Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - 10 years later

Meh. The new-age ancient aliens thing has more in common with a religion than not.

The other big world religions that the franchise has not done a movie around yet are Buddhism and Islam. They may have stayed away from those for political/commercial reasons.

They are different universes but I don't think the Iron Man movies (independent of the rest of the Marvel comic world) are any farther from reality than Indy. That scene in Iron Man#1 happened in a context where it was pretty stupid-impossible, just like Indy's fridge. We excused it more readily when Tony Stark did it because we liked the movie better on the whole.

Doesn't matter. It's still aliens with technology vs actual divine magic.

Doesn't have to be a major religion. Also, plenty of artifacts related to the bible.

Of course they are equally far from reality because both are fictional movies. But Superheroes and Serial-type adventurers are simply different genres with different rules. And when you get down to it, at least for me, it's simply more believable that Tony Stark built a protective suit with padding and it actually, you know...protected him.

@Treadwell
Technically interdimensional beings would be alien.

Yeah, I know. GL thought it negated the aversion to an alien story. Although it didn't really convince him, it was the final thing to get Spielberg to give up trying to change George's mind.

To add to this "fridge vs Iron Man" debate, bottom line the fridge escape just isn't as cool as a flying suit of armor. Beyond that audiences know what a fridge looks and feels like, can imagine how a door seal wouldn't stay closed, and has a baked in understanding that physically that just shouldn't work. They have no real frame of reference when it comes to what flying in an armored suit would feel like, and the physics behind it (like how Tony should be liquefied basically every time he flies in it) don't come to mind.

I always reimagine the nuke town scene with Indy fumbling around the house looking for an escape and then tripping over a rug which hides a door to a fallout shelter/bunker which he quickly hides in. Few seconds of noise and darkness, kicks the lid open and the whole town is gone, with the mushroom cloud on the horizon.

Everything but the Mk I suit can be explained away with "Tony invented something to counteract that". That first one though....no.

The Iron Man cave escape. Watch the tail end of this clip (the fall into the sand) with fresh eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM7E4a8bGlQ

It's basically like dropping Indy's fridge from an airplane and then pretending Indy is fine because it hit a sandy beach.

I suppose it's more plausible than the nuked fridge but only a little bit. We just liked the movie better.

batguy

I've just rewatched Iron Man and I still stand by my opinion that while exaggerated his landing is still believable by "movie logic" even if it would totally have been fatal. The real strain on believability for me is Tony coming out of all that gunfire unscathed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some are treating the fridge as if the only problem is surviving the landing and not the fact that it would've melted, not taken flight.

See lead will protect from certain types of radiation, which is nice, but what it doesn't protect from is giant super hot fireballs, which is another, more immediate feature of a blast zone. When hit by it, lead doesn't fly away like a frightened bird.

The, "take flight in the event of temperatures over 1,000,000 c" feature is a lot less common in refrigerators than most believe.

Some are treating the fridge as if the only problem is surviving the landing and not the fact that it would've melted, not taken flight.

See lead will protect from certain types of radiation, which is nice, but what it doesn't protect from is giant super hot fireballs, which is another, more immediate feature of a blast zone. When hit by it, lead doesn't fly away like a frightened bird.

And rafts do not work like a parachute and mine cars will not ride on two wheels around bends in the tracks or jump sections of track and land back on the tracks at full speed. ( Temple of Doom )

When it comes to Indiana Jones movies, we just need to take them for what they are and never try to explain how something is possible. :lol

And rafts do not work like a parachute and mine cars will not ride on two wheels around bends in the tracks or jump sections of track and land back on the tracks at full speed. ( Temple of Doom )

When it comes to Indiana Jones movies, we just need to take them for what they are and never try to explain how something is possible. :lol

Some things you have to accept. Also punches don't sound like slapping a leather belt together. Movies always have things you have to suspend disbelief for. But at some point there IS a difference between what action movies normally do and what Looney Tunes normally do. Fridges that take flight are to one side of a category that a car going up on two wheels is on the other side of.

Some things you have to accept. Also punches don't sound like slapping a leather belt together. Movies always have things you have to suspend disbelief for. But at some point there IS a difference between what action movies normally do and what Looney Tunes normally do. Fridges that take flight are to one side of a category that a car going up on two wheels is on the other side of.

Untitled-2.jpg
Yeah, I guess we should just suspend our disbelief for the Temple of Doom. I mean, it is not like they use these gags in cartoons. :p

Untitled-1.jpg

Spielberg said it best "The strength of Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford.
I hope those words are well remembered and Indy is not recast/remade.

"The Return of a Legend" the making of Crystal Skull is really good but it is as though not liking the dinner but liking the pan it was made in.

There were some great Indy moments in KoCS and some fun practical props for the Indy collector.

I really wonder what movie we would have had if not for Independence Day.

All the movies have goofy, unbelievable stuff. The fridge gets zeroed in on because the rest of the movie isn't good enough to make people look past it. The Iron Man thing is basically the same thing, but the rest of the movie is so good it's forgiven. Crystal Skull is just one awful scene after another. Temple of Doom is full of stuff like that, but there's plenty of good to offset it.

I never had a problem with Indy 4. Sure, it wasn't as good as the first or third. I never liked Temple of Doom.
Most people seem to hate the nuke scene. But I liked it. I mean come on, Indiana Jones survived a freakin' NUKE. How crazy is that.

I wouldn't have voted for the nuked fridge scene. But then I wouldn't have voted for the raft fall in 'Temple' either.

The invisible bridge in 'Crusade' bugs me as much as any of them. It's a serious climactic plot point that cannot be skipped past.

I'm fine with the idea of Indy being forced to make a leap of faith that looks utterly impossible. But they should have come up with a more plausible way for it to have fooled him.

For me, this has always been a movie that had an OK first act (the end to the warehouse scene following into the Nuke the Fridge sequence is where it falls apart for me) followed by a good second act before being tied into a nice little knot of stupid in the third act.

The illusion was real but it wasn't plausible that anyone would fall for it.

If the whole scene was darker, and the bridge was a couple yards below Indy, with some fog helping obscure it? Maybe, yeah. But not like they showed it in the movie.

As 'Raiders' was a pastiche of the serials of the 30s and 40s, if they'd called it 'Indiana Jones conquers the Martians' it would have made more sense.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back