Determining what material to use for prop

ERen89

I am about to make an M8 Avenger rifle from Mass Effect, as I have always wanted to. I want to stay away from EVA foam, although I know you can get wonderful results, I just personally am not a foam fan. Which is why I keep putting off making N7 armor all together.

Anyways I want to start with this new project, and wondering what you prop makers would consider for material? I might slush cast in the end eventually for a final resin product, but in the mean time I am trying to determine my options. I found a few threads of people using MDF, though I am curious of the weight at the end.

Is this for a one-off or a small production run?

I see that there are papercraft models available for the M8 Avenger rifle. I have long thought that it should be possible to use a papercraft model for a sci-fi gun but instead of building from paper, use styrene.
Of course, you would have to adjust for the thickness of the styrene in places. Use toy gun parts for difficult parts such as pistol grip, and PVC pipes and fittings for barrel end, scope and such. Use solvent-based glue for plastics ("poly cement") to weld the parts together. Maybe some blocks of wood for structural rigidity in places.
The end result could be both light and sturdy, similar to if there was a life-size plastic toy version of the gun but only a bit heavier.

This is just for fun, no intention for production. But maybe I will in future depending on how it turns out. I do have plenty of MDF at the moment. I havent made anything to this scale tho with it. Of course I will use other materials in the mix but for a nice core base material, I am getting more curious about using MDF for this particular prop

What are you comfortable working with? For some, foam is a material of choice because it is easy to work, for others paper. Personally, I like hard plastics like Perspex. Less forgiving if you make a mistake, but when you make a good part, you have a quality finished part.

MDF is also great, but dusty. Can be heavy if making a huge weapon.

What are you comfortable working with? For some, foam is a material of choice because it is easy to work, for others paper. Personally, I like hard plastics like Perspex. Less forgiving if you make a mistake, but when you make a good part, you have a quality finished part.

MDF is also great, but dusty. Can be heavy if making a huge weapon.

Perspex/acrylic is tough to cut with anything but a saw, unless you have access to a laser cutter.

Personally, I make pretty much everything from acrylic & abs but I've the tools to make working with it easy.
I'd suggest foamex, it's a pvc sheet material thats cheap, comes in a variety of colours, cuts easily with a scalpel & can be solvent welded with tetrahydrofuran.
I only avoid it as the glued edges tend to stay too soft for sanding for about a couple of hours or so after gluing & I'm too impatient for that! Lol

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Okay so in the end I finally made my decision and went with MDF, inspired by Volpin's build. I have been getting more and more into wood working, so it is a good opportunity to continue to dive deeper. At least for the initial build. I then will likely make resin casts of it later on.

I do have a question though. What is the best way to keep your edges clean and even? I have a number of tools I am jumping between;

Band saw, scroll saw, belt sander, dremel, and jigsaw

Some edges I was able to easily get down to the template line evenly, it is more so in those corners and hard to reach places. I try my dremel, but it proves difficult to keep the sides square with the face. Should I keep cutting little by little with the band and scroll saw?

View attachment 789469

Personally I'd use metal tubing for the gun barrel just so it feels like a gun. I try to use as much metal as my skills allow so it feels real.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back