ALIEN found items used list? *Mystery Disc Research*

tubachris85x

Master Member
So I've been trying to identify a certain greeblie that's found in both star wars and on some ALIEN props. I was thinking of what particular items- equipment, cameras, car parts, etc. were used to kit-bash some of the props or sets, and cross reference that with what was used for the original star wars trilogy.

Is there a quick guide to such items for the ALIEN movie production?

Re: ALIEN found items used list?

So I've been trying to identify a certain greeblie that's found in both star wars and on some ALIEN props. I was thinking of what particular items- equipment, cameras, car parts, etc. were used to kit-bash some of the props or sets, and cross reference that with what was used for the original star wars trilogy.

Is there a quick guide to such items for the ALIEN movie production?

Photo? Someone might see it and know exactly what it is.

Photo? Someone might see it and know exactly what it is.

No one's ever ID'd this part yet, you be given a ticker-tape parade if you do

Ignore the red circle. This disk on multiple star wars props, but is seen on the ALIEN costume as well as a prop ALIEN space helmet.

The only lead was from the prop builders who claimed they used a "rolls royce aircraft engine," but I've ruled that out as being the source. I've been searching relentlessly for around 5 years now

ab disk notch.png

No one's ever ID'd this part yet, you be given a ticker-tape parade if you do

Ignore the red circle. This disk on multiple star wars props, but is seen on the ALIEN costume as well as a prop ALIEN space helmet.

The only lead was from the prop builders who claimed they used a "rolls royce aircraft engine," but I've ruled that out as being the source. I've been searching relentlessly for around 5 years now

View attachment 786767

Never been identified AFAIK
I once had contact to a goy, who owns a screenused Alien helmet and he could not provide any background information either.

Need this damn thing(s) for my Hoth scanner ;)

Upside-down sink strainer?

What's it made of? If you've been searching for five years, it must be important to you. Take some photos with good lighting of the top, bottom and side of it and post back here.

I think there is an image site that brings up similar things based on your photo as well. Can't remember what it's called.

Can you also post screenshots of the props it is used on?

This looks similar to an engine block plug, I’ve also seen similar in boiler heat exchangers used for safety blow off holes, they are just pushed in with force and are self sealing, similar marks on the edges as if they have been pinged out ( removed ) with a special 3 pronged pliers, not see anything like this for over 25 years now, not even at junk sales

Upside-down sink strainer?

What's it made of? If you've been searching for five years, it must be important to you. Take some photos with good lighting of the top, bottom and side of it and post back here.

I think there is an image site that brings up similar things based on your photo as well. Can't remember what it's called.

Can you also post screenshots of the props it is used on?
reverse image search

An engine block plug cap is a damn fine guess. They would be stamped steel or tin and most likely discarded after transport. They are pried out with a flathead screwdriver if you are being quick about it and that would leave the mark. If you have any good photos of a rolls royce engine prepped for transport that would be a good place to look. They are a throwaway part so getting one or even finding pictures might be a bit difficult.

To answer everyone's questions, yes, I've tried/searched all of the above except for espresso and boiler blow off holes. The engine plugs/core plugs were up there but everything I've seen of them have been void of any detail.

I'm still leaning on the idea it's a part of a dial or selector for a household appliance, or likely for a large audio device.

Do you have a picture of it on the prop? How big is it?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I suspect that dimple is a spot weld, indicating there's something attached to the back of this. More pictures would help.

I found your other thread while I was googling some other ideas: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263003, might be useful for those interested in counting out other options.

Edit: one of the other images shows there are three indents, one next to each 'bump'.

Last edited:

Just based on that photo I'd guess it's a vacform - the dent could well be just that, a dent. Does the dent appear on other versions of this part?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just based on that photo I'd guess it's a vacform - the dent could well be just that, a dent. Does the dent appear on other versions of this part?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'd have to disagree, this piece is likely stamped metal

Here it is on the snowtrooper

where-science-meets-imagination-snow-trooper-x2000.jpg

Han's Hoth scanner

hothscanner3B.jpg

hothscanner3A.jpg

I think you're on the right track.
It appears to be part of a thermostat, which would be a pretty cool coincidence for a scanner used on Hoth.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back