Star Wars Card Games and others

Page #094.jpg
Saw this in the visual dictionary and thought it could help.
Very interested in that run, and impresive work in just a few days.

What kind of paper quality are you looking at? Would it be too big an ask for something textured?

I'm aiming for good quality playing cards. I did test prints with textured paper, but that would triple the cost and production time.
TB-7021 Firstly thanks for all your time & research in moving this towards a run, as you are still in the R&D process would it be possible to discuss printing options & prices before you make a final decision, as a quality must have prop from the SOLO movie I would be up for higher quality card/board stock & printing if offered so there maybe others.

Also are you considering offering the Card Case and gabbling chips etc?

Thanks again very cool project :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
@Muddler Thanks for the feedback and questions!

1). Correct, my photo shows a more dark blue with light greenish yellow. I've changed it to a more dark blue/orangey yellow. I think you could be right about the blue being more of a dark brown. The photos from El Capitain are very blue due to the lights. I'll see what I can find out with some color editing in photoshop.

2). Uncharted Leather posted the photo that confirms the two Sylops are the same. The wording in the movie is weird indeed. He calls it the green sylops. The conversations continues with Han saying "they have both been played". He might be referring to both Green Sylop cards here.

3). The design of these Roblox cards is way off. I don't believe it's anything official or related to the movie.

SabaccOverviewUpdate0527.PNG

About the texture. I just came back from a third screening. In the second Sabacc game the texture is clearly visible, however, I did not notice it in the first Sabacc game. Looking at the credits and other tokens, they are different in both games. The credits in the second game have an oxidized texture which is missing in the first. Could it be possible that the deck of cards is different too? Any ideas?
@Timbuktu The test prints I did are professionally printed. I am going to use 300grs paper, which is the same weight and thickness as playing cards. If you have any suggestions for even higher quality I'd love to know!

The card case is fantastic and I am playing on making it. This is more work than making the decks, I don't think I'm able to produce a high number of these.

This project is a lot of fun to work on. Thanks everyone for the great comments :D

1). Correct, my photo shows a more dark blue with light greenish yellow. I've changed it to a more dark blue/orangey yellow. I think you could be right about the blue being more of a dark brown. The photos from El Capitain are very blue due to the lights. I'll see what I can find out with some color editing in photoshop.

Alright, think I got it.

Looking at the deck on top of the card case in the El Capitain display. The color of the card matches the color of the case! We already have a perfectly lit photo of the card case which makes picking the correct colors a lot easier.

SabaccOverviewUpdate0528.PNG

Man I’m really impressed by how fast you were able to get these drawn up! I’m for sure interested in a deck when you do the run!

TB-7021, Made an account specifically to say that I am IN for a run of these cards. I've been playing the "Han Solo Card Game" all day, and it's fun but also slightly disappointing as I have been wanting to play Sabacc since I was a kid. Going to be working on modifying the rules to make it like what is being played in the movie.... Also, pretty dissatisfied with the quality of cards that come with the game. Was looking into doing exactly what you will be doing with your deck, then I found this thread and here we are.

I too have been playing the Han Solo card game (even got my wife and kid into it as well) but want a fuller game of sabacc. So if there's still space I'd love to be in this run as well!

EDIT: Also, maybe I missed it, but do you plan on selling the wooden credits/chips? The cardboard ones in the han solo car game aren't as satisfying.

I've always thought these cards would look cool printed on plastic playing cards. Same "texture" look to them but with a plastic feel. I also thought it would be cool to somehow work in the "changing card rule" that goes along with the actual rules of the "universe" version of Sabacc. The only thought I had with how to accomplish this was to make the cards all have a "hidden" face to them that's only revealed once placed under a small blacklight that each player would have in front of them. Just my first thought.

Hello,

I've been following this thread hoping for a EU version of the deck to be made. TB-7021- The work you are doing looks great, however I am one of those people not embracing the current Disney star wars and am living in a bubble of time sticking with the EU. These are extensive rules on how to play the "traditional version" of sabacc. ( yes, there are many versions...) Would you consider using the same template for the version that you just released but recreate with the images for a EU version?

sabacc.jpgsabacc-4.jpg

I also created an account just to try to get in on this run. We have loved playing the game with the hasbro version but it doesn’t have the right feel.

I might just be dumb, but I can’t seem to find the project runs thread.

Happy to get in on the run.

Those rules from the Hasbro game seems to work IMO, anyone using other rules to play?

Now that we can look forward to actually playing a round of Sabacc with authentic cards (Thanks again here to TB-7021's awesome work!), I thought it's time to discuss the naming and ordering of the face-cards.
As I'm afraid that we won't get any official statement on this, I guess we'll have to come up with something ourselves. Of course everyone is free to play the game as he/she likes, but I'd still like to try and find some community-consent on what could be the most likely way of playing.
According to Star-Wars-Lore the face cards of each suit are usually named as "Commander", "Mistress", "Master" and "Ace". As we got exactly four face cards in this version, this seems to fit quite well.
But who is who?
I'd like to propose the following order:

"Commander" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 7)

OwSVGrJ.jpg

"Mistress" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 8)

VXpkRfV.jpg

"Master" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 9)

l3bCYGo.jpg

"Ace" (adjusted value for Correlian Spike Sabacc: 10)

diUiOAZ.jpg

Why this order??

I will just explain my thoughts on each card.
First the "Mistress". This was the one that struck me first. There is this heart-shaped form in the middle of the card and the overall design had kind of a female feeling to it. I know that's quite subjective, but that's how I felt it.

That made the "Master" a logical choice. His graphic looks more square and rigid and reminds me of a King holding a staff.

The "Ace" wasn't really clear, because both remaining cards bear just a single symbol. The circular one reminded me most of the design of Aces in real-world-cardgames, so I went for this one.

Leaving the "Commander"...
That one is not really striking so far. The longer I look at it, the more it reminds me of military insignia. Another aspect is that the design of this cards seems to be the "simplest" thus making it logical that it is the one with the lowest value. But I got to admit, that this card's interpretation is surely the most far-fetched.

So, what do you think? Really would love to hear thoughts and feelings of you all on this matter!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back