Besta cabinet dust proofing

Keith

Sr Member
I have just fitted 10 Ikea Besta wall cabinets which i am going to fit Sindvik glass doors to. I did want to use Glassvik doors, but it would be too expensive.
Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has made these cabinets dust proof using dust proof strips?
I found something online where someone had done this to besta cabinets, but they had a totally different style of door.

I know i should just buy a load of different dust strips and see what works best through trial and error, but i thought i would ask here first incase anyone has already succeeded in making this combination of cabinets and doors dust proof.

Keith

Dust strips huh? I have some single Detolfs and a few no name versions. Wondered on a good way to dustproof them. Let me know how you go mate I'd be keen to try it.

Regards
T
A
Z

Update time. I have just fitted this stuff to one of my besta cabinets:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-epdm-rubber-e-strip-white-20m/73216

First i fitted carlisle brass nickel plated magnetic catches to each cabinet (two per cabinet). I made sure there was an even gap around the cabinet door of around 3mm. The pull of the magnets made it really hard to open the door, but i was ok with that.
I fitted a test piece of the rubber e-strip and the cabinet door squashed it no problem, as the seal is very, very soft rubber. Infact i tried it without leaving the 3mm gap and the door squashed the seal paper thin and it took hours for the seal to get it shape back after i removed it.

I then fully finished one cabinet, fitting the e-strip all the way around the cabinets front edge, but when i refitted the door, it wouldn't close.
The e-strip built up a lot of strength in that large quantity and i couldn't even feel the slightest bit of pull from the two magnetic catches due to the opposite force from the seal.

With the cabinet off the wall, i put it on the floor on its back with the door facing up and placed some heavy boxes on top of the door to hold it closed and squash the seal. Around five hours later and the door closes no problem now.
I've put that cabinet back on the wall now and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i don't find the door popped open tomorrow.

If everything works out, i'll be really pleased with this, as with the cabinet back panel glued up, these will not only be dust resistant, but airtight!

I have just learned something that has completely changed my display plans and i thought i should post this info here as a warning.....
I bought some wooden slats yesterday to make a mount inside a couple of the cabinets, so some items appear to hover in the cabinet without any kind of stand or base being visible. I was a little concerned about the effects of moisture contained in the wood, so i googled displaying items with wood. I was shocked at what i found out and for some reason i have never heard about this before, but not only does wood give off harmful gases for a display environment, but particleboard (which is what the cabinets are made from) is especially bad.
The resin glues used to bind the wooden particles together contains toxic formaldehyde, which off-gasses into the environment and will damage items and even corrodes all metals other than gold. The off-gasing is worst within the first year, but will continue past ten years. Display cabinets made from particleboard that have door seals means the off-gasing problem is severely exacerbated, as it builds up inside the cabinet due to there being no escape for it..... I made my cabinets AIRTIGHT!
The smell of the formaldehyde when i opened the doors of my cabinets was terrible, so i have decided to scrap the whole idea right as i was just about finished with the job.
I've wasted a load of money and the best part of a year of planning and work, as the whole room was reorganized around this wall full of cabinets. It took forever to get them all perfectly flush with each other due to the wall not being even and now as im finished, i'm taking them all down again.
I just wish i found info on this before i started.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks. Sorry to hear you lost out on the cash. Hopefully your collectables arent damaged due to this.

Regards
T
A
Z

No, i didn't put anything in the cabinets. I was just about to though, as i only had a couple of small jobs left to do.

just a thought but why not try clear sticky tape, ive got an ex shop glass display box with a shelf and opening glass door. it had 1cm gaps on all edges and i used sticky tape that only just joins both edges. after 2 yrs hasnt come off yet. if the gap is glass to timber or u want to still open the door just stick to the glass edge and put more tape on the reverse sticky side. not sure if that helps but anyway

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back