Costume Appropriateness at Shows

mcdavies

OK...I have no experience with these shows and need opinions from those of you who are...

My son (21 y/o) is a HUGE Black Panther fan. He wants me to go to the Toronto Comicon in that costume but he's Caucasian. Do you think anyone would find that inappropriate / offensive? The last thing we'd want to do is upset anyone. I'm even concerned asking for thoughts here as it might make people uncomfortable..however, better here than at the show!

Thanks in advance for your help...you all know the nature of those who attend shows far better than I...

Mark

I don't see any problem with it. I think it's cool that Black Panther is his favorite superhero. I recently saw pics of a boy who cosplayed Wonder Woman and it was awesome. I think as long as he doesn't do his cosplay in blackface, he should be fine.

It's definitely a concern. There will probably be people who are upset and who might see it as offensive, or at least inappropriate. It's a sticky situation and your son will have to decide for himself if he thinks he would be okay with disapproving looks or comments. He won't get the chance to explain to everyone who sees him that he's wearing the costume because he loves the character. Not everyone is going to have the same reaction to this. Some people are going to think it's awesome, others are going to be hurt or angry.

This is a hard situation to navigate. I'm firmly of the mind that anyone should be able to cosplay any character, no matter their ethnicity, gender, or body type. However, having a white person cosplay a character of colour is a potentially loaded situation (as you're aware, since you started this thread!). There are comparatively so few characters of colour in media that he might be seen as "stealing" one by dressing as Black Panther. He needs to be aware of that, and that he's broaching a sensitive and emotionally/politically-laden topic by wearing the costume.

If he decides he still wants to wear the costume, he needs to wear it in a respectful way. Definitely no blackface! Don't put on a fake Wakandan accent, as that might be seen as mocking African accents. Don't say anything rude or intolerant while in the costume (especially pertaining to race). And be prepared for the possibility of people being hurt or upset or angry and don't get angry at them in return. He'll have to have a thick skin.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda land where Yrien is on this...no matter how respectful he is, there's going to be negative responses. It will be up to him, but I think maybe another character may be the best option. Will let you know what he decides.

How many Batman costumes have we seen with a black face , many if it matters then their Racist I'll shouldn't matter dress as you feel

Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda land where Yrien is on this...no matter how respectful he is, there's going to be negative responses. It will be up to him, but I think maybe another character may be the best option. Will let you know what he decides.
Come on this is Toronto folks. No matter what he cosplay as he will upset someone.
I am not trying to come off as being anti-Torontonian here but this is a city rich in it's bitching. He can have a great costume and wear it with respect to the character and the community and still someone would say something. Just stay strong is all I have to say. For the record I am building a War-Machine and I am white. Have a great time...

Anyone offended by it is ridiculous. Cosplaying a character you love, respect and admire isn't a bad thing, doesn't matter what race the character is. Just don't do something stupid like blackface. If someone complains, tell them you admire the character and it's as simple as that. If they get aggressive and rude, walk away.

We've seen the reverse in action plenty of times, when POC cosplayers have dressed as non-POC characters. And from what I've seen, there's been support from within the community and hate from outside it (usually the same sources who'd lash out regardless). In general there tends to be a vocal minority who hate on anyone that cosplays as anything other than what they were born as, be it race, gender, age, or orientation. And there's a (sometimes silent) majority who will applaud all cosplay, especially when it's more difficult to pull off given the limitations of your body. Thick skin is the one accessory that isn't optional in cosplay. As others have said, I think it'll come down to his portrayal and how respectful he is of the issue and character.

We've seen the reverse in action plenty of times, when POC cosplayers have dressed as non-POC characters. And from what I've seen, there's been support from within the community and hate from outside it (usually the same sources who'd lash out regardless). In general there tends to be a vocal minority who hate on anyone that cosplays as anything other than what they were born as, be it race, gender, age, or orientation. And there's a (sometimes silent) majority who will applaud all cosplay, especially when it's more difficult to pull off given the limitations of your body. Thick skin is the one accessory that isn't optional in cosplay. As others have said, I think it'll come down to his portrayal and how respectful he is of the issue and character.

I'll say it: Black guys look cool as hell in the Luke ROTJ costume.

My take is kind of the same as my response when people mentioned men playing female characters in WoW...They aren't women, but they aren't really elves either. Pretending is not just part of it, but pretty much the whole point of what's happening. I say more power to you.

But...in honestly, Yes someone might be bothered. Seems like someone is bothered by everything these days.

also...I thought this thread was going to be about showing too much skin. Kind of disappointed.

It seems fine when people do this in reverse so just do it. Shying away from stuff like this is what adds fuel to problems and divisions.
If anyone says anything bad play the race card and go to the papers.

Costuming = costuming ,nothing more,nothing less.It is done to have fun,not to ridicule (why else spend money on building a suit?).
People who attach more meaning to it than it's supposed to have simply have nothing better to do than make trouble.They ruin the atmosphere at Conventions.

Political-correctness shouldn't lead to cencorship.THAT in and of itself is un-democratic and politically incorrect.
Urging society to be respectful towards anyone and anything = absolutely necessary. But don't go overboard by denying someone the God given right to dress up as their favorite character.

Last edited:
Well said George, you hit the nail on the head there if political correctness is not checked it goes so far and becomes politically incorrect. Stop being stupid and just dress up and if someone says something insulting to your kid swing for them.

It doesn't matter what direction it's coming from...a witch hunt is still a witch hunt,and a Comic Con is nothing more than a Comic Con :)
I think it's important that it remains a neutral event where EVERYONE can have fun,and that it doesn't become a 'Billboard' or (Political) 'Arena' of some sort where people settle their differences.

Last edited:
My position is always do what you want to do and if someone gets offended and insults you for doing it on the basis of race, call them a racist. That is, after all, what they are.

Well,respect should work both ways.If you sincerely state that you have absolutely no ill will and merely dress up as the character in question because you admire it (mind you: this concerns a suit with mask,so NO facepainting),then that should be enough and accepted by the questioner.
But should this trend of excessive criticism that borders 'reversed' intolerance or even agression continue or get worse,then I would think twice buying a ticket for any convention.It is simply not worth it running the gauntlet all day,even in your favorite costume...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back