Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 14, 2018, 1:31 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #51

@SethS, your inbox is full buddy
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 14, 2018, 1:32 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #52

tomleech said: View Post
    Yeah that one would be fine, these two are what I use:
    Switch size depends on what you want Depends again on the flash you want to use. Momentary switches just push in and out, connecting the wires 'for a moment', latching switches click into place and stay sunk in until you press it again, they keep the wires connected continuously.
    If I design you a chassis I will put a speaker mount in it
    Excellent-- thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

halliwax said: View Post
    @SethS, your inbox is full buddy
    Fixed!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 14, 2018, 1:42 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #53

Ridire Firean said: View Post
    "COUGH" explitive! "COUGH"
    Not to **** off anyone willing to help me that's in a frozen state-- but this is my work area right now:

4. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jan 14, 2018, 1:50 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #54

Lead free solder is difficult to work with and not recommended for new users. I'd recommend Kester 60/40 in whatever diameter best suits your needs. Flux is a cleaner that helps the solder bond and flow. It's typically in paste form but also comes in a no-clean liquid form. It's needed most for reflow work where you're using a pad that already has solder on it. You need a soldering station, not a reflow/rework station. Those are used for ic chips, led stars, etc. If the videos you're watching didn't come from Madcow/TCSS or Plecter, I wouldn't trust them. Most were made by new or inexperienced builders and are riddled with errors, misinformation and shortcuts. I found some really old school instructional videos on soldering but I'm not sure if I can share them here. They totally remind me of the ones we watched in the Army when I got my soldering certification. TCSS and TRA are excellent sources to learn how to build, too.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 14, 2018, 1:54 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #55

SethS said: View Post
    Not to **** off anyone willing to help me that's in a frozen state-- but this is my work area right now:

http://sethmsherwood.com//pretty/ws.jpg

...well isn't that a kick in the nuts....
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Jan 14, 2018, 2:29 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #56

Thanks to the op for getting this going and everyone who has contributed so far! I will be consulting this thread regularly as I go... Must admit though, I'm having to retrain my google-fu to understand what all these darned abbreviations mean. Lol.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 14, 2018, 2:38 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #57

SimplyTim said: View Post
    Thanks to the op for getting this going and everyone who has contributed so far! I will be consulting this thread regularly as I go... Must admit though, I'm having to retrain my google-fu to understand what all these darned abbreviations mean. Lol.
    the youtube videos really help explain everything, the more you read the more you learn. but youtube really helped me understand, shameem also has a few video installs

east coast sabers
    shameem
    genesis custom sabers

all great channels to watch
    Jan 14, 2018, 9:13 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #58

I keep hoping they'll add the MHS Chassis Parts to the Builder!
    That would take a lot of work to incorporate, (I know) so I dont think that would ever happen.

(besides, its flash based, and not mobile friendly by any means, not really worth the further investment)
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jan 16, 2018, 9:50 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #59

Hey @SethS ! How are your measurements coming along?
    Last edited by Ridire Firean; Jan 16, 2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 16, 2018, 9:57 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #60

Still waiting on a part to arrive, then I'll have to make some hard decisions.
    Jan 20, 2018, 11:30 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #61

This is a great thread! Thank you for starting it. It's quite easy to get overwhelmed by all the information that's out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 3, 2018, 3:38 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #62

Okay-- all parts are in. As soon as I figure out how to build everything into place I can measure out my internal space and draw up a plan...

13. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 4, 2018, 10:01 AM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #63

Damn Seth that looks really legit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 4, 2018, 12:03 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #64

I’m taking suggestions of how to install the upper pieces into the lower body of in a way that still allows for electronics...
  15. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Feb 4, 2018, 1:11 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #65

Okay-- all parts are in. As soon as I figure out how to build everything into place I can measure out my internal space and draw up a plan...

http://sethmsherwood.com//pretty/customFX.jpg
    That looks insane!! I love it!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 4, 2018, 1:17 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #66

It's a Minicam D cell flash, with the clamp from a Canon X, @ScottD angersol channel grips along with some Starkiller style grips I found on Etsy, and a TCSS neck and emitter.

Normally to connect TCSS parts I'd use teflon tape to thicken up thr thread area, slide it in place, then tap some set screws in-- but now that I have to think about internal space for electronics, I'm having to get crafty...
  17. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Feb 4, 2018, 1:19 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #67

And this is NOT your Rey saber for the competition?
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Feb 4, 2018, 2:18 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #68

then tap some set screws in-- but now that I have to think about internal space for electronics, I'm having to get crafty...
    So, use set screws that have been filed to length such that they bottom out at the interior diameter, and top out at the outer diameter. I see plenty of clever little holes that are ready to accept a clever little screw or two. And too, I see plenty of little screws that are already in place that could be replaced with slightly longer versions of themselves where the need arises.

My 'uniformity-eye' doesn't know what to make of the flat U-channel bar in amongst the pretty curve-ended ones.

Is the end of the emitter heat-treated? If not, it's a great effect from the available lighting! I've been dreading, but wanting to try heat-treating my Roman's Mk1 emitter to have a ring of conical flame discolorations around its inner ring of burner holes. I think it'll make for an amazing real-life effect on an imaginary tool that will lend a sense of believability to the function of the object.

Oh, and I also see two rectangular entryways for some electronics connections. Think micro USB or 3-Pin 2.5mm/2.0mm micro header connectors a-la Yoda (Michael Murphy).
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 4, 2018, 2:45 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #69

roygilsing said: View Post
    And this is NOT your Rey saber for the competition?
    Nope! ... but that one is pretty awesome too!

So, use set screws that have been filed to length such that they bottom out at the interior diameter, and top out at the outer diameter.
    That will definitely work where I am layering thicker parts. The grips though I'm not sure since the thickness of the body isn't much.

I see plenty of clever little holes that are ready to accept a clever little screw or two. And too, I see plenty of little screws that are already in place that could be replaced with slightly longer versions of themselves where the need arises.
    I'm thinking the same thing-- I'm making a plan for that right now.

My 'uniformity-eye' doesn't know what to make of the flat U-channel bar in amongst the pretty curve-ended ones.
    I like the non-uniformity. I like a little asymmetry here and there. Makes it feel more slipshod OT style to me.

Is the end of the emitter heat-treated? If not, it's a great effect from the available lighting!
    Nope! Just matte spray-paint with V2 style weathering. I plan to do the upper emitter the same way.

Oh, and I also see two rectangular entryways for some electronics connections. Think micro USB or 3-Pin 2.5mm/2.0mm micro header connectors a-la Yoda (Michael Murphy).
    There's actually SIX of them, Heiland/MPP style.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 4, 2018, 3:03 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #70

21. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Feb 4, 2018, 4:20 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #71

this is so sick!
    Feb 4, 2018, 7:33 PM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #72

That is a killer design. Like I said elsewhere, it reminds me of an OT Windu saber.

Also, marking this thread for future reference.
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Feb 9, 2018, 8:49 AM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #73

Wow, this is coming along quite nicely! I'm going to have to look into those Cannon flash tubes. Liking the odd ball grips as well! Sets it off...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
  24. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    Apr 15, 2018, 8:08 AM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #74

So !!! Have we all stopped holding hand !! No updates ?
    From
    Los Angeles
    Apr 15, 2018, 11:35 AM - Re: Who wants to hold my hand making an FX saber? #75

My fault! I'm on a show right now, which completely consumes my time and energy. When I work at home I break up
    my days with saberin'. That's not happening right now

Also waiting on TCSS to get the board I want back in stock. Once that happens and this show wraps, this is my priority! (After a month recovering in Palm Springs or something.)