ShapeWays: Luke's scavenged Crusader Pendant chamber

Martin from Graflexsaber.de shapeways metal prints are nice, youll have to sand it/ file it. He does amazing work, his chassis are up there with the best of them

I don't know that author. You can send him a message on Shapeways.

However, I do all my production 3D prints on Shapeways. The quality of a Nylon SLS 3D print, that is the "Strong and Flexible" material is top-notch for most parts. It is nothing like you see with a Makerbot or other FDM 3D printer. The parts are solid, and highly accurate. They do come with a texture similar to a fine sandstone, but it is easily sanded smooth.

Here are some images of parts I have made on Shapeways in "Strong and Flexible" (SLS Nylon)
Holotape 1, Holotape 2

Here is the same above part, right next to a FDM 3D print. Note all the lines in the FDM print:
FDM 3D print

Here are some parts I have made in Polished Brass. (3D printed in wax, then cast traditionally)
Dice in brass

And finally a part in "Polished Metallic Plastic" (SLS Nylon with Aluminum powder added)
Dice in Metallic Plastic

Check out the Shapeways Material pages, they detail the process used for most of the different materials.

Do the peices come ready to paint.... more in particular to receive rub and buff?

I'm thinking of getting the 25 dollar grade white plastic mainly for the ability to work with the parts and to keep prices down, and then I was going to hit it with silver rub and buff and weather from there... good idea/bad idea?

Do the peices come ready to paint.... more in particular to receive rub and buff?

I'm thinking of getting the 25 dollar grade white plastic mainly for the ability to work with the parts and to keep prices down, and then I was going to hit it with silver rub and buff and weather from there... good idea/bad idea?

Your going to have to paint it if you buy the plastic version.

If you go with the metal it’s going to be metal, but have print lines. If you put it in a lathe or drill press chuck, with some sand paper you can get it polished like glass

dmurano, If you order a part from Shapeways in "Strong and Flexible", you are getting a part made from Nylon. Nylon is a great plastic, however it doesn't take paint well without a plastic primer first.

However, the laser sintered nylon does have a porous surface, which means you can dye it. I believe it would also work well with Rub and Buff since that is a wax based material.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back