Are Star Wars toys just not selling?

Kind of related, but after TFA came out, the Jedi Council message boards were buzzing for months. Lots of "Who is this? What was that?" questions, fun stuff that you could let your imagination run away with. I remember on the half hour drive home after seeing it for the 3rd time, having the car filled with excited, curious Star Wars talk from my ex-wife and stepkids, who aren't even Star Wars fans. One of my best memories. (Note: She was also my ex-wife at the time, so this isn't a tragic trip down memory lane or anything).

Fast forward to TLJ, and after a week or so of "WTF was that?!?!", and the obligatory, "Oh, you just don't get it" from the apologists, that place is absolute crickets in regards to ST stuff. No fun mysteries that don't have at least a tinge of irritation about them, no new characters of consequence...I mean, it shut that part of the forum DOWN.

So, similarly...yeah, right now, SW just isn't interesting or thought provoking; to me, even. Nothing actually changed between 7 & 9; sure, Luke and Snoke are "dead", but...not really, in the Force world. The resistance is just smaller. And JJ has to brush off/ignore the significance of those little kids, whose appearance could have "disaster" written all over it. Not here to pick a fight, but if you liked TLJ, I'm truly happy for you. Envious, in fact. But, it was junk on way too many levels, it seems there's no skirting that.

But man, do I love the porgs. :love

Now, take what Mattel is doing with Jurassic Park toys since they've gotten the license.
View attachment 788285

Wow! Now THAT is a dinosaur action figure! No screw holes, great sculpt and accurate paint scheme, and... are those unobtrusive electronic features? Shut up and take my money, Mattel!

If Mattel can make satisfying toys... why can't Hasbro?

I completely agree except... Mattel can not make a satisfying 6 inch DC action figure. The DC figures are junk compared to Hasbro Marvel Legends.

I did my duty as a Star Wars consumer, bought a Black Series Han and Chewie.
Doubt I will buy anymore since the removable blade ESB lightsaber is a Disney park exclusive.

Now if we get an airsoft ESB DL-44.....

IMO they just need to make straightforward good toys.

I want a decent looking, durable/playable toy of the character I saw in the movie.
Not my 3rd choice of character.
Not the alternate costume version that the toy company dreamed up.
Not the one with the "super-KICKING-action!" lever on the back.
Not the one frozen in a collector-shelf pose so it cannot be used normally.

I want a decent-looking, durable/playable toy of the vehicle I saw in the movie.
Not the "crash-action" one that pops apart if you try to wave it around in the air.
Not the one that's way underscale and comes with some little one-off rigid posed figures.
Not the one made of plastic so cheap that you have to be careful how you pick it up.
Not the one that is sized right for my figures but has seats for a larger figure that nobody likes.

Toy companies, stop finding ways to *$#%@ this stuff up.

Well, I guess I'll chime into to, I've been collecting since the 80's. About 7 years ago I had to decide whether to let my then 5 year old son play with 1 of my 2 unboxed Millenium Falcons. I did and he's loved Star Wars toys ever since.

Anyway, here's my point: when the line relaunched my son was all in: we got the updated freaking huge falcon, the newer AT-AT. If there was a ship in AOTC or ROTS he got for his birthday or Christmas. My daughter, who is now 7 goes in my now 12 year old son's closet and plays with his star wars toys all the time, has for a few years now. She even mixes some of his 12 inch figures with her Disney princess stuff (because there are castles in star wars too she says). Anyway, I can not get her to play with any of the new stuff, except for a couple of the Forces of Destiny 12 inch figures. She says everything else looks bad and doesn't like it. My son, also only wants the black series stuff now, if it all. Why would he want a toy made like the ones I had from the 80's, they look awful is what he told me.

-OWK

If you ask me, they have over saturated the toys.

The 3.75" line should be the bread and butter of it all. Vehicles, playsets, the works. It's all about playability

But they seem to make all of this other stuff that just sits on shelves because you can't do anything with it.

My youngest son just had to have that walking at-act for Christmas. He played with it for maybe a day and now it sits in the pile of other toys forgotten.

My youngest son just had to have that walking at-act for Christmas. He played with it for maybe a day and now it sits in the pile of other toys forgotten.

I gave that to my son too, it’s was so cheap this year, and he was playing with it last night with our neighbors son.

IMO they just need to make straightforward good toys.

I want a decent looking, durable/playable toy of the character I saw in the movie.
Not my 3rd choice of character.
Not the alternate costume version that the toy company dreamed up.
Not the one with the "super-KICKING-action!" lever on the back.
Not the one frozen in a collector-shelf pose so it cannot be used normally.

I want a decent-looking, durable/playable toy of the vehicle I saw in the movie.
Not the "crash-action" one that pops apart if you try to wave it around in the air.
Not the one that's way underscale and comes with some little one-off rigid posed figures.
Not the one made of plastic so cheap that you have to be careful how you pick it up.
Not the one that is sized right for my figures but has seats for a larger figure that nobody likes.

Toy companies, stop finding ways to *$#%@ this stuff up.

Yes. And if there is one thing I can't stand it's adding some stupid action feature that has nothing to do with play-ability. No one needs nerf rocket firing anything That always bothered me as a kid. re-loading some stupid action feature just got in the way of the actual make-believe.

And we don't need variant suits of spider-man. Spider-man doesn't need a car, and he doesn't need an arctic costume.

I was at Toys R Us over the weekend, and couldn't believe how little space was dedicated to Star Wars. Like, not even one side of HALF of an aisle. And nothing I saw looked remotely fun or interesting.

I was at Toys R Us over the weekend, and couldn't believe how little space was dedicated to Star Wars. Like, not even one side of HALF of an aisle. And nothing I saw looked remotely fun or interesting.

They are making lousy toys. And for crying out loud, stop making three foot tall dolls. Who the hell wants those? My granddaughter pretty much wants what I wanted when I was a kid, a bunch of figures and a ship or base play set. Good luck finding anything like a nice play set nowadays.

They are making lousy toys. And for crying out loud, stop making three foot tall dolls. Who the hell wants those? My granddaughter pretty much wants what I wanted when I was a kid, a bunch of figures and a ship or base play set. Good luck finding anything like a nice play set nowadays.

Exactly. If they want star wars toys to have a nice long run just look at kenner or G.I. Joe in the 80's And limit it to that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back