Played with some oils...

ausf

I picked up water miscible oils to use on figure kits, but couldn't help trying them out on a cheap canvas board.

It's been over 30 years since I've tried oils, I forgot how frustrating as well as fun they can be. This coincided with buying a turntable, amp and speakers to expose my son to the wonders of vinyl (me too, it's been a long time).

So after a few hours of pushing paint around to the warm sounds of Zep, Sabbath and Floyd, I came up with this:

f6.jpg

You're painting is excellent! What do you think of water-miscible oils? While I've used conventional oils and heat-set 'oils', I've never tried the water-miscible oils. My concern would be losing the luminosity and translucency that I love about regular oils paints. Did you find that to be true, hence the monochromatic painting?

Anyway, very cool painting and draftmanship!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're painting is excellent! What do you think of water-miscible oils? While I've used conventional oils and heat-set 'oils', I've never tried the water-miscible oils. My concern would be losing the luminosity and translucency that I love about regular oils paints. Did you find that to be true, hence the monochromatic painting?

Anyway, very cool painting and draftmanship!

Thanks!

They behaved as well as traditional oils (for what I remember of them) except the longevity of being workable. I did this in roughly one hour sessions over 4 or 5 days and had to end it because they were getting gummy. Granted it was extremely cold in NY last week so the 15% humidity and constant furnace probably led to that as much as anything else.

There is color there, the shadows are purple and midtones a yellow green, but it's very subtle and hard to photograph without getting a heavy reflection.

The Achromtic look is also a symptom of my lack of experience, dulling the color as I worked it. This was just for fun, I'll take the lessons learned into the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back