AT-AT 1/144 Bandai on the kitchen table

gt350pony66

Master Member
ATAT1.jpegATAT2.jpegATAT3.jpegATAT4.jpegATAT5.jpegATAT6.jpegATAT7.jpeggot this kit from a coworker whose son lost interest in it. Gladly I accepted, offered to give something for it, but he said just do something cool with it. :thumbsup Although there isn't much lighting you can do to these, I found a few pics of other builds and got an idea of what to do with it. the main thing was lighting the cockpit. I used a 2mm white LED and had to get rid of the prewire and use some micro wire that was left over from one of the remote sensors on the ISD. Worked out pretty good. repositioned the resistor further to the rear as seen in the last pic. decided to use some .50mm FO for some lighting on the main belly that will shine to the ground, a few on the top rear and one on the main body forward behind and above the neck. this one will require the FO to be snipped off after paint as opposed to what I did on the ISD. Should come out nice, though I reckon it won't take long. I did see one kit in google that a guy had the main guns forward that flashed at a high rate, it's impressive but I'm not sure I can pull that off at this scale.

ATAT8.jpegATAT10.jpegATAT9.jpegWell, this one is coming along. Going to be a tight fit for everything though. I figure on placing the either the remote sensor in the upper outer shell, OR...just have the interrupter button switch to turn it on and off. probably the later since space is limited. I got the cockpit lit up, not as good as I'd hoped but it'll do. I also hogged out the inner and outer upper shell to make room for the 9V. it won't be anything dazzling but, better than nothing. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm going to whittle down the two pins in the one piece so the top will slide on and off easily for battery access...the third large pin at the other end is gonzo to make room for the battery.

Looks great. But you have more then enough space in the at-at .
I still have to do the lightning in my at-at.
But I have been to busy with other projects.
I only want the light up go down the legs add into a diorama still to make.
But love to see other people lightning up there models. Not a lot of people light up this model.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

Well thanks, glad you chimed in my friend. I have to admit I've become a lighting mad-man. If there's enough room for a battery...light it up. I do realize there are smaller batteries out there with the correct voltage for the LED's I use, and I probably should look for something else to use besides this 9V, then I could cram more in there...besides, the 9V will make this dude way top heavy, limiting positioning of the legs. Thanks for mentioning the legs, I hadn't thought of concentrating the downward light on the legs, excellent thought and I will follow your lead. put some pics up if you want, I'm good with it. my last thread on the ISD, I invited everyone who wanted to jump in, and it really helped all who took part. Showing each other's work, ideas, everything...made my ISD way better than it would have been. Some guys with their own thread, some not, didn't matter. it was the most fun I'd ever had with a build, hands down. I'm still following along even though mine is done. One of the other guys that was right behind took the wheel. hopefully that thread will go on for a long time. if you have a thread, let me know what and where, I'd love to see what you're doing with yours.:thumbsup
I build MPC Falcon's with all the upgrade parts to make them more correct and I go nuts with the lighting. I just finished a Zvezda Star Destroyer that's full tilt. 30 LED's and over 1300 strands of .25mm fiber...took like 3 months.
Looks great. But you have more then enough space in the at-at .
I still have to do the lightning in my at-at.
But I have been to busy with other projects.
I only want the light up go down the legs add into a diorama still to make.
But love to see other people lightning up there models. Not a lot of people light up this model.

Thanks, me too. I think our friend Socrates here may have some great ideas for this kit swimming around in his head. he already suggested concentrated lighting on the legs, excellent thought. Open invitation for anyone who wants to participate in the thread.(y)cheers
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is where I have been working on last night
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=286468

And I'm working on the republic star destroyer right now. And also just finished the svesda/Ravelling one. Hell of a lot of work.
Links are in my profile I think.
I love lighting myself.. it makes it come alive. I only never want to use Batteries because I build dioramas and I have this all on 12v and timed nighting in my house.
I hate to replace batteries :)

I posted to your thread, looks killer dude, and the base in awesome! Invar and Omnius are the real genius builders as far as I'm concerned. Every detail that's possible at this scale, they've taken up the task and succeeded. I tried duplicating much of what they've done with theirs, not as good of results but it made mine better than it would have been had it not been for their fine examples. my thread is: "1/2700 Star destroyer on the kitchen table" if you want to have a look. Escape068 has also posted a lot of his there, he's a clever one as well. I'm still following along but hope he continues with the thread until he's done and hopefully pass the wheel to someone else. having all that info from so many of us in one thread might help others down the road. :thumbsup
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285068

What is the voltage requirement for the smd's- and what size resistors are you using?

I contemplated lighting up the interior of the head on mine, but it didn't stemlike the impact of the end result would have been worth the effort. But I may come around on that.
Looking at your pics, the one thing I would labor to do is to diffuse the light so that it illuminates the entire window evenly and doesn't hotspot.
and some illumination to the undercarriage sounds like a good idea too. Hadn't considered that before.

And yeah, some coin batteries sound more appropriate for the light requirements of this, rather than using a 9v.

I've been hesitating on a order to Radio Shack. I think I'll be adding some coin battery packs when I finally do get around to placing it. Just need to find the right resistance I guess.

I agree, I was thinking on some foil in the cockpit to spread the lighting l see you ventured the FO to the guns, well if you can do it so can I
I’m using prewired LEDs but I swap in smaller wire where needed like here. And heck yeah, wherever lighting is appropriate and possible, do it up
What is the voltage requirement for the smd's- and what size resistors are you using?

I contemplated lighting up the interior of the head on mine, but it didn't stemlike the impact of the end result would have been worth the effort. But I may come around on that.
Looking at your pics, the one thing I would labor to do is to diffuse the light so that it illuminates the entire window evenly and doesn't hotspot.
and some illumination to the undercarriage sounds like a good idea too. Hadn't considered that before.

And yeah, some coin batteries sound more appropriate for the light requirements of this, rather than using a 9v.

I've been hesitating on a order to Radio Shack. I think I'll be adding some coin battery packs when I finally do get around to placing it. Just need to find the right resistance I guess.

What resistors you need all depends on what voltage your powering the model.
I always power it by 12volt I got 12 power all over in my house and it's all on a timer so I never use batteries. But just to keep it easy not trying to explain all. When you use a part 3v batteries you don't need resistors in most cases when using multiple LEDs.
But when you go to 12 volt I always use 470ohm resistors. But that's when you connect each led in parallel when doing the same in series you need a resistor calculator. Just Google it.
I'm no expert in any way, I'm just doing this a few months same as painting never done that before but I learn fast because I just want to understand how things work..
And I experiment until it works.
A lot of times it goes wrong.. but that's just fun... Brings other solution's ;)
5d7f143d26e1098f151c629a58aa6b4c.jpg
8b719e832a99d6bef4f2e029ec688c00.jpg

ATATlites1.jpegATATlites2.jpegATATlites3.jpegATATlites4.jpegATATlites5.jpegATATlites6.jpegATATlites7.jpegATATlites8.jpegATATlites9.jpegWell, got back from a short business trip Friday night, had honey-dos all Saturday and Sunday AM, this is what I managed on Sunday afternoon. On the advise of Miles, I pulled the cockpit apart and installed some aluminum foil in an effort to spread the lighting better. it was successful, not to what I had hoped but that was probably due to what I chose to do. however it worked good enough for me. I hogged out the inner shell in the rear for the FO coming from the outer shell and also cut out the inner to allow for the FO that is in the main lower. I decided to just use the interrupt switch for power rather than it and a remote. I found a double coin battery holder I had from a previous project that did the job, and fit better in the space I had available. A pair of 2032's. Restrung all my FO and though it was cumbersome, I managed to stuff all of it and the wiring into the thing and snap it together. shot it with Citadel black and then with the Corax white. I got some good shading in areas desired but with certainly still do a wash and some pastel work. Various small pieces still need to be attached to the main body, the legs are assembled and ready for paint. As I thought, this thread will be a short one. I did attempt to drill the main guns for FO, but it just wasn't going to work. one barrel got hot and melted out on me, so I had to cut it and reattach to muzzle, but as I recall, those barrels had a recoil motion to them so it will just appear that one is shorter and in recoil. I suppose if I had drilled slower and just a bump at a time, the thing would not have gotten hot and melted. Oh well, it'll be good enough for who it's for.

I built one of these back in June, and it was a really fun build. I only did so because I needed a break from the Zvezda SDII build. I haven't weathered or painted it yet - but I'm not sure I am going to light the AT-AT, given I have a 144 Bandai Falcon still in the box I fully intend to light whenever I get the mammoth Zvezda finished.

But hey - am impressed you are turning into a maniac with the lighting. Looks great!

Thanks! A lighting freak I am :thumbsup but I need to start using more of this micro wire, the regular stuff is way too big for these smaller models. And I need to aquire more cion battery holders. I've got a 1/72 Xwing, a regular Tie and the Vader Tie, all of which will get light, but I'm going to have to get a couple rolls, one red, one black to make it possible. then I can really get nutty. I've been using only the wire that comes on the prewired LED's and similar which has been fine for the 1/72 Falcons and the ISD but to light these little guys much smaller wire will be needed.
I built one of these back in June, and it was a really fun build. I only did so because I needed a break from the Zvezda SDII build. I haven't weathered or painted it yet - but I'm not sure I am going to light the AT-AT, given I have a 144 Bandai Falcon still in the box I fully intend to light whenever I get the mammoth Zvezda finished.

But hey - am impressed you are turning into a maniac with the lighting. Looks great!

hey, speaking of Falcons...I'm going to haul another one of my MPC's out of the closet this year, build it to the 9's but this time have in run off of 110 through a transformer or whatever those things are, build the X wing and a couple snow speeders and scratch a partial of Echo base hangar in a wall cut out that's like 3ft wide, 18in high and I think 2 ft deep. where the ISD currently resides...and light it all up. How's that for a big lighting project? site stuck again...pic to follow...

- - - Updated - - -

echo base 1.JPGecho base 2.JPG something to this effect but with the other few vehicles, before the imperial attack

AT-AT1.jpegAT-AT2.jpegAT-AT3.jpegAT-AT4.jpegAT-AT5.jpegAT-AT6.jpegthe difference in the cockpit lighting is certainly measurable and I'm satisfied with it. if I ever do another one of these I'll put two 2mm LED's in there rather than one. decided to go with the one switch and put it on the outer shell, kinda looks like a switch, but I think it blends...besides it's on the non-display side. I'm a bit concerned that the downward FO won't end up illuminating the legs and belly as well as I'd hoped, but I can still unsnap the shell to add a few more, perhaps at an angle. we'll see once the legs are on it. got the legs primed in black and one side with the final color, as well as all the belly barrel items. looking forward to washing this one, think it's really going to pop.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back