Painting printed items from shapeways - major issue!

Kokanee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have used shapeways to print the emitter from a discovery phaser i'm building in their detail frosted product, and it takes paint just fine but after drying, seems to cure in reverse. It gets extremely tacky and does not cure properly. i washed and scrubbed the part with water a dish soap then rinsed and dry before painting... Anyone out there have experience with a problem such as this?

Thanks!

Yes of course! With an automotive filler primer I've been using for years on other projects just fine. The part seems alright after I prime it, it's just after I apply any paint to it. It's reacted the same regardless with a black krylon paint, a metallic "soft iron" coloured paint, and a testors metallic grey paint...Stripping after each one of course I'm not mixing a bunch of paint brands etc.....

Heat is out as a way of kickstarting the curing process as the rest of the phaser is PLA.

I've been painting for years (models, warhammer, props etc) and never seen anything like this before.

I just snapped the emitter cleanly off of the rest of the phaser, and will try a low 65 celcius run in the oven to cure the paint. Here's hoping.

For painting 3D prints one thing to consider is the type of material. If it's nylon there's a chance it has absorbed a lot of moisture. Drying it out before painting or priming will help.

Weird, I used that same material for my Carnwennan build and had no issues.

Perhaps it is a bad run of the material/product then, and it isn't fully cured/reacting with the paint.

I'll have to print out the emitter in PLA on my ultimaker then *sigh*.

Thank you to everyone for the thoughts/suggestions.

That material is a UV cured acrylic. You might have been able to make it finish curing in sunlight or a UV grow light. But with paint on it, there isn't much you can do. It won't cure on its own. Contact Shapeways, they offer refunds or reprints for most parts. Unless you selected "Print it anyways"

Edit: Did you see this post also:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=286382

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back