Who saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters?

I was 12 and there eagerly. Leaving the theater I was just kinda blah. I like it in many ways but it was not a life changer.

I have fond memories of those, I remember getting a blue, translucent communicator watch thing inside of it. I also remember the corny jokes on the side of the box with one of them about Klingons clinging on to the Enterprise.

I remember I got a toy and a Starfleet insignia iron-on that promptly got used.

Don't feel bad Jimmy Doohan told me Wende had to nudge him a couple of times because he fell asleep during the Premiere! :lol

The only thing that horrified me more than not being able to see myself in the "Rec deck" scene was not getting Persis number at the Party afterwards.

As far as the Movie went well there was always another day I thought at the time

I was 14 and also feel asleep, even the onset of puberty couldnt keep me awake. .

I did.

Lots of hype before release. Biggest budget film of all time so we thought it would be full of cool space battles.

Opening with Klingons was great - cool language, really spot-on updated ships and the torpedo shots were awesome. Klingon Battle theme was terrific.

And ... it was all downhill from there.

The Enterprise interior, uniforms were too sterile - ... How do you do hand-to-hand fighting in those costumes? Answer: you don't.

Transporter malfunction, wormhole sequence ... all filler.

Giant V'ger model effects really didn't impress.

I remember being angry about the complete lack of action.

My friends dad took us to see it opening night and it blew me away. Great crowd. We were big I to space exploration, so out jaws dropped when V'Ger turned out to be Voyager. Afterword I couldn't wait to get the soundtrack.....on 8-track. I know I'm in the minority but to this day it's still my favorite Star Trek film.

I was 12. Had to pick my jaw off the floor when they unveiled the E in dry dock. Quite the thing to behold in 70mm.
Took my 7 year old sister, on my second trip to see it. She enjoyed it too. Got a TMP Bridge playset for Xmas
that year. I think I still have the original release of the soundtrack on LP in storage.

I did. The Klingon battle, reto-fit, Admiral Kirk's uniform then then short sleeve white with gray pants, the music, safety arms to keep you in your seat... all good stuff.

Except for some of the bridge background screens which even looked off at that time.

I saw it in the theater, at 13. Hated it. It was nothing like the TV show I adored. Kirk looked old AF, and I hated his hair. He had none of the TV Kirk's swagger or confidence. The film was, otherwise, completely forgettable.

When TWOK came out, I liked it much more--the rare case in which the sequel is better than the original. But still, what made it a good film was the villain. I still hated Kirk's weak personality. And I still hated his hair.

The Wook

I was fifteen and my father had bought us all opening night tickets weeks in advance. We all discussed it afterwards, a poor mishmash of a couple of TOS episodes was the prevailing opinion.
There was good, the music, the Enterprise, seeing the crew back together, some odd bits here and there. The bad, which we all know, bloated and boring, scans interpreted as attacks, even the usage of au, the cloud is 82 au's, which I doubt one in a hundred people know. I did, but I can't remember why I knew it and thought that was a ridiculous size. I remember leaning over and telling my dad what that meant and he made a scrunchy face like he thought it ridiculous as well. Sometimes had a hard time understanding Persis once she was a probe, which needed to happen as quickly as possible based on her acting skills.
You could tell it was rushed, but I still had a bit of fondness for it despite its many flaws and lack of action.
I bought the lit enterprise model and loved it, the pack of blueprints, books, comics, action figures, etc.

I also wanted it to succeed as we needed a sequel. A proper sequel. Thankfully........

I will say the directors cut is an improvement. I long ago heard that a blu-ray of the cut may not happen as the effects were rendered in 480 and they'd have to be redone for a blu.

It wasnt a theater, but it sure felt like one on one of these, my parents owned. Earliest I remember was probably 6 or 7.
I remember my dad continuously, focus adjusting and cleaning for optimum picture quality.

I remember the feeling, I could be a Trekkie.
View attachment 789459

Funny thing is, I dont remember my parents ever watching TOS, my uncle did religiously, but not my parents.

Attachments

• IMG_0541_0.JPG
    IMG_0541_0.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 201
I saw it in the theater, at 13. Hated it. It was nothing like the TV show I adored. Kirk looked old AF, and I hated his hair. He had none of the TV Kirk's swagger or confidence. The film was, otherwise, completely forgettable.

When TWOK came out, I liked it much more--the rare case in which the sequel is better than the original. But still, what made it a good film was the villain. I still hated Kirk's weak personality. And I still hated his hair.

The Wook
... and his wimp son.

I was 14 and had been reading all the previews in Starlog for nearly two years prior, so naturally I saw it. The music, opening Klingon scene, and the refit Enterprise were all awesome. I could appreciate all kinds of stories as long as they are well told, so I had no problem with the lack of action. But yeah, kinda slow.

A month or so before the opening there was a promotion at a Maryland Toys R Us with Deforest Kelly and George Takei. Kelly shook my hand, my first celebrity encounter.

I didn't get to see it in the theater - Mom wouldn't let me because it had a naked bald sexy woman in it :(
Hmm, but it was rated G.

I have fond memories of those, I remember getting a blue, translucent communicator watch thing inside of it. I also remember the corny jokes on the side of the box with one of them about Klingons clinging on to the Enterprise.
I remember a slightly different "cling ons" joke :lol

Dec 7th 1979 first showing Valley Circle theater San Diego. I was 13
They had a swirly laserium going on the screen, they didn't seem to realize
they should not show the laser until the opening interlude of Ilea's theme
which was just music and black screen meant for the laser.
When the music started they turned it off. LOL
I consumed it. I would listen along with the photonovel when I got hold
of a audio cassette of the film. I was just happy to have Star Trek back,
I know it was the motionless picture but I still enjoyed it and it still has some cool stuff.

Dec 7th 1979 first showing Valley Circle theater San Diego. I was 13
They had a swirly laserium going on the screen, they didn't seem to realize
they should not show the laser until the opening interlude of Ilea's theme
which was just music and black screen meant for the laser.
When the music started they turned it off. LOL
I consumed it. I would listen along with the photonovel when I got hold
of a audio cassette of the film. I was just happy to have Star Trek back,
I know it was the motionless picture but I still enjoyed it and it still has some cool stuff.

Loved that theater! Beautiful mid-century architecture. It was an enormous single screen theater, which sat 922. Sadly, like so many beautiful cinemas of the past, it was run out of business by multiplexes. I'm happy I saw the last film ever shown there--a special engagement of Coppola's director's cut of The Godfather.

mannvalleycircle.jpg

Loved that theater! Beautiful mid-century architecture. It was an enormous single screen theater, which sat 922. Sadly, like so many beautiful cinemas of the past, it was run out of business by multiplexes. I'm happy I saw the last film ever shown there--a special engagement of Coppola's director's cut of The Godfather.

View attachment 789494

It's now half parking lot and half BevMo. :facepalm

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back