Star Wars Card Games and others

Love your analyses :D Great work already! I've also been thinking about the rules. Here is my take on it:

THE DECK

View attachment 822503
"The deck consists of 30 green cards, 30 red cards, and 2 blue cards. The greens and reds are numbered 1 to 10, and there are three of each. The blues are both numbered zero."

This is consistent with what the visual dictionary tells us.
View attachment 822504
"Corellian Spike rules favor a 62-card deck, with cards ranging in value from -10 to 10, and two zero-value cards known as sylops (Old Corellian for "idiots")

In my opinion, these are the most logical card values. There are no coins, staves, stars or any other named cards in Corellian Spike other than the Sylops.

View attachment 822505

SETUP

Except for the bounty tokens, these rules do not change. Instead of the Token Stack, there is a Hand Pot and a Sabacc Pot.View attachment 822506
The two pots are mentioned in the visual dictionary.

View attachment 822507

"The object of Corellian Spike
sabacc is to achieve a card total closest to zero. Two pots accumulate in value during a game, with hand pot won each round."

Ending a game by drawing a total of exactly zero is way to easy. We should scratch this. There are better ways to win the Sabacc Pot as mention in previous comments.

HOW TO PLAY

1. DRAW PHASE
View attachment 822508

This part of 'how to play' is useful. No need to change anything here.

2. SPIKE PHASE

The Spike Phase is the same in both the visual dictionary and the Hasbro game. There are no mentions of ways the protect cards from shifting. Corellian Spike might be an older, less modern version of Sabacc without the protection rules. So we can keep this part of the classic Sabacc out.

View attachment 822510

View attachment 822509

3. BETTING PHASE

This part sounds pretty similar to Texas Hold'm. "I'll see your bet and I'll raise you, two-thousand", "I'll see your two-thousand and I'll raise you however much this is". "And I'm calling". In the second game Lando's says "If you fold now, you'll walk away with enough to buy your own ship. If you call, I'm gonna clean you out again".

Fold, Call, Raise, Bet.

REPEAT TWO MORE TIMES

View attachment 822511

"The round is then over and all players reveal their cards at the same time."

WINNING A ROUND

Best hand wins.

Here are all the possible hands as mentioned in the game or in the movie:

GOOD HANDS

View attachment 822512

VERY GOOD HANDS

View attachment 822513

BEST HANDS

View attachment 822515

Nope, not listening to the Hasbro game here. The movie showed us a Strait Staves and a Pure Sabacc. Does that mean we have these options?

View attachment 822516

In all cases, the player with the highest value card wins. If the values are the same, the player with the highest positive card wins. I both players still have the same, they both draw a card, highest drawn card wins.

WINNING THE GAME!

View attachment 822517

Not the Hasbro-way. Texas Hold'm style, When one player takes all the credits.

So, yeah, I think this version is a lot simpler and sticks closer to known info about Corellian Spike. The rules others have suggested are closer to classic Sabacc I think.
Sounds goo to me! One question, though: is there any particular reason you chose the order "Ace, Commander, Master, Mistress?" In Legends, it used to be "Commander, Mistress, Master, Ace."

Cool! That already looks like real game instructions!
(Nice one to integrate the "Sylop Spike" :))
I still somehow have the feeling that "Straight Staves" is a strange name for the shown array, but as this is what is seen in the movie, I guess we'll have to go with it.
Would be great, if we figure out some more general logic for ranking the combinations while integrating Han's hand from the movie, but so far I haven't come up with anything better...
So just gotta wait for the cards and go for extensive test gaming!! ;-)

Playtesting is the best next step. It's the best way to find out what the best ranking of combinations is.

Nice! Also just noticed your username, are you a fellow Scout Trooper? TB-87101 here from Nordic Garrison. :)

Awesome! I've been a Scout Trooper for about five years. I did sell it a few years ago, now I own a Stormtrooper and ISB officer.

Sounds goo to me! One question, though: is there any particular reason you chose the order "Ace, Commander, Master, Mistress?" In Legends, it used to be "Commander, Mistress, Master, Ace."

There are nog Coins, Flasks, Staves or Sabers in Corellian Spike. Nor is there any indication that Commander, Mistress, Master and Ace are present in this old version of Sabacc.

In the movie Han shows off a Strait Staves to Lando:
StraitStaves.PNG

Red cards are negative numbers, green cards are positive. The way he lays down the cards indicates that the values from left to right are 7 to 10, lowest to highest value. Looking at the card colors and keeping with the 7 to 10, this is a very good hand since it adds up to zero. ( -7 plus +8 plus +9 plus -10 equals zero).

If we name the cards Ace, Commander, Master and Mistress this would sum up to: -10 plus +7 plus +9 plus -8 equals a hand of minus two. Han would have never bet his VCX-100 on this hand. So, it would be more logical that these card names do not appear in Corellian Spike Sabacc.

Not sure if anyone brought it up on this thread or not but in the Solo A Star Wars Story Visual Guide they have a really nice picture and explanation of the chips used in Sabacc as well as a nice wooden Deck Holder and Dice Holder. I found some pictures of examples of the types of bargaining chips they used but it would be amazing to buy this in a beautiful set altogether cards, wooden box, instructions bargaining chips and all. I would easily bay 100 to 150 for a good quality set with nice reproduction pieces and nice quality printed cards.

solo-star-wars-story-props-hollywood-studios-launch-bay-06022018-39-1.jpg solo-star-wars-story-props-hollywood-studios-launch-bay-06022018-5.jpg solo-star-wars-story-props-hollywood-studios-launch-bay-06022018-40.jpg

These are all really interesting and could grow the lore even deeper now that they have a definitive set of events that took place for this game and the game now has rules etc. Beautiful pieces too! I should state these are in fact the original props that are also shown in that book but the book has some other really nice pieces not shown in these pictures. Hope it helps!

Not sure if anyone brought it up on this thread or not but in the Solo A Star Wars Story Visual Guide they have a really nice picture and explanation of the chips used in Sabacc as well as a nice wooden Deck Holder and Dice Holder. I found some pictures of examples of the types of bargaining chips they used but it would be amazing to buy this in a beautiful set altogether cards, wooden box, instructions bargaining chips and all. I would easily bay 100 to 150 for a good quality set with nice reproduction pieces and nice quality printed cards.

View attachment 822683 View attachment 822682 View attachment 822681

These are all really interesting and could grow the lore even deeper now that they have a definitive set of events that took place for this game and the game now has rules etc. Beautiful pieces too! I should state these are in fact the original props that are also shown in that book but the book has some other really nice pieces not shown in these pictures. Hope it helps!
Thanks for the pix! Especially the one almost directly from the top is really helpful to identify the details of the different coinage! I'm already working on the vertex crystal coins - though I doubt I'll find a way to produce these in larger numbers...

View attachment 822683 View attachment 822682 View attachment 822681

I found complete stl. files for a lot of these chips on thingiverse! I’m not sure if it is anyone from here but they certainly look good to me:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2909753

Also, I have made some credit chips (The Clone Wars variant). They are similar to some seen in Solo, although the shape and the symbols differ a little.
b5c76a9152684d3a07530ee46099a57d.jpg

I’d like to start working on more types of these coins though!

I, like many here, joined this forum simply to follow this project. I've posted on other forums that I own a copy of the Rebels/Celebration style deck. My hope has always been that someone could recreate my deck.

I might have missed a bit of this conversation, but here are the reference cards that came with my deck.

aLnVHPZ.jpghjPLRit.jpgy29hq0j.jpg5oB7qz7.jpg

I, like many here, joined this forum simply to follow this project. I've posted on other forums that I own a copy of the Rebels/Celebration style deck. My hope has always been that someone could recreate my deck.

I might have missed a bit of this conversation, but here are the reference cards that came with my deck.

Right after celebration I made a full replica of this deck. Here is are some photos of the cards. The deck is somewhere in my house, can't find it at the moment...

27574903_186787138745220_2067672963682926592_n.jpg14727674_1660333360923617_6454416606922539008_n.jpg

Right after celebration I made a full replica of this deck. Here is are some photos of the cards. The deck is somewhere in my house, can't find it at the moment...

View attachment 822929View attachment 822930
Do you still have printer ready files? I really want to have a couple decks ran off for me and my son. Last year a guy on reddit used my deck as a reference and made a very good version. There was one thing I wanted to change though, but I never tried to get back with him until recently. At the time he was willing to take suggestions and even provide his PSD files.

Very nice. I just had a second run of traditional Sabacc cards printed out based on the Rebels cards that I found on some forum last year. I modified the Star to match the new canon value of -10 and also had a Pazaak deck made as well. Loved how they turned out.

I'm also interested in Rebels/Celebration sabacc, so... should anyone start a run of it or be willing to share the printer-ready files, I'm interested all the same!

Very nice. I just had a second run of traditional Sabacc cards printed out based on the Rebels cards that I found on some forum last year. I modified the Star to match the new canon value of -10 and also had a Pazaak deck made as well. Loved how they turned out.

Do you know whose version you used, would you be able to share?

You should note, however, that if you strive for accuracy, many of the cards featured in this deck differ from the Rebels/Anaheim deck, especially the face cards (see Daddysmee's earlier post for comparison).

Yeah, Drew's deck was created before the Celebration deck. He did a great job, he just didn't have the reference for several cards yet.

Do you still have printer ready files? I really want to have a couple decks ran off for me and my son. Last year a guy on reddit used my deck as a reference and made a very good version. There was one thing I wanted to change though, but I never tried to get back with him until recently. At the time he was willing to take suggestions and even provide his PSD files.

Thats cool do you have the files for those or the corellian spike? if you could post those that would be awesome

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back