Crack in the foam - ADVICE WANTED

Catzenjaeger

The body of my lifesize Distortions Alien Queen consists of an inner metal frame, above it is a slightly more stable foam layer and above it a very soft soft foam layer. From the outside, a latex layer was applied and sometimes worked with latex tapes. The were stuck on.
The foam has cracks in some places. In other places, only the latex is solved.

On the bottom of the body there is a crack about 30 cm wide and 30 cm deep and a crack of about 20 x 20 cm. Both are perfectly smooth as if someone with a knife did this. How do I best repair this damage? Normally foam is glued with spray glue. However, since the area is very large and deep and must hold high weight .. what would you do?
Please see pictures in the appendix. I have marked the cracks. 1 = the small one at the corner / 2 = the big one just further in the middle of the body

I think these cracks were caused by the transport. The body is simply torn at these sites when days of heavy body. Otherwise the body seems undamaged except for a superficial latex detachment or only very small cracks / damages

Thank you

8.JPG7.JPG6.JPG5.JPG4.JPG3.JPG2.JPG1.JPG

Unfortunately, latex is not a very durable material. Being a natural material, it degrades. Also, a small tear can become larger just by handling.
Upholstery foam can also crumble over decades. I have been told that contact cement would be preferred for gluing soft foam pieces together. Then latex should be best repaired with fresh latex - it should stick to latex very well ... but only if that really is latex. Note that it probably also has paint on top.

That's as much as I know. There are other people on the board who have done some amazing restoration work on latex.

thanx for your answer
Distortion has confirmed that it is latex. I was told by Distortions how to repair the latex. However, I do not know how to fix the foam. I read that it is sprayed with spray glue ... but does that really work? This is partly normal foam (as in car seats or chair cushions) but also very fine soft foam.
it would rip open again on the next transport ... or not?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back