Need help with Ultraman prop

GrinningDemon

I'm wanting to make a Beta Capsule from the original Ultraman. I have found tons of reference pics but I can't seem to find something that makes the body of the capsule. I'm hoping someone can help me otherwise all I can think to do is shape some PVC pipe. This is going to be for something I'm making about Ready Player One. download.jpg

I'm wanting to make a Beta Capsule from the original Ultraman. I have found tons of reference pics but I can't seem to find something that makes the body of the capsule. I'm hoping someone can help me otherwise all I can think to do is shape some PVC pipe. This is going to be for something I'm making about Ready Player One. View attachment 788733

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The top looks metal...but is it metal only or in a dome....and are you just wanting the non-metal part ?

What size dimensions are the object ?

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The top looks metal...but is it metal only or in a dome....and are you just wanting the non-metal part ?

What size dimensions are the object ?

I believe the body of it is metal or plastic and the top is clear plastic since it lights up. I know the overall thing is 11in tall.
Ultraman-Beta-Capsule-3.jpg

i'd let you have mine but i'm not allowed to let another human touch it!

lol

....but seriously i'm sure someone has a 3d printed kit of this somewhere!

I can have a basic 3D model file ready by Sunday evening (this has been on my to-do list for a little over four months now...) do you now how many slots are in the light cover? it looks like 5. also, Ultraman, is there a bevel at the bottom of the silver topper? (see picture #2) or is it just a gap?

Demon, would you like the button to be modeled or just have a hole in the side?

- - - Updated - - -

detail_01.JPGdetail_02.JPG

Near as I can tell, this will be a 5 piece main assembly, plus a switch.

Last edited:
I can have a basic 3D model file ready by Sunday evening (this has been on my to-do list for a little over four months now...) do you now how many slots are in the light cover? it looks like 5. also, Ultraman, is there a bevel at the bottom of the silver topper? (see picture #2) or is it just a gap?

Demon, would you like the button to be modeled or just have a hole in the side?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 791953View attachment 791954

Near as I can tell, this will be a 5 piece main assembly, plus a switch.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I would like a hole so I can work in a real button. Thanks!

Not a problem. I'm in the middle of an AvP Shoulder cannon right now, and I'd still like some additional details; like the number of slots in the light/crystal area, also, do we have any additional details on the crystal itself? I actually ordered the series to watch, so I should be able to answer a lot of these kinds of questions soon. I'll post progress pictures when available.

I've made another two of the pieces. I've smoothed out the taper transition on the body and made the black section and the chrome plug:
Body-Black_v1.2.JPGBody-Blue_v1.2.JPGBottom-Plug-Chrome.JPG

The Black section has a hole modeled into it for the button. It is 1.73mm in diameter, in case someone wanted to fill it in, all they would need it a section of filament. Yes, I know that's 0.02mm under standard diameter, this ensures a snug dry fit. This way, you have the registration for the proper location, but may use a different button than I probably will.

I've modeled the body pieces with a 3mm wall thickness (the photos show a 4mm, but doing some test rings told me this was way too overbuilt, and reduced my on-hand button options significantly) and the end cap with a 2.5mm wall thickness. I'll be attempting these in PLA tonight. I'll come back tomorrow with (hopefully) more models and remarks on how this is going.

Got the Main body off the printer this morning:

P_20180215_012601.jpg

(not sure why I can't rotate this on desktop...)

It's printed at Potato quality right now, but will be great for a proof-of-concept. I'm thinking the wall thickness is way too much at this point,but because it only has 10% infill it still feels like paper... we'll see how the whole thing behaves when assembled. The black arrow and button portion is printing now, so we'll see how that addition changes the structure. i had to cut both body portions in order to print upright, but they align without much issue. Can;t wait to see the whole thing together!!!

((UPDATE))

Got the Top off the printer. it's not what i was expecting:

P_20180215_124452.jpg

(Again with the frakkin rotation!!!)

Regardless. The taper is off! a quick check tells me that I double tapped a 2 and had a decimal a power down. whoops. I'm not sure why the tip's come off all craggly, I wonder if that's due to the lack of a significant minimum layer time. I'll have to play with that later. I've sent the corrected taper model to the printer with the end cap and those should be done by the time I get home from work. If these go together fairly well, then I'll be set. On a side note: i have these really old breadboards i received when my high school got a revamped electronics setup that, if you trim the male puzzle chunks, fit right in:
P_20180215_124701.jpg

(alright, what now... I rotated this on my computer before uploading it...)

Capture.JPG

I'm going to be trying those tiny ones you can get from Spark Fun or Micro Center, just because...

Last edited:
IIRC it was a microphone, not an oral thermometer holder.

Thanks mgoob! I'll send the word out to my audiophile friends and see if they come up with anything.

Another update: I've modeled the crystal topper, and am actually quite pleased with my results...
comparrison_02.png
I have been notified by other parties that the original 11" measurement is quite overshot, so I'll be watching the series, which finally came in on Sunday, to see if i can get a rough scale before I can figure out the make/model of microphone... Once I get a solid scale, I can print/finish/cast the crystal and spend time creating the endcaps and sourcing the proper paint... I'm going to try to not use mixed paints as that seems like it'll be hard to replicate on your end... If I find something that's close I'll post the Sherwin Williams code for it, or whichever color gets closer to zero.

IMAG0299.jpg

That fact is something I remember from an accurate run done here about a decade ago.

RPF user Rylo has confirmed that they issued a run about that long ago and that their capsule was - to quote them - Certainly not anywhere near 11"though - I have sat through the first two episodes and, while a train wreck by today's standards of special effects, was quite enjoyable. I can absolutely agree with Rylo's claim, unless Hayata is about 8 feet tall. then the 11 inch dimension would be closer to accurate. I'm guessing a dimension around 8 inches would be closer to accurate, and I will be doing further testing once my printer is a little more freed up. Until then, I'll continue my hunt for a standard in the movie.

I should note that I have heard back from a couple of my audio-related friends and, while they have not come up with "the" microphone, have produced an impressive list of possible options. I'll whittle it down some and remove duplicates prior to posting their suggestions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
After some research, I've settled on an 8 inch long capsule. I'd be willing to modify the files to a custom length as desired, and will be available to email them around 9:00 P.M. CST tonight, 2/27. PM me for requests. I can cut up the files however you'd like, but there will be a 24 hour delay in emailing if this is the case. I'll be uploading pictures of the newly scaled models and prints tomorrow.

I'll also add that I have 2 separate versions available:
Version A is the same way I've modeled it in my earlier posts, with the black body portion modeled separately, Version A includes Five parts.
Version B is a one piece body with slight indentations at the base and tip of the arrow separation lines. Version B has the cylindrical black body portion modeled separately, so there will be five parts to this version as well.

Last edited:
I know it's been a week, but the files are available upon request. I'm currently working on a version 2 which will have a threaded insert so the chrome and crystal can screw off for charging or general access. and I'll post an update when that's ready to run.

Building this has spawned a thought that I thought I should bring up: How many buildings did Hayata take out with his foot by changing into Ultraman on his belly/back?

Do you still have this file? If so I'd desperately like to aquire a copy for my upcoming Halloween costume. Thanks in advance!

I apologize for dropping off this thread, but a failed hard drive has put me in catch-up mode for a while. I have finished a cleaner version of the device, albeit sans promised threaded connection.

Attached below is the latest file I have. If for whatever reason this has become corrupted, then it should be able to be had from my website for nothing at all. (LINK HERE)

Cheers, and remember not to stand under any structures when you press the button.
View attachment BETA_CapsuleV5.zip

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back