Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - 10 years later

kalkamel

Master Member
Yes, folks. Its been 10 years since the release of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull... how time flies. I remember the anticipation I felt as I sat down in the theater waiting for the movie to start. And I also remember the dread I felt as I watched the movie, and the animosity I felt towards it as I walked out after it ended. The ineffective Russians, the nuke-the-fridge scene, the aliens or beings from another dimension as they're referred to in the movie, and of course... Mutt... it all just made into very bad movie. And it made me wonder then as I still do now, do we really need an Indy 5?

Share your thoughts.

Worse than Raiders & Crusade. Better than Temple of Doom.

The alien thing failed to bother me. "Aliens created humans" is another religion. The previous movies centered on various religions. The other movies are drenched in supernatural things (and unrealistic survivals by Indy).

Mutt? I won't excuse that.

I think we should be fair though, trying to make a 4th Indy movie in 2008 without disappointing the public was a doomed effort. Harrison Ford's age forcing the timeline change and toning down his ass-kicking a bit, no more Nazis, Henry Sr and Marcus being gone, the ever-increasing pressures of trying to top all the previous movies at once AND feel fresh, the fact that #3 had wrapped the series up so beautifully . . .

KOTCS could have been better. But I don't think it could have ever been good enough.

I think we should be fair though, trying to make a 4th Indy movie in 2008 without disappointing the public was a doomed effort. Harrison Ford's age forcing the timeline change and toning down his ass-kicking a bit, no more Nazis, Henry Sr and Marcus being gone, the ever-increasing pressures of trying to top all the previous movies at once AND feel fresh, the fact that #3 had wrapped the series up so beautifully . . .

KOTCS could have been better. But I don't think it could have ever been good enough.
Nah, it could have been a better film. The aliens thing wasn't enough to make the film feel like an adventure. Besides things like, vine swinging with pompadoured monkeys!:facepalm

I've made peace with it over the years. Yeah, there's a lot of silly crap, but there's a lot of fun stuff, too. Good performances throughout, great having Marian back, fun stunts. I look at it this way: Raiders was a pastiche of the old 1930s-40s cliffhanger movie serials and this was a pastiche of the 50s drive-in sci-fi fliks with aliens, killer bugs, switchblade greasers, hot-rods, Russky spies, etc., etc.

Frankly, I think ToD isa total piece of crap and Last Crusade isn't much better. Each had fun parts, but there's a lot of real garbage, too, so Crystal Skull was par for the course. Eye of the beholder.

Design-wise the movie was top-notch. It spawned one of the finest action figures Hasbro has produced: The crystal skeleton alien on a golden throne in 1/18th scale, and a big crystal skull replica.

It even had them riding off into the sunset.

Too bad Stephen and Harrison sold out and did that travesty although I give them credit for holding out as long as they did

What is this "crystal skull" you speak of?
The last Indiana Jones movie was Last Crusade.

10 years! I hate the passage of time. Picard was wrong; time is not a friend.

Crystal Skull made me appreciate even more the video games Fate of Atlantis and The Emperor's Tomb.
They were better sequels than CS.

Yes, folks. Its been 10 years since the release of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull... how time flies. I remember the anticipation I felt as I sat down in the theater waiting for the movie to start. And I also remember the dread I felt as I watched the movie, and the animosity I felt towards it as I walked out after it ended. The ineffective Russians, the nuke-the-fridge scene, the aliens or beings from another dimension as they're referred to in the movie, and of course... Mutt... it all just made into very bad movie. And it made me wonder then as I still do now, do we really need an Indy 5?

Share your thoughts.

I just remember seeing the trailer, seeing Indy again, hearing the music, and being as giddy as one can be with excitement......then I saw it and felt as sad as Paris Hilton opening her SAT scores and as confused a George Bush with a Rubik Cube. Felt the same way with The Phantom Menace and The Last Jedi. If only the movies could have made me as happy as the trailers.

One of the most disappointing movies of my lifetime. I tried to go back and re-watch it a couple times, but it's so bad I couldn't even get all the way through it. As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't even be acknowledged as being in the same saga as movies like Raiders and The Last Crusade.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back