Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas?

OK I just got back from Joann's and got some leather-like fabric for the strap that I think will be close enough.
But now I'm trying to figure out how the strap is constructed.
I can see a wide band around the whole bottle made of a dark gray blue leather type material, but there's another piece crisscrossing it and I can't really tell what's going on there.
If you look at the visual dictionary bottle (which is completely different in shape and design, and is also the version Hot Toys went with on their TLJ 6th scale Luke) the wide band is the gray leather and then there's a thinner 1 inch grey webbing strap that's also tied with some brown waxed twine. That image has a better shot of how the strap is constructed but it also appears to be different than the one seen in the movie.
So I can either try to mimic the visual dictionary strap since I can see that one better, or try to copy what is seen on screen but maybe get it more wrong.
Opinions?
visual dictionary
visual dictionary version.jpg

screen used
11.PNG12.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah. Now that I look at it and hold it the way he is in the movie I’m like really sure it’s the same strap as the visual dictionary version. Look how the webbing folds naturally when gripped that way. It matches the screenshot exactly.
6dd1af984abff87f96acc873202dbbbb.jpg

5bc48e37f5c6860a73cf223d3b61373b.jpg

OK This "tutorial" is mostly for @halliwax since he's making a bottle too, but if anyone else is ever interested, here's what I came up with.
3D models of the bottle parts are here
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2843583
Bottle is here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRNUJH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_XuPXAbSYBVQWH
The finished [p]leather band should be 41mm wide. To make mine look a little nicer, I doubled that and folded it over on itself to give it some extra thickness and so that it's leather on both sides (when looking through the glass to the other side, you see [p]leather on the inside as well instead of the fabric lining). For the width of the bottles I have, I cut the band at 12 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches, then ran some glue long the fabric side and folded it over on itself to make a double sided leather band 12 1/2 inches long by 1 5/8 inches (approx 41mm) wide.
Now, you need to make a triangular point on the left end of the band. To get the correct angle, mark a line 40mm from the end, then come in at angles to the center and cut to form a point.
Next, curve the band around (you can use the bottle to ensure a tight fit) and overlap the pointed end over the other end, and glue down with super glue. Don't glue the strap to the bottle, you want to be able to remove it so you can adjust, wash, etc. Just glue the strap to itself to form a loop.

For the strap, start with a piece of gray 1" nylon webbing that is 28 inches long.
Mark a line at 8 inches from the left end, and another line at around 11 3/8 inches from the left end.
IMG_5982.JPG

Run the webbing through the band as shown (note the orientation of the pointed end), and line the end up with the 8 inch mark. Secure with some super glue (you can add a rivet later)
IMG_5983.JPG

Next, fold the right end up and line it up with the 11 3/8 inch mark. Secure with some super glue to hold it tightly in place. You should end up with something like this.
IMG_5984.JPG
Next, crease the double layer of webbing where the strap ends and tie some waxed hemp twine or leather around it with a double knot. Leave a loose end for later.

IMG_5985.JPG

Then wrap the twine messily and randomly around the webbing, crisscrossing a bit. I did about 15 wraps. You want to end up with a wrapping that is approximately 21 mm wide.
IMG_5986.JPG

On the last wrap, I threaded the end of the twine back through the crease (under the wrapping) and back over to duplicate the visual dictionary image. Then I tied that loose end to the original loose end from my first double knot.
IMG_5987.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5989.JPG

And there you go! all finished. Add a rivet (I think it's a rivet) or other fastener to the first loop if you want to be super accurate.
IMG_5990.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Wicked!!! Nice idea with double siding the pleather! I would have never thought of that! Nice little trick!

I seriously believe you nailed this! With what? Only 3 screen shots?! Out standing job buddy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She’s white, funny thing is I ordered the back cap but was delivered white

She’s white, funny thing is I ordered the back cap but was delivered white

I'm just still so surprised at how your bottle's neck is so vertical. Both of mine have a huge flare on them. and then to hear how differently sized they are, there's a LOT of variation with this particular bottle.

Love what you guys have done with this. When I've got a bit more time I'm going to make mine much more like yours, Trent - but I'm going to be a cheapskate and wrap gaffer tape around the bottom!

Perhaps the original prop got smashed on Skellig - hence the crappy version in the V.D.?

Last edited:
Love what you guys have done with this. When I've got a bit more time I'm going to make mine much more like yours, Trent - but I'm going to be a cheapskate and wrap gaffer tape around the bottom!

Perhaps the original prop got smashed on Skellig - hence the crappy version in the V.D.?

this is 100% all trent, im just a copy cat ;)

OK so now that the movie is out, there's definitely a little more to the strap than I previously thought.
It looks like there's snaps on it and maybe some kind of square buckle.
What do you think?

Screen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.41 PM.PNGScreen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.42 PM.PNGScreen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.50 PM 001.PNGScreen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.50 PM.PNG

I get what your saying, is it a square looking snap? That last picture makes it look like it has sharp edges, and not round

Second picture almost looks like a key chain ring or something

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back