Your Top 5 all time favourite Sci Fi`s

I still don't know if The Thing is sci-fi. I mean it has a spaceship, and a WIP spaceship. And a chess computer, and, and, fireaxes.

Robocop
Alien
BR2019
The Thing
BTTF

If The Thing is just a horror romp then I guess Moon, The Terminator, or BR2049 gets to step up. Yeah top 5s are extremely tough, grouping is cheating though!

Ed: I try to not post when drunk enough to put Dark Star up top, or I would do that just for a free flogging.

I still don't know if The Thing is sci-fi. I mean it has a spaceship, and a WIP spaceship. And a chess computer, and, and, fireaxes.

Robocop
Alien
BR2019
The Thing
BTTF

If The Thing is just a horror romp then I guess Moon, The Terminator, or BR2049 gets to step up. Yeah top 5s are extremely tough, grouping is cheating though!

Ed: I try to not post when drunk enough to put Dark Star up top, or I would do that just for a free flogging.

Oh the The Thing is most definitely Sc Fi, good choice as is Dark Star, keep forgetting about that classic. No Dark Star, No Alien.

Another top 5...

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. The Thing.
3. Aliens
4, RoboCop
5. Dark Star.

One big omission from any listed so far is Raiders of the Lost Ark, big surprise to me. Even a guy with Indy as his avatar left it out.:lol

Last edited:
Another top 5...

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. The Thing.
3. Aliens
4, RoboCop
5. Dark Star.

One big omission from any listed so far is Raiders of the Lost Ark, big surprise to me. Even a guy with Indy as his avatar left it out.:lol
Is Raiders sci fi?
I never really thought of any of the 3 Indy films as sci fi (I heard rumors there's a 4th film but I don't know about that ; )

Theres four films already but you raise an interesting question. The forth movie sure made it that way if it wasnt before.

I did get the joke but denial leads to the Dark side.;)

Last edited:
The Thing discussion reminded me about which genre takes precedent while making these genre lists.

Ghostbusters is technically a sci-fi film, but since the comedy aspect is more prominent it doesn't make into people's top sci-fi lists (halliwax did include it). It does however get mentioned more into people's top comedy list.

Escape from New York is also sci-fi and one of my favourites, but I somehow don't think of it as sci-fi when I think of top sci-fi movies. Otherwise both EFNY and Robocop are actually part of my other sci-fi favourites.

Another top 5...

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. The Thing.
3. Aliens
4, RoboCop
5. Dark Star.

I thought about it but didnt really consider it as Sci fi.... More Myth and Lengend what with the whole religious aspect.

I guess it has a lot to do with the focus and interest of the story and the viewer. Personally I'd always considered "actual sci-fi" or at least hard sci-fi to be more concerned with the impact and ramifications of technologies on us, rather than there simply being technological liberties taken in a world building sense.

So in the end, at least in my case, sci-fi somewhat oddly became more about human moral and social questions and philosophies than actual scientific fiction or speculation.

I always find it so difficult to narrow my lists down to top 5, or even 10 sometimes.

I still have yet to see a lot of sci-fi movies, including many classics, but here's my list (in no particular order):

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Star Wars OT (namely ESB)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Ex Machina
5. Stranger Things (not a movie, but still considered on my list)

Honorable mentions:
Blade Runner, The Martian, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, E.T, Alien, Wall-E, Interstellar

Favorite (5) Sci-Fi films

Star Wars/ESB/TFA/TLG/R1
Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049
Mad Max/Road Warrior/Fury Road
Alien
Serenity/Firefly

Guardians of the Galaxy/GotG 2
Close Encounters
The Thing
Wrath of Khan
The Terminator/T2
Robocop

Favorite (5) Hard Sci-Fi films

Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049
2001: A Space Odyssey
Fahrenheit 451
THX 1138 - original and special edition
Close Encounters

A Clockwork Orange
The Abyss
Moon (2009)
Rollerball (1974)
Ex Machina
Wall-E
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Dark Star
Total Recall (1990)
Metropolis (1927)
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Westworld
The Illustrated Man
Lathe of Heaven
Colossus: Forbin Project
A Boy and his Dog
District 9
Sunshine
Cube

Last edited:
Difficult but if i was being held at gunpoint and i’d really had to choose..:

1)Mad Max 1
2)Star Wars ANH
3)Blade Runner
4)Alien
5)BTTF

Allthough some movies might be interchangeable with others that i like depending on the mood that i’m in.

I pretty much like all of the films listed in other posts.

Difficult but if i was being held at gunpoint and i’d really had to choose..:

1)Mad Max 1
2)Star Wars ANH
3)Blade Runner
4)Alien
5)BTTF

Allthough some movies might be interchangeable with others that i like depending on the mood that i’m in.

I pretty much like all of the films listed in other posts.

Great to see some Rockatansky love. I drive through the spot where Johnny the boy buys it at least twice a week, hasn`t changed much over the years apart from a new bridge.

Limiting to five is impossible. I tried. It can't be done.

Star Wars
Star Trek
StarGate
Firefly
Farscape
Back to the Future
Enemy Mine
Last StarFighter
Terminator

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back