Star Wars Card Games and others

Whatever we decide, it would be cool to turn into a fitting for the universe printable sheet! I'm going to model up a card case tonight and host the file for free for anyone that wants one. Now we need cheap dice!

Now that we can look forward to actually playing a round of Sabacc with authentic cards (Thanks again here to TB-7021's awesome work!), I thought it's time to discuss the naming and ordering of the face-cards.
As I'm afraid that we won't get any official statement on this, I guess we'll have to come up with something ourselves. Of course everyone is free to play the game as he/she likes, but I'd still like to try and find some community-consent on what could be the most likely way of playing.
According to Star-Wars-Lore the face cards of each suit are usually named as "Commander", "Mistress", "Master" and "Ace". As we got exactly four face cards in this version, this seems to fit quite well.
But who is who?
I'd like to propose the following order:

"Commander" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 7)

https://i.imgur.com/OwSVGrJ.jpg

"Mistress" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 8)

https://i.imgur.com/VXpkRfV.jpg

"Master" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 9)

https://i.imgur.com/l3bCYGo.jpg

"Ace" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 10)

https://i.imgur.com/diUiOAZ.jpg

Why this order??

I will just explain my thoughts on each card.
First the "Mistress". This was the one that struck me first. There is this heart-shaped form in the middle of the card and the overall design had kind of a female feeling to it. I know that's quite subjective, but that's how I felt it.

That made the "Master" a logical choice. His graphic looks more square and rigid and reminds me of a King holding a staff.

The "Ace" wasn't really clear, because both remaining cards bear just a single symbol. The circular one reminded me most of the design of Aces in real-world-cardgames, so I went for this one.

Leaving the "Commander"...
That one is not really striking so far. The longer I look at it, the more it reminds me of military insignia. Another aspect is that the design of this cards seems to be the "simplest" thus making it logical that it is the one with the lowest value. But I got to admit, that this card's interpretation is surely the most far-fetched.

So, what do you think? Really would love to hear thoughts and feelings of you all on this matter!

I was thinking about naming the cards as well and the only thing I did differently from you was that i swapped the "Ace" and "Commander". To me, the star-like shape looks more like a kind of ace. Just sharing my thoughts...

Also, we have only 3 suits, but in the sabacc were 4 (flasks, sabers, staves, coins). I doubt we would name the new suits "circles", "triangles" and "squares". If I am not mistaken, Han actually mentioned staves in the film, am I right? Though I don’t remember which shape it was.

I’d name circles "coins" obviously, squares "staves" (according to the film?) and triangles "sabers" (they evoke the blade of the saber?).

What are others’ thoughts on this?

SUNdRBz.png

Basic model to get adjusted when I have exact dimensions. Not sure if separating parts would make it easier to wrap with leather/pleather or what.

StraitStaves.PNG

This is what I based the face card values on.

When Han plays this hand he calls it "Strait Staves". Whenever you play a strait you probably show the cards in order of lower value left to highest value right. I think he shows his hand facing Lando with 7 on the left and 10 on the right on screen.

The values Han plays are thus negative 7, positive 8, positive 9 and negative 10. This adds up to zero and is a very good hand. But it's not as good as a full Sabacc of course.

In this case, the smallest graphic has the lowest value and the most complicated graphic has the highest value.

From the Visual Dictionary:
Knipsel.PNG

Last edited:
View attachment 820962

This is what I based the face card values on.

When Han plays this hand he calls it "Strait Staves". Whenever you play a strait you probably show the cards in order of lower value left to highest value right. I think he shows his hand facing Lando with 7 on the left and 10 on the right on screen.

The values Han plays are thus negative 7, positive 8, positive 9 and negative 10. This adds up to zero and is a very good hand. But it's not as good as a full Sabacc of course.

In this case, the smallest graphic has the lowest value and the most complicated graphic has the highest value.

From the Visual Dictionary:
View attachment 820964

Wow! Now that's completely boggling my mind...

OK, if we assume, that the sum has to be zero, we are saying that the outermost are -7 and -10, and the middle ones +8 and +9, then this really sums up to a total of zero.
Though we still can't know, which one is highest and which lowest. But this image makes it logical, that the two "simple symbols" and the two complex ones are paired (as 7021's design already proposed).

If I look at it this way, then I'd say that the simple ones (which are also bearing the "suit-bar" or whatever you'll call it) are the lower ones, and the other two the higher ones.

Somehow doesn't feel right. Will think about that a little more...

What's really nonsense nontheless is this being called "straight staves", because there are obviously two different suits involved (triangles and squares if I see it right). Any ideas how to make sense of that?

Indeed. There is enough logic behind it, but the designs don't make any sense at all.

What I didn't see until I finished redrawing the "10" is that it has some sort of a queen in it. It's a female face with a headpiece.

Another detail about the cards. "Sylop" is an old Correlian word for idiot. Does that mean you can win a game of Correlian Spike with an Idiot's Array? Or is that rule only used in regular Sabacc games?

Indeed. There is enough logic behind it, but the designs don't make any sense at all.

What I didn't see until I finished redrawing the "10" is that it has some sort of a queen in it. It's a female face with a headpiece.

Another detail about the cards. "Sylop" is an old Correlian word for idiot. Does that mean you can win a game of Correlian Spike with an Idiot's Array? Or is that rule only used in regular Sabacc games?

I don't think the Idiot's array would make any sense in Correlian Spike. Usually it's 2 + 3 + Idiot instead of a real 23. Got no idea how that should work with zero as the goal.
But there's no need, because the Sylop's value of zero is incredebly powerful in Correlian Spike by itself. (That's why Lando keeps one in his Sleeve...)

Hello,

I've been following this thread hoping for a EU version of the deck to be made. TB-7021- The work you are doing looks great, however I am one of those people not embracing the current Disney star wars and am living in a bubble of time sticking with the EU. These are extensive rules on how to play the "traditional version" of sabacc. ( yes, there are many versions...) Would you consider using the same template for the version that you just released but recreate with the images for a EU version?

View attachment 820886View attachment 820887

I don‘t know how much time TB-7021 has, but TB-7021 give me roughly two weeks and I‘ll help you create these cards. But first gotta finish my final exams [emoji28][emoji19]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a few discussions on various Star Wars Subreddits concerning the discrepancies between, Sabacc, Corellian Spike, Han Solo Card Game, Etc. Perhaps a dedicated subreddit for the discussion of development/design and playing of the most movie accurate version of Sabacc could be created? I'm sure that there's enough users here and on reddit that would be able to contribute and we could develop some ultimate rules until Disney/Lucasfilm gets around to it... What I'm most interested in would be how to modify the Han Solo Card Game to include betting with real money.

There have been a few discussions on various Star Wars Subreddits concerning the discrepancies between, Sabacc, Corellian Spike, Han Solo Card Game, Etc. Perhaps a dedicated subreddit for the discussion of development/design and playing of the most movie accurate version of Sabacc could be created? I'm sure that there's enough users here and on reddit that would be able to contribute and we could develop some ultimate rules until Disney/Lucasfilm gets around to it... What I'm most interested in would be how to modify the Han Solo Card Game to include betting with real money.
& Just like that I am a moderator of r/StarWarsSabacc

Just found this thread... keep it up guys! I'm a long-time player of Sabacc... back when the Idiot's Array mean Idiot+2+3. Good times. Guess it's time to learn Corellian Spike!

-Magnoli

I think the Bounty tokens you play for in the Hasbro version can easily be replaced with poker chips or custom made credits. So that players can raise, call etc each round just like in poker.

What confused me is the two pots mentioned in several places. The hand pot each round is easy to understand, but the Sabbacc pot? How and when does money get put into that pot?

I think the Bounty tokens you play for in the Hasbro version can easily be replaced with poker chips or custom made credits. So that players can raise, call etc each round just like in poker.

What confused me is the two pots mentioned in several places. The hand pot each round is easy to understand, but the Sabbacc pot? How and when does money get put into that pot?
From what I've seen, the "Sabacc Pot" is what everybody puts their buy-in into. Then, the hand pot is just anteing up. The confusing part to me is how the Sabacc pot is won.

Join us on reddit at reddit.com/r/starwarssabacc

From what I've seen, the "Sabacc Pot" is what everybody puts their buy-in into. Then, the hand pot is just anteing up. The confusing part to me is how the Sabacc pot is won.

Join us on reddit at reddit.com/r/starwarssabacc

I think that is confusing. It says on the wiki that the player who ended the game by drawing a sylop wins it, but that seems to random and easy to win the big pot.

Damn... stupid work. I responded to this thread way back in February trying to revive this thread ahead of the Solo release and I missed out on the first run... Damn it.

I think that is confusing. It says on the wiki that the player who ended the game by drawing a sylop wins it, but that seems to random and easy to win the big pot.

I also read that, but I can't imagine that that's what they meant. I'd rather think, that a player gets the Sabacc_
-Pot if he wins the game with a "Pure Sabacc" (so exact zero in this case) including an additional Sylop. At least that is how I would play it...

Edit: maybe the owners of the new Solo cardgame could help: What is your experience? Does it happen often that the winner of a round also carries a Sylop? So maybe we could really have both options (like in the original Sabacc) : either an exact zero - or any winner who also has a Sylop in his hand.

I also read that, but I can't imagine that that's what they meant. I'd rather think, that a player gets the Sabacc_
-Pot if he wins the game with a "Pure Sabacc" (so exact zero in this case) including an additional Sylop. At least that is how I would play it...

Edit: maybe the owners of the new Solo cardgame could help: What is your experience? Does it happen often that the winner of a round also carries a Sylop? So maybe we could really have both options (like in the original Sabacc) : either an exact zero - or any winner who also has a Sylop in his hand.
The Sylops are pretty random and don't really carry that much weight in the "Han Solo Card Game." They are only a zero card... Something is missing in the Han Solo Card Game because if you're dealt two good cards, you can stand 3 times- but, hands with more cards are hierarchically better, there's not really any motivation to hit or discard to strengthen your hand when you only have 3 turns to do it. The Sylop effectively makes hands stronger on simply card count alone. So if you have a +10 & -6 & -4, then somebody might beat you with a -6, +2, +3, +1. If the Sylop was in your hand however, you would win I believe, or at least tie on card count.

Isnt that how he wins in Solo though? Lando and him both had 4 cards equaling 0 but the sylop made it a better hand by being more cards?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back