CastorVulpes

So I've been doing some research into what is avaliable in the way of Mauser C96 replicas to use as a base for a BlasTech DL-44 replica that I am hoping to build. With all my research however, I am unable to find specific information about what inaccuracies lie in a Denix 1896 Broomhandle (other than it being slightly larger, and possibly having casting of poor quality) or a MGC Model 1916 when compared to a real Mauser C96. Ultimately what I am curious about is if I were to pick up one of these model guns, what, if any, modifications could I make to it, to make it more accurate to a real C96, before I use it to build my DL-44.

Any information you can provide about inaccuracies or modifications would be greatly appreciated.

The flip-floppy sight hinge shouldn't have that thick crease, the entire plate with numbers should be flat. The raised ring around the hinge on the sides of the gun shouldn't be there. it's a countersunk hole.

The trigger is thick and shaped weird

on a lot of casts, the Denix shape, especially the magazine area, can get chunky and square-shaped. I've held three at the same time and they were all different.

no detail on the magazine plate, soft cut-outs on the side and the barrel itself is not cylindrical all the time. Try sticking a flash hider on there and you'll find it can be lumpy

the grips are flat and i'll never understand why. the bulb at the base of Mauser grips helps your body balance the forward weight.

that being said, I do love a good denix! easy to drill and tap and they're durable as hell

Like Darth Lars said, theres pretty much no end to what you can do to the denix.

I'd really recommend sanding and reshape EVERYTHING and if you can swing the extra $60, the Dark Energy Creation grips go a long way. They can be blacked or blued. I've done both, and as long as you're patient with the blue - it looks terrific.

I know some people paint them, but i've never had much luck with them looking decent and more importantly, lasting through any handling, with paint.

Reshaping the Hammer is also a really great step to making it look like the real McCoy.

Wow, this is some amazing information. Thankyou so much to everyone for sharing your wisdom!

Would some of these modifications be worth doing to a MGC 1916? I do have to admit, the idea of doing modifications that extensive to a Denix makes me a little bit nervous, given that my skills are lacking. On the flip side, I suppose it would make for good practice!

The MGC replica (if you can at all find one for a decent price...) is the same replica that was used for non-firing DL-44 blasters in ESB.
You might consider not converting it to a ANH DL-44 but instead converting it into a more accurate ESB blaster.

Comparison.png
Here is what I am using as reference.
I believe the pics were taken by a member here names Scottjua I think.
im sorry if I butchered your name.

It all depends on just how far you want to go in chasing the perfect blaster.

You will find that some folk obsess over things that others don't. In addition to the above comments - all of which are excellent - I would suggest that if you go the Denix route, that you take the time to rework nearly all of the chassis in addition to the elements Heyjude7 posted in Scottjua's picture. One of the most tiresome issues with any Denix are the clunky lines, soft edges and appalling tooling and if you rework the surface areas and sharpen up the edges to not only correct the trigger, extractor and the site, you will be amazed as to how good the result can be. I also concur with the opinion that the Dark Energy grips are a must of you are not going to attempt a remodel to cater for real grips.

This as-issued Bapty version it not quite complete but it shows how the Denix can scrub up using only hand tools and elbow grease.

Raats_DL-44_006.jpg

Best of luck, its a great journey to embark upon...

MARK

Last edited by a moderator:
A nicely shaped metal block, better than a Denix but also much more expensive.

And without the ability to toy around with it completely functioning and a disassemble it ....... no valid replacement to a MGC for me.

Additional with such prices .... i would safe my money a little bit more time and then spend it for a real deac (where a real one is needed to be accurate), othervise i see nothing offered that beats the MGCs. Even at their actual prices.

As an Imperial collector I only wanted a single blaster that had the Mauser base: Merr Sonn Power 5. The good thing is that the original was made in resin, so not really a need for me to buy a MGC to chop for this, a Denix did the job perfectly - I have upgraded the blaster a bit since I've taken the pic below:

Merr-_Sonn_Power_5_blaster_31.jpg

I'm in agreement with matty matt. There's also a certain amount of satisfaction that goes into accurizing a Denix for DL-44 use. The metal is soft enough to be pretty forgiving for most mistakes in the process, even for new customizes. A set of files and some google images and you're good to go:cool . I used matty matt 's thread to do accurize my two ESB Denix Mausers and I'll be using for my long awaited RoTJ one now that I'm home to work on it.

There's more than a few different build threads on here to get ideas or guides for how to do everything on a Denix. Just make sure whatever route you go, take plenty of pics to share;).

As an Imperial collector I only wanted a single blaster that had the Mauser base: Merr Sonn Power 5. The good thing is that the original was made in resin, so not really a need for me to buy a MGC to chop for this, a Denix did the job perfectly - I have upgraded the blaster a bit since I've taken the pic below:

https://s20.postimg.org/resqq2wl9/Merr-_Sonn_Power_5_blaster_31.jpg

Nice work on the blaster. And I love that stand...did you make that yourself?

It all depends on just how far you want to go in chasing the perfect blaster.

You will find that some folk obsess over things that others don't. In addition to the above comments - all of which are excellent - I would suggest that if you go the Denix route, that you take the time to rework nearly all of the chassis in addition to the elements @Heyjude7 posted in Scottjua's picture. One of the most tiresome issues with any Denix are the clunky lines, soft edges and appalling tooling and if you rework the surface areas and sharpen up the edges to not only correct the trigger, extractor and the site, you will be amazed as to how good the result can be. I also concur with the opinion that the Dark Energy grips are a must of you are not going to attempt a remodel to cater for real grips.

This as-issued Bapty version it not quite complete but it shows how the Denix can scrub up using only hand tools and elbow grease.

http://www.markraats.com/dropbox/Raats_DL-44_006.jpg

Best of luck, its a great journey to embark upon...

MARK

I love your blaster, almost more than the greeblied version!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back