Live Fire DL-44 ESB Luke/Han Bespin

mptachenko

I finally have some time and energy to get started on a new DL-44 project. I built a live fire ANH DL-44 a little over a year ago and made a thread here to record the process. It went very well and I posted some videos of me blasting stuff when I finished it. l then got a little over zealous and overwhelmed by collecting parts and kits and building a couple blasters on Denix frames for other people. I was going to build a Hoth and ROTJ DL-44 on Denix frames for myself but I decided to clean house and focus on another live fire DL-44. I am going to build the Bespin blaster since it was built on a C96 Mauser and I have always liked that version. I think it’s cool that it seems to have been used by both Luke and Han in the movie. Han had another DL-44 he used in the filming and in promo shots but the “Luke” DL-44 is the one that made it in the film during the classic Han vs. Vader dinner scene. I have an appropriate Broomhandle for the conversion so it is time to get started!
P1000898.JPGarticle-0-19D7327C00000578-910_634x286.jpgstarwarsesblukejacketscreenshot.jpg

article-0-19D7327C00000578-910_634x286.jpg

starwarsesblukejacketscreenshot.jpg

P1000898.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom made flash suppressor with the center undrilled so I can fit it securely to the barrel. Original M19 Sherman tank scope. I got the scope out of the U.K. which I think is rather cool. I'm sure the originals came out of the U.K. for filming in Elstree. I bet there are a lot, if not more scopes in Europe. Often it was cheaper to sell and/or destroy military items rather than transport them from their theater of war back to the States. I wonder if thats how Bapty ended up with many of them and thats how they ended up in the films?

P1010288.JPGP1010286.JPGP1010287.JPGP1000877.JPGP1000884.JPGP1000880.JPGP1010283.JPGP1000874.JPG

Last edited:
There seems to be several different ways the flash hider was mounted. I wonder how many different Mauser versions they made. Then there were also resin versions. One looks like the barrel was just cut off. Another looks like it was just pushed through. These two shots one of Luke and another of Han look like they could be the same blaster by looking at the way the barrel crowns
proxy.php_2.jpegarticle-0-19D7327C00000578-910_634x286_2.jpg

Then there are these...

post-421-1152540912.jpgLukeESB002_2.jpg

I'm trying to decide what would be best to build. What is most screen accurate or maybe go with an idealized version. I could build a "better" one than what was actually in the films. Like what BlastTech would have made in real life by professional "Blastersmiths" rather than a low budget prop company

I started taking the Sherman M19 scope/sight assembly apart. It needed to be gone over and cleaned up some. I am glad I got a nice one with original mount. It was pretty special being the first one in it after 75 years or more. I also love how when the ring is illuminated the reticle lights up. I got a nice close up photo of the reticle all lit up!
P1000877.JPGP1010290.JPGP1010291.JPGP1010292.JPGP1010293.JPGP1010294.JPGP1010295.JPGP1010299.JPGP1010297.JPG

There seems to be several different ways the flash hider was mounted. I wonder how many different Mauser versions they made. Then there were also resin versions. One looks like the barrel was just cut off. Another looks like it was just pushed through. These two shots one of Luke and another of Han look like they could be the same blaster by looking at the way the barrel crowns
View attachment 788335View attachment 788336

Then there are these...

View attachment 788337View attachment 788338

I'm trying to decide what would be best to build. What is most screen accurate or maybe go with an idealized version. I could build a "better" one than what was actually in the films. Like what BlastTech would have made in real life by professional "Blastersmiths" rather than a low budget prop company

You're right, these are all the same blaster. The Luke live fire.

Matt beat me to it, but yes... they only had two live firing props on ESB, and they were very close to identical. There's plenty of tells of course, so in time once you study them they become very apparent.

I built my live fire ESB a few years ago, so feel free to hit me with any questions. It was much easier than the ANH to get reliable.

Last edited:
Matt beat me to it, but yes... they only had two live firing props on ESB, and they were very close to identical. There's plenty of tells of course, so in time once you stay them they become very apparent.

I built my live fire ESB a few years ago, so feel free to hit me with any questions. It was much easier than the ANH to get reliable.

Since you have done this Scott- how did you end up attaching the scope mount so it did not rotate. I was thinking about adding a second post attached to the frame of the gun that goes up into the scope mount but is still hidden by the spacer and threaded knob. That seems strong enough and simple.

I just got my parts last week and plan on adding a smaller diameter threaded rod, off-center from the main bolt, from the pistol thru the spacer and scopemount to keep it from spinning.
The frame of my pistol has been slightly crushed and when the lock frame is inserted the whole thing won't move.
No way I can think of to spread the frame apart to it's proper diameter.
Therefore it can't be a live fire but will be made from a real steel pistol.

I just got my parts last week and plan on adding a smaller diameter threaded rod, off-center from the main bolt, from the pistol thru the spacer and scopemount to keep it from spinning.
The frame of my pistol has been slightly crushed and when the lock frame is inserted the whole thing won't move.
No way I can think of to spread the frame apart to it's proper diameter.
Therefore it can't be a live fire but will be made from a real steel pistol.

Sorry for your luck on the frame. I was think about doing the off center thing too but Scotts idea sound nice too. We will see what I end up with.

I was going to use this scope mount that I got a while back.

P1010008.JPGP1010301.JPGP1010302.JPG

It is better than many but not quite right. The hole is not in the right spot but that would have been easy to move. The bend is also not a perfect 90 angle.
I just ran across Bobadebt's mounts he is selling. Seeing that this is going to be a higher end build I just ordered his.
I might as well try and make this as accurate as I can!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, has any one compared Scotjua's knurled knob to BobaDebt's knurled knob?
Which one is more accurate??

I have both knurled knobs, they are VERY similar. The only difference I can see is in the number of knurls. Scott's seems to have less than BobaDebt's.

I was going to use this scope mount that I got a while back.

View attachment 790343View attachment 790345View attachment 790346

It is better than many but not quite right. The hole is not in the right spot but that would have been easy to move. The bend is also not a perfect 90 angle.
I just ran across Bobadebt's mounts he is selling. Seeing that this is going to be a higher end build I just ordered his.
I might as well try and make this as accurate as I can!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, has any one compared Scotjua's knurled knob to BobaDebt's knurled knob?
Which one is more accurate??

I made the prototype for Bobadebts part and sent it to him, but he may have added more lines of knurling... no clue. I honestly never bothered to count them or compare. I used a standard knurl when making mine. I was more concerned with the shape and dimensions.

The shape and dimensions look good on Bobadebt's....it is hard to tell in this photo because of the weathering on the one painted, but Bobadebt's in on the left and Scott's on the right.

IMG_0330.jpg

I made the prototype for Bobadebts part and sent it to him, but he may have added more lines of knurling... no clue. I honestly never bothered to count them or compare. I used a standard knurl when making mine. I was more concerned with the shape and dimensions.

I also file my knurls a bit so they aren't as sharp. When I look at reference, it seems like the knurls on the original just isn't shat deep and sharp

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back