My Hawkman build

spydrwebz

I finally decided to pull the trigger and get started on this with the hopes of finishing in time for DragonCon.

Big thanks to Kjcprops for the helmet and to Springsteel and her amazing Hawkgirl build for providing the inspiration. Her build is at least a year old and it's stuck with me all this time.

I'm already three-quarters of the way finished with the mace and will be providing plenty of pics as soon as I figure out how to do that here.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the mace.

IMG_20180107_153810.jpg

It's two 10 inch Styrofoam half spheres from Michael's.

I bought a dowel rod from Lowe's ( make sure it's straight) and some 1 inch Styrofoam balls.

I carefully cut those in half with an exacto knife then cut out a tiny bit extra so each would conform to the curvature of the ball.

Then I glued everything up with clear Gorilla Glue.

The goal for this prop is to to keep it as lightweight as possible. I'm not going to light this up like springsteel did.... And I didn't want to add spikes like every other Hawkman mace that I've ever seen.

For this I really wanted to stay with the traditional look of his mace in the comics.

Then I sealed it with several coats of carpenters wood glue.Uncut with water. You can seal styrofoam just like you seal regular craft foam, it just takes a little patience.

I still have to finish wrapping the handle with foam, and I'm going to paint the entire thing black and go over it with metallic silver acrylic paint.

The last thing to do on that will be to wrap the handle with leather.

Last edited:
And here's a pic of the helmet that I'm getting from kjcprops in a couple of weeks.

It's a grade B or grade C casting, so it has a few flaws that need to be cleaned up. But if you're like me and you have more time than you have money this is a good lower cost option.

The helmet will be coming with 3D printed wings as well.

received_729315127274943.jpg

I'm going to be adding a breastplate to this costume for a couple of reasons.

First I like the look of the Smallville Hawkman and I planned on adding elements of that costume to this.

And because it's going to be easier to attach the wings later on.

This is a pic of the breastplate that I'm going to start with. It's going to be heavily modified and it's going to take a lot of dremeling to remove the ornate details.....and the nipples.

No bat nipples on this costume.

download_7.jpg

Hey, all no updates as of yet. Still waiting on the helmet and other supplies I've ordered to come in.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to have a small update on the mace. I hope to finish wrapping it in foam then sealing with the wood glue before applying a black acrylic undercoat....in preparation for the metallic silver paint.

Comments, good bad or indifferent are welcomed.

Do you have that breastplate to hand? The shop I used to work in sold those. If that one is the same as the ones we had, they are vacuformed and there's nothing behind the details - so, if you try to remove them, you'll end up with big holes in it. Just FYI in case you've not already purchased, yo might change direction and save some cash.

Hi, thanks SMP.

I haven't purchased it yet. I've been down with a nasty case of strep throat.Guess it's time to look around a bit more.

If I can't find anything then I guess I will have to try my hand at worbla.

So no updates yet but hopefully really soon.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back