Directors that deserve to be seen in the theatre?

astroboy

Master Member
Are their any directors left who you will always follow to the theatre?
I seems like ever since the tentpole films, I rarely see anything else in the theatre.

Back in the 90's, I saw movies of every genre. And their we're certain artists that had to be seen on the big screen.

It feels like Richard linklater and Edgar wright are two that still make "event" movies that I need to see in the theatre.

Tarantino is also one who deserves our attention. Maybe Christopher Nolan.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tarantino definitely. But typically my rule of thumb is "big, flashy special fx film should be seen in a theater. Smaller, more intimate stories work as well in either setting." Having said that, if a movie's concept really intrigues me, I'll see it in a theater regardless (I rushed right out for Safety Not Guaranteed and Her, for instance). Tarantino is the only director I really get unequivocally excited over though. There are tons of great directors but his "brand" is rock solid with me.

Tarantino definitely. But typically my rule of thumb is "big, flashy special fx film should be seen in a theater. Smaller, more intimate stories work as well in either setting." Having said that, if a movie's concept really intrigues me, I'll see it in a theater regardless (I rushed right out for Safety Not Guaranteed and Her, for instance). Tarantino is the only director I really get unequivocally excited over though. There are tons of great directors but his "brand" is rock solid with me.

I've always had this mentality too. Ever since the first Sam Raimi spider-man.

But I think that's where I went wrong because in all honesty, things have been feeling more and more hollow ever since. Other than a couple of bright spots, (Avatar, Fury road) very few of these big, flashy movies have paid off by seeing them in the theatre. (I first saw Spiderman 2 on a small tv and it was a cam shot from inside a theatre and it was badass) When I think about the MCU films, none of them really offered a better experience by seeing them in the theatre. Not one that stuck with me, anyway.

Because before that, I would pay to see smart films by smart directors in the theatre. Things like Boogie nights, or Happiness. Even Canadian and foreign films (I'm Canadian)

Any director who used extreme aspect ratios, which don't translate well to TVs,
such as Abel Gance's Napoleon (4:1) and William Wyler's Ben Hur (2.89:1).

IMG_3968.JPGIMG_3970.JPG

Denis Villeneuve....Arrival, 2049, Sicario, Enemy just to name a few that visually are/would have been amazing to see in a theater experience.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back