Saw ALIEN on the big screen last weekend...

Keycube

I don't know if all theatres all do this, but our theatre shows older classics for a couple of showings on Sundays and Wednesdays. They highlight these before *every* movie during the previews, and I've been meaning to see a number of these for years, but it's hard to keep them at the forefront of your mind after you just watched a different film.

Anyway, wow. :) How incredibly fun, seeing such an iconic treasure again, in all its grainy glory. The set pieces, the models, the attention to detail, the performances...such a visceral experience. A true piece of art.

Such a lesson in "Less is more", eh. One of my favorite sequences consists of something that *isn't* shown, where Kane is facehugged - pretty monumental! - and then all of a sudden they're back at the ship. It's cool because they cut away, and you have this inner suspense, wondering "What the hell is going on?", and then their next scene, they're at the ship, facing a different dilemma head-first (whether or not to allow him on the ship). No nonsense, just solid narrative. Seems like today you'd see a whole chaotic scene played out with Kane, a lot of graphic stuff with mega-chaos, milking it for all its worth ("Let's get out of here!), but not here...there's a bigger picture. It's like no scene is bigger than the final product, which is amazing for a movie with such big, iconic scenes.

And if anything, I could have used a bit less of the final alien form (as has been suggested by many), just in the name of mystery. But it was such a masterpiece you almost HAD to show this thing off, so no begrudging there, eh! I will say (and have said before), that the "Boo!" scene with Dallas in the ductwork was a bit jarring, almost to the point of silliness (totally IMHO). I wish Dallas' dot has just disappeared off the scanner or something. Maybe not even with any screams. Whatever, small potatoes.

At least, what, 20 minutes before we even encounter the eggs? It feels like much more, but probably because the characters are being so well crafted during that time, you feel like you've known them forever. These are characters you cared about. Just good storytelling from those that cared about their craft, in all facets of the making of the film.

With the state of certain social elements being what they are right now (and me being much older and wiser(?) than when I first saw it as a 9 year old), it really hit home what an empowered female Ripley is, and it does this in such a natural, organic fashion. It doesn't have to *try* to do anything with that, she's just a smart officer doing what smart officers do; although, really, she highlights what females do really well - multitasking - unhindered by the restraints of either compassion or corporation, yet pandering to both when appropriate. Damn, she's a great character. They all are, and none of the roles feel cliché in a "check the cultural box" way. They just feel like people.

It always strikes me how quickly it ends. It doesn't help that the tether at first seems too short for the Alien to reach the exhaust port, but then all of a sudden there he goes. It would have been cool to see the acid tear away part of the exhaust nacelle, just because. The attention to detail thing, maybe add a bit more suspense (will the shuttle hold up?). Maybe I'm just pissy that the movie has to end. :) Endings are so much easier to pick apart when you already know how it plays out.

That was more than I intended to write, but it was a really exciting day. It struck me as such this morning, when I saw my ticket stub that read "ALIEN", did a double-take, and realized how lucky I was last weekend. :)

Yea...seeing it on the Big screen is so much better, was 17 with girlfriend frt row, she almost jumped over her seat to the next row,,funny it was....

I was too young to see it in theaters due to the R rating and had to wait for VHS. This is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time and the only one I have never seen in a theater.

I was also too young to catch it in the theaters. Also just the sight of the jumbo sized big chap to Kenner at toy stores was enough to scare me.

I remember seeing it back in the day and was even more scared before going in after seeing the look on peoples faces as they were walking out of the theatre.

I never got to see it on the big screen - R rated movies were completely off limits to me until I was 18 :unsure
I remember all the merchandising, though.
For Christmas that year I got a puzzle of the alien that came in a plastic egg.
And the t-shirt shop on Pearl Street Mall (the record store in Mork and Mindy) had t-shirts with latex chestbursters coming out of them.
I wanted one of those so bad...

I finally got to see it on HBO at a friend's house.
Our parents were playing cards, so we snuck upstairs to watch ALIEN.
My sisters were freaking out - me and my buddy were absolutely enthralled.

Yep, I was also too young to see it in the theater. Mainly what I remember is being weirded out by the sound effects in the "cracked egg" tv commercial.

And anytime we went to a store that had a toy department, I'd make a beeline for the hand held movie viewers that let you watch the one minute, silent Super 8 film loop that had a few scenes from the movie. They were cool because it was hand cranked so you could control the speed or even play shots in reverse. Oh, the simple pleasures of life!

In retrospect, it's pretty odd that they were marketing toys to kids for a movie most of them weren't even allowed to see. But look at this little guy on the box, he seems pretty happy...

Alien-movie-viewer.jpg

Even though I couldn’t see it in theaters, I devoured the Heavy Metal comic adaptation and the picture story book that was practically a frame by frame photo journal of the film. And I read the Alan Dean Foster novel which was very different, likely mire similar to some of the early O’Bannon story treatenents. Oh, and the AMT model of the ALIEN!

I was too young also but where I lived they just flat out didn't care about following those rules. Me and my friend walked right on in with no problems. I guess I was about 13 or 14. Scared the living Bejeezus out of me!! Scared me even more than JAWS.

Bryancd, I still have all three of those books on my shelf! First prints. None of the pages in the picture book are connected anymore, but they're all still there!!

Still got my 18" big chap, too!

I was too young also but where I lived they just flat out didn't care about following those rules. Me and my friend walked right on in with no problems. I guess I was about 13 or 14. Scared the living Bejeezus out of me!! Scared me even more than JAWS.

Bryancd, I still have all three of those books on my shelf! First prints. None of the pages in the picture book are connected anymore, but they're all still there!!

Me too but I had to go back and buy them on e-bay a number of years ago!

I saw it at 14, my mom took me. Anything she wanted to see I was able to see too, and fortunately our tastes had a lot of overlap.

I randomly ended up going to see it like 14 years ago at a Picturehouse in Liverpool. Then randomly ended up seeing the exact same 70mm print at my local Picturehouse last year. It was interesting to see what happens to a print over so many years, and yeah that particular print is pretty degraded now.

I saw it at 14, my mom took me. Anything she wanted to see I was able to see too, and fortunately our tastes had a lot of overlap.

That's cool; my story is similar. I was 9, and my mom says I was begging to see it, though I don't remember that. Probably though, if I saw there was "space stuff". She watched much of the movie with her hand ready to cover her eyes. :)

I missed it in theater originally. My neighbor's uncle was taking her to see it, and I hoped I could tag along, but that never happened. I didn't see it until the following year on a family trip, in a motel that had HBO. I finally saw it on the big screen when they did a theatrical release of the director's cut.

I also had the 18" figure when I was a kid, but it fell prey to the "wrath of mom" (but I still had the little "poster" that came with it.. A few years ago I found one in a thrift shop for $5.

I was 23 years old when I saw it in the movie theater and OMG! The models, the details of the sets, costumes and that bloody birth:eek Amazing!!

I hope to catch it one day at a "classic" showing.
I wasn't allowed to see Alien in the theater, had to live vicariously through my friends and what I read in Starlog magazine.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back