Are Star Wars toys just not selling?

I think more "grown-up dudes with beards" are buying these toys for nostalgia and perceived collectible value than kids.

I think just the opposite. I'm a "grown up dude with beard", I spent 10s of thousands in SW toys and merch in the late 90s/early 2000s, I was buying action figures by the case.

When TFA came out I was excited, but very reserved with my spending, buying virtual nothing. R1 came out and I picked up a few things for the collection, but we're talking just a few figures. TLJ came out and I have not bought anything.

Am I burned out on the franchise, absolutely not, but I have had zero interest in the toys, there just isn't any hype and when I go to the store they literally just have shelves of the same stuff that has been sitting there for months

Fact: Star Wars toys were the top selling toy product of 2105 and 2106 with $716M in total sales in 2016.
Fact: In 2017 Star Wars as a brand was number 3 behind Nerf and Pokémon.
Suposition: The bankruptcy of Toys R' Us us sent a ripple throughout the US retail toy industry resulting in much lower overall orders for 2017, including Star Wars down 46%. Last Jedi also is lite on new characters and vehicles so limiting the new products Hasbro and other liscence holders can bring to market. With an aggressive release schedule of potentially a film every 18 months if not annually, manufacturers are still learning what the actual addressable market is for Star Wars merchandise and how much Ned's to be produced and brought to market. It will be interesting to see the Solo product and how it lands with buyers.

So this entirely answers your question with real world information and facts. But you knock yourself out with some dumb YouTube video made by some guy in his basement.

- - - Updated - - -

Alot of the recent SW toys are terrible. Asking top dollar for figurines with horrible facesculpts, cheap plastic, poorly done boxart.

In general the sculpts of figures have improved but I agree the Force Band enabled toys don't work great.

Fact: Star Wars toys were the top selling toy product of 2105 and 2106 with $716M in total sales in 2016.
Fact: In 2017 Star Wars as a brand was number 3 behind Nerf and Pokémon.
Suposition: The bankruptcy of Toys R' Us us sent a ripple throughout the US retail toy industry resulting in much lower overall orders for 2017, including Star Wars down 46%. Last Jedi also is lite on new characters and vehicles so limiting the new products Hasbro and other liscence holders can bring to market. With an aggressive release schedule of potentially a film every 18 months if not annually, manufacturers are still learning what the actual addressable market is for Star Wars merchandise and how much Ned's to be produced and brought to market. It will be interesting to see the Solo product and how it lands with buyers.

So this entirely answers your question with real world information and facts. But you knock yourself out with some dumb YouTube video made by some guy in his basement.

- - - Updated - - -

In general the sculpts of figures have improved but I agree the Force Band enabled toys don't work great.

Is this toy market stat also including video games? BF2, did very well in sales.

Of course its open to all but I find the posts from people who dont have a vested interest in the toy sales are far more interesting.

I don't own Hasbro. I'm giving you the facts that seem to be causing cognitive dissonance with your world view. Clearly your not interested in learning, you just want validation.

I can remember the last SW item I purchased. My wookiee popcorn head and some special "drinking" glasses. And I received some cool stuff for Christmas (yes I still get presents..hehe)

But I dont know of anyone who purchased the new stuff. I know its impossible to know, but I dont think that the ST toys are selling too well. I thinks its still the OT toys. Walking through Target, my 8 year old nephew, said .."look, Star wars". He picked out talking Yoda.

I don't own Hasbro. I'm giving you the facts that seem to be causing cognitive dissonance with your world view. Clearly your not interested in learning, you just want validation.

I just want to hear from peoples hearts and not spreadsheets, dont take it personal.

I can remember the last SW item I purchased. My wookiee popcorn head and some special "drinking" glasses. And I received some cool stuff for Christmas (yes I still get presents..hehe)

But I dont know of anyone who purchased the new stuff. I know its impossible to know, but I dont think that the ST toys are selling too well. I thinks its still the OT toys. Walking through Target, my 8 year old nephew, said .."look, Star wars". He picked out talking Yoda.

I literally just told all of you the actual toy sales info and you want to ignore that and just discuss what you see in your local Target. I am never disappointed in how unsophisticated opinions are in this sub forum.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to hear from peoples hearts and not spreadsheets, dont take it personal.

Its not personal. You asked if the toys aren't selling, I provided you the answer. Start another thread asking "In your hearts, are Star Wars toys selling despite whatever the reality is."

I literally just told all of you the actual toy sales info and you want to ignore that and just discuss what you see in your local Target. I am never disappointed in how unsophisticated opinions are in this sub forum.

I think you misunderstood me. Im not debating your facts. I was just curious to find out, what toys were actually selling.

Your giving a good fact on the market. I never doubt your investment skills, honestly.

But thats like giving a total profit or standings on a car dealership, that might handle 3-4 different manufactures. Trying to find out what manufacture is selling the most at that particular dealership. Is the Yoda doll selling more than the Rey doll?. Is the Lightsaber selling more than the blaster? I know Im getting alittle too detailed, but Im just curious.

I think you misunderstood me. Im not debating your facts. I was just curious to find out, what toys were actually selling.

Your giving a good fact on the market. I never doubt your investment skills, honestly.

But thats like giving a total profit or standings on a car dealership, that might handle 3-4 different manufactures. Trying to find out what manufacture is selling the most at that particular dealership. Is the Yoda doll selling more than the Rey doll?. Is the Lightsaber selling more than the blaster? I know Im getting alittle too detailed, but Im just curious.

Fair enough, apologies for being snarky.

The sales numbers are specific to general Star Wars merchandise excluding games. The only two games are Battlefront One and Two and some Lego offering. Not to diminish that, they sell very well. Hasbro doesn't break out the sales in that level of granularity although it's often easy to tease out the action figure segment. Action figures still rule the roost for Hasbro sales.

So let’s steal what should be a factual conversation from @MrWebsters attempt to make it more ethereal, despite your own N=1 experience at Target, what is the current status of Star Wars merchandise and how do they manage it going forward? A lot of money coming down the pike, perhaps look at what Marvel does? I’m not entirely sure.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back