AT-AT 1/144 Bandai on the kitchen table

hey, speaking of Falcons...I'm going to haul another one of my MPC's out of the closet this year, build it to the 9's but this time have in run off of 110 through a transformer or whatever those things are, build the X wing and a couple snow speeders and scratch a partial of Echo base hangar in a wall cut out that's like 3ft wide, 18in high and I think 2 ft deep. where the ISD currently resides...and light it all up. How's that for a big lighting project? site stuck again...pic to follow...

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 791133 something to this effect but with the other few vehicles, before the imperial attack

Not sure how big that model diorama was that Adywan built for Empire Revisited, methinks it took up a good portion of his living room if memory recalls. I think that is the Finemold's Falcon also the he has in there.

I went by my hobby shop today, had some store credit. I took him a bunch of stuff I had decided I wasn't going to build a few months back. Heck, he's sold alot of it. He's taking a chunk, 30%, but I had like 150 bucks credit...so I pulled the trigger on the Bandai PG Falcon. I din't want one because it was ANH only 3 landing gear. However, I emailed good buddy Tony of 308 Bits. He's done a few things for that kit, and EVERYTHING for the MPC, and some at my request, great dude. I asked him if he'd thought about doing the ESB front gear boxes for the Bandai...he said, "sure man, give me some measurements and I'll get started". I got a FM Falcon in the closet I haven't touched yet so I'll pull the specs from that one. Awesome sauce! So I guess my future in-wall diorama will be Bandai pieces and run it all off a wall plug so I can leave it on as long as I like. I'm fairly excited :thumbsup Do you know where pics are of Adywan's work? I'd love to see that :popcorn
Not sure how big that model diorama was that Adywan built for Empire Revisited, methinks it took up a good portion of his living room if memory recalls. I think that is the Finemold's Falcon also the he has in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my hobby shop guy was only charging 400 for it.

ATAT18.jpegATAT17.jpegATAT19.jpegATAT20.jpegATAT11.jpegATAT12.jpegATAT13.jpegATAT14.jpegATAT15.jpegATAT16.jpegATAT21.jpegATAT22.jpegthis is the best I could do with it. I made a second effort with the main guns. precision pin-vise by hand, slow ans steady. took her all apart and added a flickering red LED just for the guns, and of course spent time drilling more for the FO to feed them. used dark gray pastel with a new fine tip paint brush for the weathering, also did some black gray wash just prior to the pastel. I brushed on the wash pretty much everywhere and dabbed with paper towel and/or q-tips. But the legs I used the tiny pump spray bottle and just let it run down and dabbed the excess that settled at the feet. Wasn't a huge project, but I think it turned out well given the effort I put toward it.
now I've started the 1/72 Bandai X-wing that will be for my Echo base ice cave hangar diorama. I pretty easily lit a 1/48 X-Wing...but this little dude is proving to be a challenge very early on. I'll start another thread for that pretty soon. "X-Wing fighter 1/72 Bandai on the kitchen table"

Very nice job. I like the weathering and all the lighting!!! You are really moving on these builds. I see you started another one. I have to get moving and finish my SD

View attachment 792744View attachment 792745View attachment 792746View attachment 792747View attachment 792748View attachment 792749View attachment 792751View attachment 792752View attachment 792754View attachment 792755View attachment 792756View attachment 792757this is the best I could do with it. I made a second effort with the main guns. precision pin-vise by hand, slow ans steady. took her all apart and added a flickering red LED just for the guns, and of course spent time drilling more for the FO to feed them. used dark gray pastel with a new fine tip paint brush for the weathering, also did some black gray wash just prior to the pastel. I brushed on the wash pretty much everywhere and dabbed with paper towel and/or q-tips. But the legs I used the tiny pump spray bottle and just let it run down and dabbed the excess that settled at the feet. Wasn't a huge project, but I think it turned out well given the effort I put toward it.
now I've started the 1/72 Bandai X-wing that will be for my Echo base ice cave hangar diorama. I pretty easily lit a 1/48 X-Wing...but this little dude is proving to be a challenge very early on. I'll start another thread for that pretty soon. "X-Wing fighter 1/72 Bandai on the kitchen table"

Great dob you did on the weathering (not to undo anything to this model) but I don't really like the white lights on top and the 1white one on the top front. But besides that it's awesome... I truly love how it came out! A+

I'm happy to be crazy :)

Thanks my friend :thumbsup The AT was like a take a break build. if I had it to do again, I think I'd have gone with four 2mm LED for the "down leg" lighting. The .50 FO is there, but grossly insufficient. oh well, not a kit I wanted to put too much effort in anyway. The Xwing is proving to be a challenge for lighting though. it was easy enough to light a 1/48, but the 1/72 and it being a Bandai is a bit more difficult due to the smaller scale and the construction of the Bandai kits in general. But, I plan to use this one in my Echo Base diorama so it's got to be right. Along with the Bandai PG Falcon I recently acquired. That will be the next large, long project. At present I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about changing the ANH version Bandai, to the ESB with the extra landing gear. It looks like the Shapeways add-on gear boxes are just about right for it but I'm still working things out... it's all fun though to be sure!!
Very nice job. I like the weathering and all the lighting!!! You are really moving on these builds. I see you started another one. I have to get moving and finish my SD

I forgot to mention, the Shapeways add-ons are made for the MPC Falcon, which has the same hull contour as the Bandai. I've traded a couple emails with Tony 308bits, who designed the MPC parts regarding the upgrade to this one. The actual hull diameter of the Bandai is larger than an MPC which is supposed to be some off kilter scale like 1/68 or something, where the Bandai is a true 1/72 like the Fine Molds, but the FM is actually the smallest of the 3 kits. I've got a set of the blue Moon upgrade gear boxes...somewhere, but if I remember correctly, they are the smaller, more shallow boxes like what is on the FM. :wacko

I like Tony 308 bits. He is very accommodating on requests. He made me the Bell deflectors separate not attached to the spruces. He posted it on Shapeways after I contacted him.

The only think I hate about the printed parts is they are so brittle. I dropped one of the bells 2 feet from my table and the inner back ring broke off. I contacted falcon 3DParts and he sent me another one free of charge I only had to pay shipping.

I wish they can use a plastic that is more resilient than they currently use.

I forgot to mention, the Shapeways add-ons are made for the MPC Falcon, which has the same hull contour as the Bandai. I've traded a couple emails with Tony 308bits, who designed the MPC parts regarding the upgrade to this one. The actual hull diameter of the Bandai is larger than an MPC which is supposed to be some off kilter scale like 1/68 or something, where the Bandai is a true 1/72 like the Fine Molds, but the FM is actually the smallest of the 3 kits. I've got a set of the blue Moon upgrade gear boxes...somewhere, but if I remember correctly, they are the smaller, more shallow boxes like what is on the FM. :wacko

I can't say that I disagree with your assessment, I only did those lights you're referring to because I saw a couple others in a google search where they had done them, thinking that I had to do more than just the cockpit, guns and the belly lighting.
Great dob you did on the weathering (not to undo anything to this model) but I don't really like the white lights on top and the 1white one on the top front. But besides that it's awesome... I truly love how it came out! A+

I'm happy to be crazy :)

Totally agree, Tony is the goods for sure. And 3D is very accommodating, Gus is a great guy as well. I ruined the bells from my first set and he sold me another 3, just the bells for 10 bucks each, no freight. And yes, if those pieces weren't so brittle it'd be great.
I like Tony 308 bits. He is very accommodating on requests. He made me the Bell deflectors separate not attached to the spruces. He posted it on Shapeways after I contacted him.

The only think I hate about the printed parts is they are so brittle. I dropped one of the bells 2 feet from my table and the inner back ring broke off. I contacted falcon 3DParts and he sent me another one free of charge I only had to pay shipping.

I wish they can use a plastic that is more resilient than they currently use.

echo attack1.jpegecho attack2.jpegpetite speeder1.jpegpetite speeder2.jpegpetite speeder3.jpegso I got the Bandai speeder set just because...this tiny one goes with the AT-AT I was gifted, so that's cool. Still going to do the tow cable around the legs and I found a larger tile of white textured for the base at a local plastic place, also got some clear rod in 1/4 and 3/8. going use the skinny stuff to support the speeder. And yes...I'm still considering lighting the little dude. A pico or nano would be enough if I can hog out the canopy...and if I can conceal the wire in the tow cable. we shall see. I never planned this really, but I thought the 1/48 would go nicely with the Deago kit...whenever I get to it :confused

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back