Is Disney/LFL incapable of making anything new?

Dont worry Bryan, I got your back,,

Its gonna cost you though, cause Im drunk and joking.

Your my hot vinegar in my gumbo. Not enough, you cant taste it. Too much... and its ruined. But just the right amount, ahhhh heaven.

Now, back to why Disney/SW cant make anything new....

I think they can and did, make something new with Star Wars, its just not that good, or as good. This "new" trilogy, is just off the SW map.

Its like Hawaii and Alaska... Still part of the US and we love them dearly....... but wayyyyy out there...

Nah, Syfy.com just said we're all alt-right white supremacists if we don't like TLJ, not fanboys...

Do you have a link to the article that says that? And to be honest, there was definitely some of that sentiment expressed here both for TFA and TLJ. Sure it was just 2 or 3 people, but they are out there. I could post links to actual tweets where people expressed this opinion, but its probably against the rules here.

Jezz JoeG, you posted in the Premium Members thread that I only created these new threads to antagonise Bryan and continue my rage at Disney, yet here you are happily posting away. Wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Jezz @JoeG, you posted in the Premium Members thread that I only created these new threads to antagonise Bryan and continue my rage at Disney, yet here you are happily posting away. Wow

I didnt say you did it to antagonize Bryan. I said you did it because you were obsessed with proving that Disney\LFL was somehow going under as a company because you didn't like TLJ. Last time I checked, whatever my personal feelings toward your motive as to creating thread after thread on virtually the same subject, I'm free to post where ever I like as long as I'm not violating any board rules, which I'm not. If you have a problem with me or what I post, you're free to report me. Seems like I'm the latest in a number of people you seem to have a problem with lately however. That might or might not be relevant.

I only report people for being insulting and getting personal, I dont think double standards is a reportable offence so we are good.

tenor.gif

Well, it did manage to anger fanboys who can't let go of the past.

Wait.. what???

I hope your kidding, because this Star Wars trilogy is a CONTINUATION, of the Star Wars story.. right?? That's why its labeled EP VII and EP VIII. And not EP 1...

Show me one "continuation movie" that didnt follow the past.

IMO ...This is not a continuation. This a series on its own! And I think thats why some of us have problems with it.

Also ironic, in that Star Wars was created to evoke nostalgia, and feel like it had always been there. In the spirit of the thread, it is impressive that they were able to lift scenes and lines from V and VI, without evoking any feeling of nostalgia (or feeling in general) whatsoever.

Various criticisms can and have been leveled at TLJ but being derivative certainly hasn't been a very prominent one. The film is unique onto the franchise and other films like this (2nd act of a 3 part trilogy). Rogue One used some familiar characters and McGuffin but the "build a team to go on a suicide mission", although done in other films, was entirely unique to Star Wars, especially killing off the main characters. That was a bold choice. So I don't see the question "Can Disney make anything new" having a lot of objective validity.

the entire scene where a soldier has to wipe his hand against the ground, lick it and state "it's salt", so you don't mistake this battle for the one in the first 30 minutes of ESB, isn't derivative? To me, scenes like that are the entire reason why i find TLJ to be a poor hack job with little to no original ideas.

Just a pathetic political hit-piece designed to elicit outrage from people who can't think for themselves and won't check the author's facts/interpretations.

First 1/3rd boils down to.....

"If you give a good criticism of TLJ, it is instantly invalidated if you said something else that I don't like or if I just don't like you at all." -Author

And then they just ramble on and rehash virtually every example they perceive as misogyny from the last year or so of entertainment from GB 17, to WW, to STD. Takes up roughly 2/3rds of the article. I'm surprised they found room to talk about TLJ at all.....:rolleyes

P.S.
Why isn't he calling STD show-runners racist, misogynists, or at least hypocrites, for killing off the two people with Asian ancestry but they consult GLAAD if they want to kill one gay character? Oh, and both of those characters happen to be women.

Discussed here....
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=249677&page=80&p=4388610&viewfull=1#post4388610

Last edited:
The First Order reigns. This is the first sentence in the entire movie.
Then Rey amends that by telling Luke Skywalker that they've taken control of most of the systems outside the inner rim, meaning they have yet to take any of the major systems that are financially and strategically important, i.e. Coruscant, Onderon, Corellia, Kuat, really any of the big ship building and political planets. Furthermore, the First Order commits a considerable amount of might in their campaign against the Resistance. A dreadnought, several Star Destroyers, AND the First Order's flagship. It's a sizeable amount of war machine that could devastate the First Order if lost.

What's the imminent danger, 3 crippled ships on the run? Can they not let 2 star destroyers go ahead after the medical frigate ran out of fuel to cut the whole travesty short? Watch The Hunt for the Red October and see how a chase movie is done well.
That's the exact thinking that destroyed the Empire. What imminent danger does one snub fighter have against a battle station? What imminent danger does a few fighters present to a massive dreadnought like the Executor?

I probably missed that where this was explicitly stated..?
It doesn't need to be. Just watch the movie.
AWXBvoP.jpg
You'll notice the smaller Star Destroyers never venture far from the Executor. Not even when they're chasing the Falcon are they too far from the larger dreadnought. The only time they break away is when Vader orders it so the Executor may go to Bespin and cut ahead of Han and his crew and set a trap for Luke.

They were pretty effective against the escape pods. I know, I know, shields, but the Falcon was losing its shields too after so many hits. Plus the TIEs seemed to damage the cruiser pretty well with tiny lasers instead of turbolasers so again, let 1 or 2 destroyers go ahead, release the TIEs and byebye?
They did that, but then the First Order called the TIE's back. They state why in the movie, but I can't remember the reason they give.

The biggest one off the top of my head is why is it that whenever there's a planetary blockage, the ships always seem to surround one focal point (usually the capitol, or other location of importance to our Heroes) instead of surrounding the ENTIRE planet. The Empire does this at Hoth in the OT, both sides do it countless times in TCW and Rebels, the Trade Federation does it in TPM, and the Confederacy does it over Coruscant in RotS. We live in a 3D world, Why don't they ever just take off or enter the planet on the opposite side of the planet, away from the Star Destroyers? I think this was even lampooned in Family Guy's Something, Something, Darkside...

So again, the message of the movie is shut up and obey orders blindly. I thought the First Order was the fascist militaristic organization. Here's the thing, you're absolutely right that Holdo didn't need to explain. Vader also didn't need to throw Palps down the shaft. Luke didn't need to go with Obi-wan to Alderaan. When you tell a story you give motivation. Why did she? Why didn't she? "She didn't have to" is simply saying "just because". Example: Obi and Anakin chase an assassin in Clones through hell and high water and when said assassin is shot by Jango Fett they just look and are like ah well, sod it. They didn't need to chase Jango Fett. But the question is why didn't they, coz it would have made sense. I haven't been to the military but I doubt any competent commander would say "just hope for the best" when your soldiers are awaiting your orders. And the janitors were filled in when they were preparing the escape pods, if not fully at least more than Poe and friends who resorted to mutiny. There was absolutely no reason other than she didn't have to.
The Sith aren't a military command structure, nor are the Jedi. The Jedi usually followed their own commands, which was to protect the target... which they usually followed through on. Obi-Wan's mission was the protect Luke. That's why he stayed on that Force-forsaken planet. I think you completely missed the point of the movie. If you tried even a smidgen to pay attention, you might have learned something instead of having to have it explained to you. The movie doesn't have to hold your hand, you know.

I probably missed this one. I remember him having a torch in hand, telling Yoda that he's gonna destroy the books then Yoda shrugs, tells him off and lightnings the cave to which Luke freaks out.
It's called implicit story telling. I know the average American has the attention span of a rodent, but this is just woefully bad. Either you're being accidentally ignorant, or purposely obtuse, and I'm not sure which I dislike more.

Which is underpinned by showing that Rey has the dusty old books.
Page turners they were not. I'm interested in whether she actually reads them, or keeps them just because Luke Skywalker thought them important.

So if nobody saw what happened then what's so inspiring in an old guy turning up, walking out and dying? For all they know he could have been blasted into smithereens for no good reason by the walkers or chopped down by Ren. And again, what was in Luke's head, like what was his plan, how was the entire move designed coz as far as he knew the friends were trapped there and he was gonna die at the end anyway? Like most things in this film the idea I get behind, execution, not so much.
The point was to inspire hope. That if one old Jedi could face down the might of the First Order, maybe they had a chance after all.

That was done already in 1997, so not that much novelty there...:lol
Touche.

Wait.. what???

I hope your kidding, because this Star Wars trilogy is a CONTINUATION, of the Star Wars story.. right?? That's why its labeled EP VII and EP VIII. And not EP 1...

Show me one "continuation movie" that didnt follow the past.

IMO ...This is not a continuation. This a series on its own! And I think thats why some of us have problems with it.
And it doesn't match continuity... how? This movie is FULL of continuity and callbacks in everything from the dialogue to the costumes. Luke refers to the Emperor as Darth Sidious, how is this not keeping with PT continuity? We have a bunch of OT characters, how is this not keeping OT continuity? Heck,Rey's Jedi garb even LOOKS like something right out of the PT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then Rey amends that by telling Luke Skywalker that they've taken control of most of the systems outside the inner rim, meaning they have yet to take any of the major systems that are financially and strategically important, i.e. Coruscant, Onderon, Corellia, Kuat, really any of the big ship building and political planets. Furthermore, the First Order commits a considerable amount of might in their campaign against the Resistance. A dreadnought, several Star Destroyers, AND the First Order's flagship. It's a sizeable amount of war machine that could devastate the First Order if lost.

That's the exact thinking that destroyed the Empire. What imminent danger does one snub fighter have against a battle station? What imminent danger does a few fighters present to a massive dreadnought like the Executor?

It doesn't need to be. Just watch the movie.
View attachment 788398
You'll notice the smaller Star Destroyers never venture far from the Executor. Not even when they're chasing the Falcon are they too far from the larger dreadnought. The only time they break away is when Vader orders it so the Executor may go to Bespin and cut ahead of Han and his crew and set a trap for Luke.

They did that, but then the First Order called the TIE's back. They state why in the movie, but I can't remember the reason they give.

The biggest one off the top of my head is why is it that whenever there's a planetary blockage, the ships always seem to surround one focal point (usually the capitol, or other location of importance to our Heroes) instead of surrounding the ENTIRE planet. The Empire does this at Hoth in the OT, both sides do it countless times in TCW and Rebels, the Trade Federation does it in TPM, and the Confederacy does it over Coruscant in RotS. We live in a 3D world, Why don't they ever just take off or enter the planet on the opposite side of the planet, away from the Star Destroyers? I think this was even lampooned in Family Guy's Something, Something, Darkside...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfDokCf5-Q&t=109s

The Sith aren't a military command structure, nor are the Jedi. The Jedi usually followed their own commands, which was to protect the target... which they usually followed through on. Obi-Wan's mission was the protect Luke. That's why he stayed on that Force-forsaken planet. I think you completely missed the point of the movie. If you tried even a smidgen to pay attention, you might have learned something instead of having to have it explained to you. The movie doesn't have to hold your hand, you know.

It's called implicit story telling. I know the average American has the attention span of a rodent, but this is just woefully bad. Either you're being accidentally ignorant, or purposely obtuse, and I'm not sure which I dislike more.

Page turners they were not. I'm interested in whether she actually reads them, or keeps them just because Luke Skywalker thought them important.

The point was to inspire hope. That if one old Jedi could face down the might of the First Order, maybe they had a chance after all.

Touche.

And it doesn't match continuity... how? This movie is FULL of continuity and callbacks in everything from the dialogue to the costumes. Luke refers to the Emperor as Darth Sidious, how is this not keeping with PT continuity? We have a bunch of OT characters, how is this not keeping OT continuity? Heck,Rey's Jedi garb even LOOKS like something right out of the PT.

You're like a man defending crap-tasting pizza by saying it has cheese, and tomato sauce, which sit atop a crust made from dough--and the dough is made from flour and water, And it's baked in an oven, and is loaded with this topping and that topping, and...and...and...and...

You go on and on and on, but I've tried the pizza you're so zealously defending in such detail, and the bottom line is, it just plain tastes like schit.

I've never fought so hard to persuade people to like something I liked and they didn't like. Come to think of it, I don't put up any fight at all. I smile, say, "You crazy", and move on, perfectly content to like it myself, and not give AF who doesn't and why.

But you Disney apologists, and sycophants, never relent in your mission to persuade others to like what you like. That tells me you don't really like it on artistic merits. No. You know full well it stinks. But you'll never admit it, and you'll crusade to convince others to like it, because the film promotes your agenda.

Good night.

The Wook

You're like a man defending crap-tasting pizza by saying it has cheese, and tomato sauce, which sit atop a crust made from dough--and the dough is made from flour and water, And it's baked in an oven, and is loaded with this topping and that topping, and...and...and...and...

You go on and on and on, but I've tried the pizza you're so zealously defending in such detail, and the bottom line is, it just plain tastes like schit.

I've never fought so hard to persuade people to like something I liked and they didn't like. Come to think of it, I don't put up any fight at all. I smile, say, "You crazy", and move on, perfectly content to like it myself, and not give AF who doesn't and why.

But you Disney apologists, and sycophants, never relent in your mission to persuade others to like what you like. That tells me you don't really like it on artistic merits. No. You know full well it stinks. But you'll never admit it, and you'll crusade to convince others to like it, because the film promotes your agenda.

Good night.

The Wook

.....AMEN

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back