Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Pre-release) Newt Scamander costume

Belladonna

Just thought I would start a thread here for Newt's new costume.

The images we have so far;

cog.jpg

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

fantastic-beasts-2-eddie-law (1).jpg

Fantastic-Beasts-2-Cover.jpg

Fantastic-Beasts-The-Crimes-of-Grindelwald.jpg

fnbst2firstlook3000x1800_r01master_rev_1.0.jpg

Last edited:
I only found 85% SA fabrics and clothes for now (long sleeve polka dot , suspenders and biw tie with a scotish quadrille finish)!

I only found 85% SA fabrics and clothes for now (long sleeve polka dot , suspenders and biw tie with a scotish quadrille finish)!

You were able to find the SA fabrics for the polka dot shirt, bow-tie and suspenders? Please share! I have contacted Misan and Georg but with no luck, they aren't doing the distributing for this costume to my knowledge.

Seems like i can't include pictures with my phone! Ill do it on my computer tomorrow night!
I found suspenders that actuslly have the good pattern but they have 1 extra black lines on the side (can be cut and sewed up) but ill keep searching for good ones.
For the bow-tie i found a goos kind of irish/scotish paterned fabric that kinda look the same but its so Dark on tbe picture that i cant tell yet if its accurate or not :'(....
And finally for the shirt fabric i found a fabric the other day in Fabricville that was reaaaaly close...but by the time i went back it was gone and the workers werent able to tell me the name or code of tbe fabric. The sad truth is either you ll have to make your own fabric patern with a good old white fabric or use the shirt i found with polka dots a give him some weathering to make the dots less "popping"!
Ill show you the pictures tomorrow. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

GOD I love his boots. They are a version of WW2 "Tanker Boots" and they are on my bucket list for sure due to their uniqueness and the fact they'd make everyone else's "everyday" bad weather boots look less cool when I'm wearing them around friends.

-Ash

Seems like i can't include pictures with my phone! Ill do it on my computer tomorrow night!
I found suspenders that actuslly have the good pattern but they have 1 extra black lines on the side (can be cut and sewed up) but ill keep searching for good ones.
For the bow-tie i found a goos kind of irish/scotish paterned fabric that kinda look the same but its so Dark on tbe picture that i cant tell yet if its accurate or not :'(....
And finally for the shirt fabric i found a fabric the other day in Fabricville that was reaaaaly close...but by the time i went back it was gone and the workers werent able to tell me the name or code of tbe fabric. The sad truth is either you ll have to make your own fabric patern with a good old white fabric or use the shirt i found with polka dots a give him some weathering to make the dots less "popping"!
Ill show you the pictures tomorrow. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

Okay, still on the hunt for the SA fabrics and materials though, I received some samples from Misan, the retailer that supplied some of the fabrics for the first film but it might be a bust. I don't think they used them this second time around.

@Ash @Axlotl Yes! The WWII Double buckle boots are beautiful, he wore a similar pair in the first film but they were a tad lighter, I was lucky enough to snag a decently priced vintage pair off eBay for my first costume a while back, they look to be a little darker though in the new film so I may need to get a second pair.. .fml lol

Belladonna You'd be surprised what a good coating of brown "Kiwi Shoe Polish" can do in terms of darkening the leather of shoes and boots. I'd give that a shot before shelling out the money for a new pair.

-Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
Ash Actually I already dyed my boots with leather dye to get them the correct color for the first film. I would like to keep them as a part of the first costume and get separate boots for the second costume.

@Ash Actually I already dyed my boots with leather dye to get them the correct color for the first film. I would like to keep them as a part of the first costume and get separate boots for the second costume.

I’m getting some made by a cobbler named Alex in CA. Must have sent him a hundred messages/pics and he’s been super patient and professional. It’s a bit more expensive than pre-cut boots, but way cheaper than a usual bespoke boot. I’ll send pics of course when they’re done, but I thought I’d post some of the work which convinced me he had the chops for a job like newt. Seems like adding a few of these elements together would get you the right look...

. 8BBB229B-3DB3-4928-9095-729E14CEA579.png 9C1B2265-4D42-4121-ADA2-2395F609D115.png

Attachments

• 168EB8FC-9B7B-48BA-89E8-3B926AB3B15C.png
    168EB8FC-9B7B-48BA-89E8-3B926AB3B15C.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 503
Found the suspenders. These are so close I'm wondering if they bought them from Darcy clothing. They even have the small break in the middle of the red stripe! If you zoom in the first pic in the thread, you can see it. Your welcome=)

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/braces/leather-end-narrow-1-wide-button-on-braces-br734.html

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.31.30 PM.png

And I know this shirt has more blue tones than the one in the picture but this shirt seemed pretty good. It has the faint vertical lines and speckles. I can't get it from their online shop as I'm in Australia, but perhaps everyone else may have more luck.

https://www.hugoboss.com/us/speckle...hirt-slim-fit-cattitude/hbna50372918_101.html

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.47.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.48.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Boots are done! I’m happy with the colour. Maybe a touch darker than the first film shows them, but all the new movie pics so far seem to show darker boots. Bits at the back are exaggerated by the fact that they’re not on, but I also have large calf muscles so oh well. The brass buckle hardware is also slightly wrong, but I might replace them if I find better ones. The artisan maker is a guy named Alex from Southern California.

233EB1CF-211A-43EB-BE6B-CA47C8FF9C5D.jpegC0D3B6CC-3FEA-446A-9EA9-C64C0007CF07.jpeg08DE43BA-1AA0-413E-B126-83C2800840B1.png

Wanted these for a long time!:)

Attachments

• 085F969D-3CC8-4E2F-A06B-35BC3447800F.png
    085F969D-3CC8-4E2F-A06B-35BC3447800F.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 503
Found the suspenders. These are so close I'm wondering if they bought them from Darcy clothing. They even have the small break in the middle of the red stripe! If you zoom in the first pic in the thread, you can see it. Your welcome=)

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/braces/leather-end-narrow-1-wide-button-on-braces-br734.html

View attachment 791538

And I know this shirt has more blue tones than the one in the picture but this shirt seemed pretty good. It has the faint vertical lines and speckles. I can't get it from their online shop as I'm in Australia, but perhaps everyone else may have more luck.

https://www.hugoboss.com/us/speckle...hirt-slim-fit-cattitude/hbna50372918_101.html

View attachment 791539View attachment 791540

Well spotted @MagicInc ! I ordered a pair of the suspenders, they look to be exact! I was searching everywhere for these. I kinda hoped Darcy would have the bowtie as well, but no luck.

I found fabric for the dress shirt that is not exact but a good alternative from macculloch-wallis; https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/21679/printed-cottons-rayons/mw/printed-lawn
l_4613-21679.JPG
I'm currently waiting on a sample swatch to arrive.

Also, your boots look really good! Congrats on getting them completed!

Last edited:
I do have an interest thread for the boots in the classifieds, if there's enough interest I'd get a sample pair made (I did in the past, they weren't good enough, I have a new supplier who would probably get it right). I have some reference pics (sorry, can't share :() of them that will help to ensure they're right, although there's enough out there that anyone could find all the details.

I can also answer most questions about the boots if anyone is confused on any details! I did a lot of research on them after the last movie.

They look like USGI WWII Double-buckle boots, but shiny-side out, instead of rough-out.
I've never seen Double-buckle boots that weren't rough-out, but it's a good starting point:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/reproduction-us-wwii-combat-boots?a=235053

edit: Found these:

http://www.royalvintageshoes.com/rosie-1940s-boots-royal-vintage

Dont know if your still looking, but these are at least a decent example of 'shiney' side out M43 boots...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-US...819260?hash=item33e3d6867c:g:wbcAAOSwGstamyl5

Boots finally came. I’m pleased as punch. I think the hardest part is getting the colour tones right, but I think my cobbler did a great job... I think the second rendition of Newt’s boots are darker anyway as well as some other slight changes (COG production pics show a different style in the side from heel to laces - more like the boots the Australian army issued during the Korean War as opposed to the WW2 style of the first film Boots. They differ also in the cap toe styling). I guess we’ll find out more as more photos come, but I’m satisfied with my mix of the two boot types:)

9A308668-7B3F-468D-B315-90B6DB265BCA.jpegA4CAF594-1B51-47D1-B66F-A81F1ECA4F30.jpeg0E58F3D1-FC00-464A-A95E-733A1B5D2EF7.jpeg0F09B0CB-BFA3-4662-B885-AF41AF42B5C7.jpeg

Has anyone done work on the new coat? I saw some pictures showing two buttons on each cuff, and no leather edge on this one, not to mention the darker coloring

I've found the SA waistcoat fabric but it appears to be sold out. Still in contact with the mill trying to work something out. MagicInc I'm super interested in those boots, I'd love to connect with your SoCal cobbler.

MacCulloch & Wallis has the best alt fabric for the shirt but it lacks the distinctive ribbing. Good spot match though.

The mill that provided the waistcoat fabric has an alt for the overcoating fabric that looks good but it's a linen/wool and would probably be too light and lack the necessary drape. Still not sure what to do here.

All the pieces seem to be cut from the same pattern blocks, except for the overcoat which has been slightly tweaked. So if you've made a Movie 1 outfit, your old patterns should work just fine

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back