Tin Silicone in place of Platinum?

stopmo

Hello everyone,

I'm producing a stop motion short for my thesis. I've done stop motion quite a bit before but using the latex build-up process. I'd really like to cast the puppets in silicone for this but I've had some problems using dragon skin in the past, it seems quite temperamental and it's cure was inhibited by either the gloves I was using or my clay/release agent.

I saw a post from a stop motion puppet creator who said smooth-on mold max could be used in it's place and would have the same coloration, translucency and take pigment similarly. I know some of the downfalls on tin cure silicone can be reduced lifespan and chemical leaching but these puppets would only have to exist for a couple of months and aren't something like appliances that would have direct contact to human skin.

That one recommendation was the only information I could find on using mold max in this capacity though, I was hoping someone here has some experience or knowledge in that area and could tell me if it would be a bad idea?

Thank you very much for your time,

James

If you don't need the puppets to be elastic (stretchable) then a transparent tin silicone would work for you.

However, I think you should try Dragon Skin FX PRO. It cures way faster than regular dragon skin and is harder to inhibit. I was about to give up on Dragon Skin until I tried that one

If you don't need the puppets to be elastic (stretchable) then a transparent tin silicone would work for you.

However, I think you should try Dragon Skin FX PRO. It cures way faster than regular dragon skin and is harder to inhibit. I was about to give up on Dragon Skin until I tried that one

Hmm I would need the skin to stretch as I pose the lips etc. So the tin is too firm? Or a lower tear strength?

Thank you very much for the dragon skin fix pro recommendation, I hadn’t heard of that. Sounds like what I’ll be trying then!

Thanks again!

stopmo;4394369So the tin is too firm? Or a lower tear strength?![/QUOTE said:
Firmness would depend on the shore hardness, you can find tin silicones down to 10, same as DGSKin 10. And with the same shore hardness, thickness etc..., yes, tin should have less tear strength than platinum. But initially that doesn´t sound like a problem in your case, if you don´t need to stretch it too much.

Firmness would depend on the shore hardness, you can find tin silicones down to 10, same as DGSKin 10. And with the same shore hardness, thickness etc..., yes, tin should have less tear strength than platinum. But initially that doesn´t sound like a problem in your case, if you don´t need to stretch it too much.

Thank you! Mold Max 10T was recommended, which appears to be 10 shore and actually used in animatronic puppets so it sounds perfect!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back