A New Hope blast shield helmet .

CatfoodRob

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For my next project I'm going to attempt a replica of the blast shield x wing helmetbthat Luke wears on the Milennium Falcon .
However, I expected research photos to,be a lot easier to find than they have been .
There are just two main photos all over google, and the actual video clip is on YouTube, but up close detail photos seem rare .
Has anyone here got any decent ones ? Has it ever appeared at an exhibition ? Any help much appreciated .

These are the two commonest photos I've located

70d6c2aec874c88a9bdeec7a15083ae5.jpeg
2e6299530105ec636f47596a875dd837.jpeg

And here is the helmet I'm going to paint . It's a pre production helmet from RS Propmasters , who are releasing an x wing helmet later this year .

72380cdb380d5c2410de35ab8e4e1185.jpg

I've already done the centre stripes as you can see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the good thing is the helmet is the same for all of the fighter helmets including the atat and tie fighter helmets. Of coarse the class helmets are different like the A,B, and Y wings. Starwarshelmets.com will have some nice resource pics for you as well.

The helmet in its RotJ reworking has been on display at the identities exhibition. It will be worth have a look for those pictures.

No, I don't think the hsield is a found part . It's a pretty complicated shape, with curved sides. It's going to be interesting attempting to make it accurate .
All the details are hand painted , no decals which also poses a fun problem . The flaming meteors ,or whatever they are supposed to be , on the crown will be a challenge . They look simple until you study them closely . They are both different, and placed un equally on the crown .

i think some bending of a ABS sheet would do the trick for the blast shield. make some cardboard templates first, or even the really lightweight school project boards you get at the dollar store. the thin versions

i really look forward to what you come up with, keep us posted with updates of the progress! :thumbsup

Many thanks y wing fighter , great photos. It's totally different in its new paint , but it's the first time I've seen the rear . Many thanks.

I thought it was a bmx chest protector , so maybe the blast shield is a bmx visor like Andyroo said .
In fact I've just had a quick look at eBay and there are some very very similar helmet visors out there . So I think andyroo is right .
With the current high prices for anything vintage bmx , I think I'll go down the fabrication route for now .
Anyone got clear photos of it ?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back