What do people generally use for mold making material and resin?

BlueSaber

I've been using some Alumilite kits that work really well but they're for very small projects and expensive given how little amount you get.

What do people generally use for big things they want to replicate such as a hammer or a lightsaber? I like silicone so far but not necessary.

Hi, I have very limited experience with casting but I thought the only good option was the silicone and casting resin as you are using. I myslef have googled quite a bit trying to find cheaper options but came up trumps. The mold making silicone used is designed for the job so it gives the best results by far. There are various different casting resins however, but I think the silicone is all the same. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure even the pros all use the silicone.

As for making molds of really big items people normaly "jacket" the mold, otherwise known as matrix molding. Its a technique where you only use a thin layer of the silicone around the piece (around 1cm thick or so) and then hold that layer together with something like a fiberglass jacket. This is done purely to minimise the amount of silicone used, since as you said it is expensive.

Google it, there are loads of tutorials online xD. Punished props is a good place to start.

I've been using some Alumilite kits that work really well but they're for very small projects and expensive given how little amount you get.

What do people generally use for big things they want to replicate such as a hammer or a lightsaber? I like silicone so far but not necessary.

Alumilite is a great brand. Yes, the small kits are expensive, much like with other brands, but Alumilite also sells larger resin and RTV kits. I've had far less problems with Alumilite than I've had with Smooth-on.

TazMan2000

I dig smooth-on mold max and the 300 resin. I also use Illuseffect tin cure on eBay, pretty solid product.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back