Neill Blomkamp's RoboCop Returns

Re: RoboCop...New movie retcons all sequels

YAY!! Not sure how much I trust this guy though as he thinks Ed Harris was the original Robo.....

But if its all true i'd love it. Especially if they CAN convince PETER WELLER....(Ed Harris :facepalm ) to come back.

They could even use someone else in the suit, CGI the mouth and have Weller do the voice. Just please keep the original or close to Suit and movement style and not that weird style one from the new film. When his helmet retracted he look like one of those creepy bears with the kids faces and he just moved like a guy in a rubber suit.

AND..... AND, Wont it be nice to see the Auto 9 again.......ahhhhhhh.

I`m just all positive about this news. I`ll go all out and say its going to be in the same timeline to boot. Matt black Taurus cop cars, original costume design, Auto 9 and all the whole box and dice. If they are going to go back to the well on this it will be the original well and start a new trend with this messy business of remakes.

With the original writer on board the only logical extension of that would be for Paul Verhoven to take the reins and take us on a blood filled high octane eighties ride and rewrite the way studios approach the method. Hopefully James Cameron has the same idea with his project and that got the ball rolling.

This is what I`ve wanted from George Miller for sooo long. Get your head out of the Wasteland and take us back to Max at the start of it all with XB Falcons and his pal Jim Goose rockin a Kwaka bustin glory rider heads and holdin together the mean streets of Sun City.

Movies have got me down lately as they are generally crap and a movement back to a time and style that had the theatres full with satisfied punters is the only way back.

This is awesome news.

As much as like number 2, I think this is the best way to go to with bringing Robocop back. By picking up after the original it could be anytime after. I hope they'll put some space between the 2. I don't really want to see other people playing young Lewis or Johnson. Maybe even just have Robo move precincts.

They absolutely have to have Weller do the voice if nothing else.

Movies have got me down lately as they are generally crap and a movement back to a time and style that had the theatres full with satisfied punters is the only way back.

I know what you mean, I got a bunch of films backed up and I can't bring myself to get to them, constant stream of promise and disappointment.

One of the things that made Robocop was not just how Peter Weller sounded but how he moved (both of which were lacking in the reboot). He worked with a mime to get the movements down after there were so many problems with the suit. I hope that if this goes through, however they portray Robocop, that they understand this and carry this over from the original.

Here's a great video of Weller talking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

“If they bring back Ed Harris to play Robocop…”

W.T.F. Some of these YT bloggers don’t even stop to think what they’re writing or filming.

Maybe it’s a first draft of an April Fool’s joke.

I only paid attention to the direct quotes from Edward Neumeier. Thats the stuff that got me all excited and hopeful about the future.

The narrator of the video sounds too young to know about the original anyway.;)

Since this thread earlier today I have seen this blowing up all over the place. But the interview is dated the 10th January, how come its only come to the fore now?

You got me mattycsi. Maybe the Logan Paul thing.:lol

I think Peter Well is getting a little old for this. Maybe in the new movie it would be the version replacing his Robocop?

I think Peter Well is getting a little old for this. Maybe in the new movie it would be the version replacing his Robocop?

I think it would still work fine without Weller`s involvement at all. In fact I will say that he was never in the plan to begin with.

Neill Blomkamp to Direct new Robocop film “Robocop Returns”

https://deadline.com/2018/07/roboco...mgm-1202424639/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

MGM is developing a new installment of RoboCop and has set District 9 director Neill Blomkamp to helm the picture, which is titledRoboCop Returns. The studio hopes to revive a franchise that began with the Paul Verhoeven-directed satirical sci-fi action thriller that Orion released in 1987. Original writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing and exec producing, respectively. Justin Rhodes, who co-wrote the Terminator film that Tim Miller is shooting, will rewrite the script that Neumeier and Miner wrote years ago as a planned sequel to Verhoeven’s hit, an installment that never happened. That duo is creatively involved in moving forward their creation for the first time since the original.”
(See article for more)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Neill Blomkamp to Direct new Robocop film “Robocop Returns”

Seems like this retcon-reboot-sequel is gonna be the latest trend in Hollywood...Robocop, Halloween, Terminator...cue obligatory Star Wars joke...:rolleyes
I like Blomkamp and he might be able to make something interesting but I just wish he'd do something original.

With all due respect, Blomkamp is no Verhoeven. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t even understand that RoboCop was a satire.

I don’t want him to use the RoboCop franchise as a platform for his Chappie 2 design notes.

i think the "satire" of the original was the one liner's, as it was kinda a gun slinger "western" and the commercials. "SUX 3000" etc. but to me, they actually did the book alil justice and i wasnt disappointed except for bodickers death... 2 was'nt REALLY bad but the third.... or "turd" installment :sick I only watched the "reboot" on t.v. and im glad i saved my money. if they can make a sequel between 1-2 WITH peter weller etc, then cool, im down to check out the trailer and maybe give it a shot. :cheers

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back