistic but very heavy.

inspired! thanks so much! I'll see what I can do and post progress pics.

Some things I learned from my projects. Use 1" chicken wire and not 2". The 2" is weaker and harder to keep it holding it's shape. The paper mache on such a large item, mine is 7ft tall, is not very strong. I would use cloth over the paper mache. Mine ripped a few times moving it from the garage to the house and back after the party I had. Cloth technique is the same, just rip up old shirts, sheets, other linens and dip them into the mixture. I used a bucket of spackle in a 50:50 mix with water.
If you want it to be really durable and water proof you can cover it with jaxsan 600 available from RoseBrand. They sell theater supplies. It is a rubbery latex coating that is waterproof, fire resistant, and takes paint great. It also strengthens whatever you put it on.

2017-09-04 19.48.20.jpg2017-09-06 18.41.05.jpga6.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back