Lego Space Helmet

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I spent the last couple weeks remaking the Master for my full-size Lego Space Helmet in preparation for doing a small run of them. The old mold had gotten pretty crappy, and I wanted to improve the master as well.

The Red one is my personal helmet. The blue one is the new master. I removed all the nicks and damage from the original master. Originally I added the battle damage to make the helmet look more like Benny's helmet in the Lego Movie. But, I also want to be able to make the helmet more pristine if I choose.
IMG_8887.JPG

I thickened up the edges of the helmet to make it closer to the dimensions of the actual vintage Lego space helmets.I also straighten out all the geometry of the helmet a bit.
IMG_8888.JPG

I also made the "face" portion that will come out of the mold with a dimensional Lego smile face. If someone wants to buy the raw kit, they can simple paint the face instead of cutting out the entire face shield area. Just another option.
IMG_8885.JPG

Another nice detail, I 3D printed out a small Lego Space logo for the back bottom of the helmet. Neat.
IMG_8879.JPG

I'll be pouring a bunch of Dragonskin silicon over this in the next couple days. It's my first "glove mold". I'll share the process.

Here's the old helmet master next to my personal helmet.
IMG_8701.jpg

Last edited:
The master helmet went under several coats of silicon today. Specifically Smooth-on Dragon Skin. It’s my first time working with this product. After this cures I’ll be building a mother mild out of Smooth-on Free FormAir.

IMG_8937.jpgIMG_8938.jpgIMG_8939.jpgIMG_8940.jpgIMG_8948.jpg

Last edited:
I know, it looks like I covered it in syrup and stuck little candy bars to it. Brown was the color of choice today :)

Beginning the Mother mold today. And my first time working with Free Form Air. Really nice stuff. Very easy to use.

IMG_8947.jpgIMG_8946.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the
Mother mold today. After both sides cured I opened everything up and removed the new glove mold from the helmet. Everything seems great. I’ll be casting more helmets soon!!

f769ab7d5e1c64be081a7040bfc08d30.jpg

12fdb802b9508c855a8858b2a69aeea7.jpg
b3d8964885bddc5475d9395a6881b3f6.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the first pull from this mold. I'm really happy with the adjustments I made to the master. Especially the little raised logo on the back. This one ships out soon.

IMG_9017.jpgIMG_9022.jpgIMG_9024.jpgIMG_9021.jpgIMG_9020.jpgIMG_9018.jpgIMG_9025.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back