The "Cars" that made us....

DarthLee

Sr Member
Curious to know what everyone's car was at an earlier age.

I have alot of favorites, but I think Kitt was my favorite. sleek, fast.. Ai...just the bad a&& of cars. And the only car I felt emotional over.

Kitt-Knight-Rider.jpg

Re: The "Cars" that made us....

I always liked KITT but thought it was a rip off of the Mad Max Falcon myself. If that car spoke it would only say two words...."**** you"!:lol

Are we talking just movie/tv cars? If so I'd probably say KITT or the A-Team van.

My dad was always a car guy, mostly Corvettes, so I always would say Corvette. My Grandpa had an Opel GT that had the lights that rolled over sideways and I thought that was the coolest thing ever when I was little.

Or this bad mobile the Stallone rocked.

cobra.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking just movie/tv cars? If so I'd probably say KITT or the A-Team van.

My dad was always a car guy, mostly Corvettes, so I always would say Corvette. My Grandpa had an Opel GT that had the lights that rolled over sideways and I thought that was the coolest thing ever when I was little.

I started this thread for just movie cars...which I didnt clarify....but it doesnt matter.. I have always been a fan of the Vet. But I cant remember any movies with one that stood out.

I always liked KITT but thought it was a rip off of the Mad Max Falcon myself. If that car spoke it would only say two words...."**** you"!:lol

The Falcon was more of a drunk uncle to Kitt, 10 foot bloody tall and bloody bullet proof......

The fact they used over 200 of them kinda dilutes it for me a little. But I guess that was for a reason, it was all action action action, so yeah, maybe.

Cant leave out the Blade Runner Spinner either. I always wanted to make a black on black Mad Max version as well, with the MFP decals and all.

The fact they used over 200 of them kinda dilutes it for me a little. But I guess that was for a reason, it was all action action action, so yeah, maybe.

It hurts, yeah. But they were disposable used cars in those days. 10x more of them died from simple neglect.

Most of 'Dukes' jump cars had base-model drivetrains. Low-peformance engines & automatic trannys. Sometimes they resorted to nitrous oxide to get enough speed for a jump.

Today 'Dukes' fans have restored more Chargers & other muscle cars than the TV show ever wrecked. There's no question of that.

Last edited:
Curious to know what everyone's car was at an earlier age.

I have alot of favorites, but I think Kitt was my favorite. sleek, fast.. Ai...just the bad a&& of cars. And the only car I felt emotional over.

View attachment 786698
I have a fantasy where if I ever get rich Ill buy a Kit trans am (there’s a company in Florida that sells them fully converted), and replace the insides with all new modern technology, so I can have a car with all the modern comforts : heated seats and steering wheel, navigation, car play, Sirius, back up cam, blind side warning...all of it, including a decent sized engine. Fully loaded, but still LOOK like Kit from the outside.

I bet bet it could be done, all told, for under 100k easy. Problem is, right now 100k may was well be 100million. It’s out of reach economically. But the day dream is fun.

(btw, I settled for a 2017 Dodge Challenger. Fully modern with a 70s muscle car look...its no Kit...but For now it’s fun.)

I have a fantasy where if I ever get rich Ill buy a Kit trans am (there’s a company in Florida that sells them fully converted), and replace the insides with all new modern technology, so I can have a car with all the modern comforts : heated seats and steering wheel, navigation, car play, Sirius, back up cam, blind side warning...all of it, including a decent sized engine. Fully loaded, but still LOOK like Kit from the outside.

I bet bet it could be done, all told, for under 100k easy. Problem is, right now 100k may was well be 100million. It’s out of reach economically. But the day dream is fun.

(btw, I settled for a 2017 Dodge Challenger. Fully modern with a 70s muscle car look...its no Kit...but For now it’s fun.)

No car project is ever CHEAP but that sounds more like $40k than $100k.

A big chunk of the KITT replica cost normally goes into constructing and setting up the prop-accurate dashboard & interior. Starting with a finished KITT replica might be an unnecessary expense if you are just going to replace 2/3rds of what's inside. (And the KITT steering wheel has no business on a street driven car anyway IMO).

Your idea calls for starting with a (nice) Trans Am that has only the exterior converted to KITT status. Get the KITT dashboard frame, and do the rest of the interior your own way with modern stuff.

The crucial part of keeping the costs down for any project like this is to start with the right car. Anything can be restored but that always burns money. It's cheaper to buy a nice car than a rough one even if the nicer one needs more options/colors/etc to be changed.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back