How did you paint your Millennium Falcon?

3Dsf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Given the endless discussions about how to paint a Millennium Falcon model, I thought it might be interesting to see what other people have done! So I've posted a simple survey. It shows you the overall results at the end.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxv_UFxmJvWlBR4NMQYxZKMEqVNy5yS5qwd3ice6U0BgcCtw/viewform

What do you think? Are there any options I've missed? (I want it to be reasonably complete, but not so endless as to make an actual survey kinda pointless)

Thanks!

- nkg

I filled out your survey.......but's all so subjective.

I painted my Falcon and X wing in white and washed and weathered with black....done.

I believe that is how the film models were done, so it works for me.

Completed your survey but the question regarding weathering, only allows one answer. And I used acrylics, oils and pastels in various layers.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It's been fascinating watching all the responses come in, and the varying percentages of answers shifting. Like watching election results. :)

>Completed your survey but the question regarding weathering, only allows one answer.

There's the "other" option there as well, so people can write in their own reply. :)

The problem I had with the survey was it did not allow multiple options

for example. I had no primer, laid down a coat of Tamiya AS-16, then masked off some panels and the sprayed with Tamiya AS-20. So in a way it was like my primer was Tamiya AS-16, then my main base coat was Tamiya AS-20

I also used both oil and pastel weathering as well as hand painting acrylics

Thanks for the info. :)

You can always type up any arbitrary response you wish in the “other” section.

What I'd like to know is how many parts people paint their Falcons in. It seems to me a lot assemble them almost completely then do the whole lot.

It seems the original model makers may have painted fully assembled. Of course, the five footer was such a big model that it was probably easier to spray inside tight corners like the inside edges of the pits. So I’ve seen a lot of people pre-paint their maintenance pits.

I will say, working on the PG Falcon now, I did prime the pits with black before snapping them in. I will still paint everything as one after assembly, but I wanted to make sure to get all the places on the pits primed properly. I figure when airbrushing the base coat, it will be desirable if I don't completely cover every spot in the pits and will help act like pre-shading of sorts

Again I have to share my experience with the DeAgo Falcon.

* completly build the lower half and finish painting including weathering, pits done seperatly
* completly build upper half and finish painting including weahtering, pits done seperatly
* completly build mantibles and finish painting including weathering
* build and painted top engine cover
* everthing assembles, sidewalls, final details and sensordish painted and added.

For EVERY other kit I do I paint along as I build, with mostly the parts still on sprues

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back