Is Disney/LFL incapable of making anything new?

If anything, as for moving forward (time wise), they're narrowing focus as opposed to expanding. They bought the whole thing and then made the conscious choice to say screw the OT frankly. We'll kill them all off and give them crappy post ROTJ lives and now we're free and done with them. Seemed no care there whatsoever. No one said they had to feature, but not treated poorly and not killed off purely for the sake of killing them off.

Another aspect is the rumor that RJ's trilogy is going to be set during the OT, but just elsewhere. That's not really expanding things.

Expansion would be going way back - or way forward. Simply doing something else that's not tied to anything that exists really.

I don't begrudge R1 or Solo in the slightest, or the forthcoming Obi Wan film. But expansion isn't going that. R1 a bit, yes. R1 did expand on the OT. And while I don't bregrudge solo or obi, those aren't expanding things. They're not expanding the universe, they're just telling us more about what we already know (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that).

The intent of the comment would seem to be 'it's a whole galaxy'. It's huge, but we've seen a tiny part. Things happened for thousands of years, and we've cover a miniscule amount of it. Expand your horizons. Do things no attached to anything existing whatsoever - hence way before E1 or way after E9 (or 12 or whatever).

I think that's fair, although I haven't heard anything to suggest Rian's working in the OT era and I am inclined to think he's is not. Also, I don't think the GOT guys are going to the OT either. The OT era may continue to harbor Story Films for the time being but there are 6 new potential films that I think will move into very new era's.

This is all becoming a bit conflated. Disney doesn't make any stories for Lucasfilm. They write checks and collect checks but they are not directly involved with the day to day management of Lucasfilm or it's creative process. Disney has expectations for the output of Lucasfilm financially and number of projects but for all intents and purposes leave the film making and story to KK and LF. Bob Iger is brought in to consult for decisions like hiring the GOT but whatever they may be planning isn't something Disney is directly involved in.

Yeah guys, give Disney a break.

The Empire only wrote the cheques and collected them, they were not directly involved in the day to day management of Tyranny and Evil. They had expectations for the level of Tyranny and Evil distributed but for all intents and purposes the creative side of the business was left to Vader and the Moff`s. Palpatine was brought in to consult on the building of the Death Stars but whatever he was planning for them, the Empire wasn`t directly involved in.

I have no affiliation with the Empire at the time of this posting.

Last edited:
The Saga Films should have followed the classic Star Wars model of the Campbellian Hero's Journey and followed it through in a satisfying way to give the OT characters a proper send off and give us a chance for the new characters to win us over with their story.

As far as other content in this universe, I'm doubtful the Game of Thrones guys will be able to resist the urge to turn it into GOT. Besides GOT is overrated.

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to see any Star Wars content where violence and sex are used as shock value in place of story.

That's all GOT is to me. It's shock value for it's own sake.

If Star Wars is going to survive the next 10 years they need to go back to the structure that made it work in the first place. Either Mythology set in space, or use different genres to tell individual stories.

Western in space. (Boba Fett movie/ Han Solo movie)
WW2 in space. (Rogue One)
Samurai movie in Space. (Seven Samurai)
Heist movie in space. (Ocean's Eleven)
Mystery in space. (Sherlock Holmes)
Action Adventure in space. (Indiana Jones)

By using the language of cinema and telling stories similar in nature to the above examples only set in the galaxy far far away, you can have a great number of Star Wars films that will feel at once familiar and new.

For example, there is a shot in Fellowship of the Ring where the Nazgul ride out in search of the ring after it has been given to Frodo. The shot is a near match to the kind you would see in a western where your hero characters are riding out into the desert in search of justice. Subconsciously you recognize it as a western, but it feels new because it takes place in a fantasy world with magic and elves.

The new Star Wars films keep making the same mistake in copying shots/ plot points from Star Wars that they tend to forget that the original films borrowed shot from all kinds of movies in all kinds of genres. Why not just take that concept and magnify it to use different genres to tell new Star Wars stories rather than rehashing everything all the time.

I got to speak with Brian Herring (Puppeteer of BB-8 and numerous other creations used in the current Disney SW era) for at least 10 minutes at his signing table at ECCC this past weekend (I visited him first in the morning of the slowest con day, so bonus!) and we got to talking about Solo and he said that there will be a lot of amazing things in there and had an immensely good time doing that film in particular. Apparently there's an amazing amount of great stuff Kasdan has written in there and is particularly fond of the Han Solo character. Herring went on to say that he thinks the audience will be surprised.

In terms of the actor, he did say that Alden plays Han Solo, but not Harrison Ford, and that he did do a great job. Herring seems like he is very passionate about the things he does and his excitement for it has me more hopeful for what's coming.

I got to speak with Brian Herring (Puppeteer of BB-8 and numerous other creations used in the current Disney SW era) for at least 10 minutes at his signing table at ECCC this past weekend (I visited him first in the morning of the slowest con day, so bonus!) and we got to talking about Solo and he said that there will be a lot of amazing things in there and had an immensely good time doing that film in particular. Apparently there's an amazing amount of great stuff Kasdan has written in there and is particularly fond of the Han Solo character. Herring went on to say that he thinks the audience will be surprised.

In terms of the actor, he did say that Alden plays Han Solo, but not Harrison Ford, and that he did do a great job. Herring seems like he is very passionate about the things he does and his excitement for it has me more hopeful for what's coming.

If you're not playing Harrison Ford, you're not playing Han Solo.

The Wook

The Saga Films should have followed the classic Star Wars model of the Campbellian Hero's Journey and followed it through in a satisfying way to give the OT characters a proper send off and give us a chance for the new characters to win us over with their story.

As far as other content in this universe, I'm doubtful the Game of Thrones guys will be able to resist the urge to turn it into GOT. Besides GOT is overrated.

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to see any Star Wars content where violence and sex are used as shock value in place of story.

That's all GOT is to me. It's shock value for it's own sake.

If Star Wars is going to survive the next 10 years they need to go back to the structure that made it work in the first place. Either Mythology set in space, or use different genres to tell individual stories.

Western in space. (Boba Fett movie/ Han Solo movie)
WW2 in space. (Rogue One)
Samurai movie in Space. (Seven Samurai)
Heist movie in space. (Ocean's Eleven)
Mystery in space. (Sherlock Holmes)
Action Adventure in space. (Indiana Jones)

By using the language of cinema and telling stories similar in nature to the above examples only set in the galaxy far far away, you can have a great number of Star Wars films that will feel at once familiar and new.

For example, there is a shot in Fellowship of the Ring where the Nazgul ride out in search of the ring after it has been given to Frodo. The shot is a near match to the kind you would see in a western where your hero characters are riding out into the desert in search of justice. Subconsciously you recognize it as a western, but it feels new because it takes place in a fantasy world with magic and elves.

The new Star Wars films keep making the same mistake in copying shots/ plot points from Star Wars that they tend to forget that the original films borrowed shot from all kinds of movies in all kinds of genres. Why not just take that concept and magnify it to use different genres to tell new Star Wars stories rather than rehashing everything all the time.
Fully agree. If I were in charge I'd give Tarantino a stack of money to do a Mace Windu/Boba Fett revenge flick, but instead we're going to get Jar Jar: A Star Wars Story.

This extremely weak 'argument' is regurgitated far too often in these threads, and throughout the plagues of moronic anti-disney fan-sites, youtube channels etc
Enough with the incessant, uneducated and baseless squawking - Go and read (or listen to the audio book) the Secret History Of Star Wars...
Its an admittedly exhaustive look into the process of Lucas writing the original trilogy, BUT essential in exploring all the undeniable evidence that Lucas NEVER had a complete vision of the movies prior to making them...also revealing details of the contradictions in production interviews and the various drafts of each movie. Furthermore, he's beyond dishonest about all of this....

Go ahead...Ill wait

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not playing Harrison Ford, you're not playing Han Solo.

The Wook

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn

This extremely weak 'argument' is regurgitated far too often in these threads, and throughout the plagues of moronic anti-disney fan-sites, youtube channels etc
Enough with the incessant, uneducated and baseless squawking - Go and read (or listen to the audio book) the Secret History Of Star Wars...
Its an admittedly exhaustive look into the process of Lucas writing the original trilogy, BUT essential in exploring all the undeniable evidence that Lucas NEVER had a complete vision of the movies prior to making them...also revealing details of the contradictions in production interviews and the various drafts of each movie. Furthermore, he's beyond dishonest about all of this....

Go ahead...Ill wait

I think you have mistaken this thread for the "I have got some serious issues with George Lucas" thread. I`m not sure there is one but your more than welcome to start one up.

Dont need to read or listen to some book to be educated on the OT or the PT as I was at opening day of each film of the OT and most of the PT as well. The pure joy of the OT was education enough. If you would like to point out just where Disney have produced new, enjoyable content rather than just rehashing whats come before and in some case`s, degrading it, I`d love to read it.

I think you have mistaken this thread for the "I have got some serious issues with George Lucas" thread. I`m not sure there is one but your more than welcome to start one up.

Dont need to read or listen to some book to be educated on the OT or the PT as I was at opening day of each film of the OT and most of the PT as well. The pure joy of the OT was education enough. If you would like to point out just where Disney have produced new, enjoyable content rather than just rehashing whats come before and in some case`s, degrading it, I`d love to read it.

Interesting - because I disagree with some of the claims made and point out legitimate facts against them - I have a ‘serious issue’ with Lucas?
Seems like you're a little confused- it’s cool, it happens. I’ll explain again...
My issue is with the incessant, uneducated and baseless squawking in this post. Hopefully thats all cleared up!

No, you don’t have to read a book Mr Webber - absolutely true. Clearly, you feel that you being at all the film releases (and the pure joy of being there) is magically enough for you to ignore documented, pertinent and sound facts that discredit much of the fluff in this thread. Of course you’re welcome to stay on your Disney- bashing bandwagon, but it doesn’t make said facts any less legitimate

To some extent, I do think Disney is creating new and enjoyable content - in context. But that is subjective topic, not as black and white as you clearly believe it to be. Your mind is made up - Im not going to try change it. I dont need or want to do so

Since when does content being new automatially make it enjoyable? At one point the prequels were new- barely anything enjoyable in there.It could be easily argued that these films degraded almost everything in the OT...Ill just start and finish with Midichlorians (Plenty more where that came from)
Oh but arnt Disney just the worst?!?!

Last edited:
Hmmm, I assumed, based on @Mr Webber and @gedmac66, that all Aussies had high SWIQs. I guess not.

You're bringing their average down, there, fella.

Maybe you're just tired....what with the yawning and all.

The Wook

Oh definitely bud, tired of the nonsense I keep hearing.

Awwww thats so cute though - attacking my 'SWIQ'. Gatekeep much?

I assumed people here might have valid arguments, I guess not. Just lots of dancing around facts. Oh, and the usual, snore-enducing trolling...Im outta here

- - - Updated - - -

To quote your good self, Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Really? Thats your response? Whoa, really put me in a corner there!

Speaking of such - enjoy this dark, depressing corner of the internet to sulk about the big-bad disney monster coming to ruin your childhood.
You clearly want to swing dicks, so Ill tell you Ive been a fan for 30 years myself. I just prefer to be optimistic and look forward to what disney bring to the table. Thats what I’ll be busy doing, never to return to this post...while you’re here, crying and sulking...

All this complaing about new, entertaining content and you recycle my quote? Thats my cue to leave...

Really? Thats your response? Whoa, really put me in a corner there!

Speaking of such - enjoy this dark, depressing corner of the internet to sulk about the big-bad disney monster coming to ruin your childhood.
You clearly want to swing dicks, so Ill tell you Ive been a fan for 30 years myself. I just prefer to be optimistic and look forward to what disney bring to the table. Thats what I’ll be busy doing, never to return to this post...while you’re here, crying and sulking...

All this complaing about new, entertaining content and you recycle my quote? Thats my cue to leave...

It appears the only one crying and sulking in this thread is you.

If you think for one second I`d be interested in getting into a conversation with someone who comes into a thread in the manner you have, you are so very sadly mistaken. Dont let the door hit you on the backside on the way out and thanks for the thread bump.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back