Is Disney/LFL incapable of making anything new?

The prequels were bad but I always accepted them as being star wars. TFA renewed my hope that star wars can continue on. TLJ absolutely broke my heart. For me, it ended December 2017.

Just think of it this way, Lucas created dozens upon dozens upon dozens of timeless characters in all scales from Luke to Salacious and so on over a six movie period, sure Jar Jar was a bust but in the scheme of things so what.

TFA created some new characters that had some good potential.

TLJ produced Rose, Holdo, DJ and some scuffed evil version of BB8 . What an absolute utter shame and disgrace. Make no mistake, history will not look kindly on Ruin Johnsons terrible and selfish contribution to the saga.

Last edited:
George may not have been at the top of his game at the time but the PT were legit stories and for me were far from saga killers. Had he not been so invested in the digital age at that time they would probably be held in much higher regard. The guy is a visionary but sometimes they get clouded vision, as a fan I can live with that.

The saga should have "died" with ROTS but Darth Mouseious did a Mary Shelley to it and now we have this soul less trilogy wreaking havoc among the villagers.

George may not have been at the top of his game at the time but the PT were legit stories and for me were far from saga killers. Had he not been so invested in the digital age at that time they would probably be held in much higher regard. The guy is a visionary but sometimes they get clouded vision, as a fan I can live with that.

The saga should have "died" with ROTS but Darth Mouseious did a Mary Shelley to it and now we have this soul less trilogy wreaking havoc among the villagers.

Not a prequel fan. But not a prequel hater, either. I just don't consider them Star Wars. They're something else. And I will say this...they sure look better now that these latest three abominations have been made.

The Wook

:eek Who would have thought years down the road that ANY thing could make those look better! :eek

Not a prequel fan. But not a prequel hater, either. I just don't consider them Star Wars. They're something else. And I will say this...they sure look better now that these latest three abominations have been made.

The Wook

I confess to being a prequel hater for a long time, but upon seeing clunker after clunker (of all varieties of movies), that left me wanting to feel anything, it struck me just a few years ago that the prequels, for all their flaws, at least always got me thinking and discussing. They were substantive, even if that substance wasn't always perfect in its execution. When I think about TPM, sure there's Jar Jar and midichlorians, but I also conjure up visions of Darth Maul, his Sith Infiltrator (not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it), Droidekas (a masterful piece of engineering, IMO), and the pod racing sequence isn't exactly terrible if you ignore the silliness that weaves its way into those scenes. And holy crap did Liam Neeson come to play. There's a plethora of cool, original stuff in the prequels. You just have to want to see them; and for a long time I didn't want to.

So for me, if you cut 20 minutes or so of fat in terms of the eye-rolling stuff (different for everyone, I realize), and tighten up some of the "who in the hell talks like that" dialogue, you have some excellent movies. So, really, if Lucas' worst crime is being overly ambitious and giving us too much instead of too little, how can I begrudge him that, in the face of what we're seeing in theaters today.

I confess to being a prequel hater for a long time, but upon seeing clunker after clunker (of all varieties of movies), that left me wanting to feel anything, it struck me just a few years ago that the prequels, for all their flaws, at least always got me thinking and discussing. They were substantive, even if that substance wasn't always perfect in its execution. When I think about TPM, sure there's Jar Jar and midichlorians, but I also conjure up visions of Darth Maul, his Sith Infiltrator (not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it), Droidekas (a masterful piece of engineering, IMO), and the pod racing sequence isn't exactly terrible if you ignore the silliness that weaves its way into those scenes. And holy crap did Liam Neeson come to play. There's a plethora of cool, original stuff in the prequels. You just have to want to see them; and for a long time I didn't want to.

So for me, if you cut 20 minutes or so of fat in terms of the eye-rolling stuff (different for everyone, I realize), and tighten up some of the "who in the hell talks like that" dialogue, you have some excellent movies. So, really, if Lucas' worst crime is being overly ambitious and giving us too much instead of too little, how can I begrudge him that, in the face of what we're seeing in theaters today.

I agree, Theres a whole lotta stuff to like about the PT in my opinion. The back story on Sidious is great and McDiarmids performance is absolutely first class. Count Dooku is a very cool villain and the casting of Christopher Lee was a masterstroke. Yoda and The Sideous battle is a classic, Sam Jackson as Mace Windu was perfect and the shot of his strut on the way to take care of business is timeless. Add to that the special effects were way ahead of their time and that they stand up today is a credit to the artisans at Lucasfilm. Neeson was brilliant. Maul was brilliant and the Trade Federation was also a great story line that was explored.

Even though many of the people who share my same beliefs in how bad TLJ was, dont feel the same way I do about the PT, I`m absolutely fine with that and I would never consider their comments about it as troll bait., just differing opinions. Big deal.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back