Storage Tips & Tricks for Finished Models

JMD

Does anyone have some tips or tricks for properly storing finished models? Or, know of past threads on this subject? I feel like there is probably a lot of knowledge out there that newbies like myself would benefit from. Thx.

Are we talking about normal built-in-box models, or scratch built ones, or cardboard models? As a general rule, plastic sheeting, Syntra, resin, cardboard, paint and various glues don't like humidity, nor too much heat.
If you have to store them for a long length of time, you should invest in proper crating to protect them (transport) and also make sure that the temperature/level of humidity inside the room/locker/warehouse is properly set for perfect storage. :)

Thanks Joberg! Yeah, my question was far too broad. I am personally driven to learn the best ways to store the finished commercial kit models like Bandai etc that are adding up in my house. For example, is it better to store on a stand or create some kind of foam or cardboard support for off stand? As you mentioned, warping is an issue. Any tips to minimize warping? Type of foam to use? Examples on the proper way to cradle and prevent warping for scratch built kits may provide insights that apply downstream to smaller, commercial kit builds. Right now, I am storing in the original kit box on cardboard cradle that, for example, keeps the delicate laser cannons on an x-wing from touch anything. That's the best solution I have right now. Do folks have any techniques to best store models in the original kit box? I can see how those boxes would take up a lot of space, so I am just interested in how others deal with the storage issue. I understand that a lot of this is probably personal taste, but would love to learn what works for builders.

I had a studio scale x-wing shipped to me a few years ago. It was shipped in a box, wings closed, with a form fitted foam cradle around the whole ship. He used a styrofoam, much like you would use for insulating your house. Made it perfectly intact. I kept the box and packing material, for when we move house in the future.
I imagine you could easily replicate this for smaller scale models.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back