Time Bandits Map of the Universe

Yeah, can't argue that since reference material is spotty. Certainly was when I made mine. But, are you saying you know this because you have seen either the actual screen-used map(s) in person or you have seen superior reference material? That's the elaboration I was referring to.:thumbsup

Yeah, can't argue that since reference material is spotty. Certainly was when I made mine. But, are you saying you know this because you have seen either the actual screen-used map(s) in person or you have seen superior reference material? That's the elaboration I was referring to.:thumbsup
I've only noticed things that I've seen from the DVD from pausing and scrutinizing ever single detail such as the very last clock in the left clock panel on the bottom has not only a smaller or slightely different shape square on the top like what you have in your map but I also saw the circular loop around it such as the part where a chain would go on a pocket watch that everyone has missed. That is just one example.

Last edited:
I'm certain breakfstmachine would appreciate any insights about these details you care to share. For me, the biggest area of guesswork was the clock panels. Now that we hear that some of them are from vintage Sears catalog pages, that's a starting point. If enough new info comes to light, I may be tempted to revisit my map. Maybe. ;)

Based on screen caps, I could see that there are small numbers in the clock panels. But reference was so limited that I chose to skip them.

I should probably get the Blu-Ray if it still comes with the foldout map graphic. I would be interested in seeing how the Harrison map differs from the filming map. But, from online images I've seen, it looks like the clock panels are again cut off?

On the Criterion Blu-ray the panels are indeed cut off

I should probably get the Blu-Ray if it still comes with the foldout map graphic. I would be interested in seeing how the Harrison map differs from the filming map. But, from online images I've seen, it looks like the clock panels are again cut off?

On the Criterion Blu-ray the panels are indeed cut off
Yes they are not present on the fold-out. Also if you notice, the colors are all washed out like faded. This is probably due to the scan as I'm sure the actual Harrison map the colors look fine. Also im sure the clock panels are still present. It seems as though whoever made the fold-out, decided to just sort of frame the map with a beige border. Its too bad.

From past comparisons before the Blu-Ray map, I could tell that the two props did differ in color and details. Makes sense as each was hand made after the silk screen stage.

From past comparisons before the Blu-Ray map, I could tell that the two props did differ in color and details. Makes sense as each was hand made after the silk screen stage.
I was wondering what you thought of this idea. Using the fold-out map from the Criterion DVD not the Harrison map but the first fold out of the weathered screen used map. Take that map, in photoshop or any program where you can realign some of the vertical white lines and anything else that is misaligned, (if you recall, it was scanned in a couple of pieces and is off a bit in some spots).
Then simply by enlarging it, have it printed on a no gloss or semi gloss canvas and we can have almost the real thing minus the clock panels but have it the correct size, on canvas as it looks nowadays days. Your thoughts?

That could be done, but the resolution of that print may not look very nice blown up. Would enhance the dots quite a bit. While that scan does show how the map looked at that time, it's much more beat up then I would want. I heard one story that said Gilliam did not take care of his copy of the map. That, plus it was roughly handled during filming.

That could be done, but the resolution of that print may not look very nice blown up. Would enhance the dots quite a bit. While that scan does show how the map looked at that time, it's much more beat up then I would want. I heard one story that said Gilliam did not take care of his copy of the map. That, plus it was roughly handled during filming.
I know but thats me. My ideal version of that map would be to have an exact copy of what the original prop. I just don't have the know how or the skill to do a job like that and to use a Photoshop program to fix it. I'm just so curious how it would look if it was enlarged. Its just an idea I've had for a long time.

Alignment would not be difficult. As to the clock panels, I don't know. Its' almost like they decided that those should remain a mystery. Or, they decided they were unimportant and cut them off.

Oh hello! I seem to have drifted away from the conversation, lots of life things happening, and I'm so glad the discussion of the Map has continued.

I've found a lot more reference images that were used in the map that I will share shortly... AND thank you jheilman for the link to that interview with Bernard Allum. He confirms something that I've been on the brink of for a few months now- The Clocks! I've actually been purchasing books from the late 70s and early 80s on antique clocks and timepieces, which I'm assuming would have been easily available reference at libraries at the time. So far, it's been very close, but I haven't found anything that "clicks" just yet. I've got some good options and started to lay in some of the engravings, but hearing they were from Sears catalogues gives me another thread to investigate.

He also confirms the other thing that has become abundantly clear with a lot of eye-squinting scrutiny: that there is a lot of astrology hidden in the map.

I'm going to hunt down the books mentioned, and maybe invest in some old Sears catalogs, too. (A quick google search of Sears catalogs of the era shows a lot of photographs, rather than drawings, so it'll be interesting to see how far back we need to dig to find any matches. There are still a few mysteries that are unidentifiable to the eye via screenshot or Blu-Ray or anything, and I'm hoping the reference books have just enough hints to put together the clues we have.

I've made a lot of progress in the last few months, and will put together an update soon. But hoo-boy- there is A LOT of detail in this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently recreating this map as well and things are moving along really smoothly, but I can't figure out what the words in the rings say. Can anyone please let me know what the Latin and other text says. This is the one problem I need to overcome and I will have a beautiful map of the Universe. I can get great images for the most part, it's just the text that is eluding me. Thanks...

I'm currently recreating this map as well and things are moving along really smoothly, but I can't figure out what the words in the rings say. Can anyone please let me know what the Latin and other text says. This is the one problem I need to overcome and I will have a beautiful map of the Universe. I can get great images for the most part, it's just the text that is eluding me. Thanks...
Hey there. I am very interested in your project. I have been obsessed with this map since I was 7 years old. I am 42 now. I also have Heilmans map. Like you I have looked over every detail of this map on screen shots from the DVDs and the fold out inserts in those DVDs. I would love to see your progress and be of help to you. What has your approach been and stuff?

Hey there. I am very interested in your project. I have been obsessed with this map since I was 7 years old. I am 42 now. I also have Heilmans map. Like you I have looked over every detail of this map on screen shots from the DVDs and the fold out inserts in those DVDs. I would love to see your progress and be of help to you. What has your approach been and stuff?

Well, we watched the movie as much as we could tolerate over a couple days. Took screenshots of every scene with map and even researched all of the other remakes of the map and most forum threads talking about Heilman's map. Technically, it will be digitaly oil painted on "canvas material" to resemble the actual movie map that was hand painted by Gilliam himself. We are even imitating the brush strokes that you see in certain images of the map.
View attachment TimebanditsMap_lines_and_dotted_lines.jpg This is a low res picture too.

This is where we are currently with the project. It will eventually have an aged look and feel to it like the original. Any help with the actual text of the map would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back