UV Paint/Bulbs for engine glow?

Roy Batty

I am gathering my supplies to start a Zvezda Star Destroyer. I have seen some AMAZING skills displayed here, and the models are beautiful! I have a question for anyone that has either "toyed with the idea" or successfully executed using UV paint to simulate engine glow.

In reference to the lighting/painting of the engine bells (on the Star Destroyer), would it be feasible to paint the "inside" of the bell with a transparent UV Reactive Blacklight paint? Something thin/colorless that could be airbrushed? (and keep in mind I have never used these products)

paint.JPG

Ex: https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-U.../dp/B00BD4UZ9I

And if so, could it be "lit" with a UV LED lamp?

bulbs.JPG

Ex: http://www.violed.com.tw/3mm Round...ED Lamp.html

I thought that this might enhance the "glow" effect inside the bells. I realize that you would still need the bright blue LED as the core engine source, but maybe "treble" 3 UV's around the main blue LED? And perhaps this could be this could be done behind the diffuser? The intent is to actually illuminate the inside surface of the bell with UV paint, while the main (blue) LED provides the strong ambient glow of the engine. I am unclear if this would work, or be more trouble than it's worth.

SD rear.JPG

I couldn't help but think about the "blacklight" effect that is commonly used in so many ways.

Usually, I brainstorm before a practical attempt...and I can't get this idea out of my head. So, before I make a small investment in UV paint/bulbs--and make an attempt, I was hoping that this technique has be explored by someone here. If ANYONE has had experience with enhancing the "GLOW" of engine lighting using these paints/bulbs/methods, I would love to see example/s.

Thanx.

UV light causes eye damage. You need protective glasses to look at it safely. Regular LEDs would be a much better and safer choice.
Charles is correct about the UV eye damage, but there might be a workaround to the UV led.

A lot of white LEDs use a UV die to make a patch of phosphorus glow giving the white light. They tend to emit more UV than normal non UV LEDs, but not as much as an UV LED. The problem with UV paints is they fade with constant exposure to UV. The UV paint used in the production of Batman and Robin says their paint inside would last 1+year depending on length and amount of exposure, if sunlight were added to the mix repainting could be needed in as little as 3 months.

You might want to look into Stuart Semple's Culture Hustle "LIT" glow pigment. I'm using his "Blackest Black Paint for light blocking and have been impressed with how black and flat the paint is. The "LIT" powder is made to mix with acrylic medium, and paint on so it might be what you are looking for...a bright glow that's long lasting , and easy to recharge.

https://www.culturehustle.com/colle...-pigment-100-pure-lit-powder-by-stuart-semple

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back