Vintage ANH D Ring & Clip disaster...any ideas?

Rachen

Had the handy man at work offer to remove and shape my dring and clip from my recently purchased Vintage from Roman...The next day this was sitting on my desk :( :( 20180111_174417.jpg20180111_174347.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas what if anything can be done? As you can imagine i am devistated!

Now this is where the true propmaker has to become creative ... so perhaps you can just use the part on the left with a rivet and if need be some glue to create this :

Check first if additional slow bending to hold the D-ring properly is really necessary ... remember measure twice, do once ... this goes for cutting, bending and before using a so-called handyman ... :wacko

Chaïm

Thanks sym-cha, at this point im taking all creative suggestions i can get after picking my jaw up off of the floor...yet to find out what happend to it but thanks so much for the idea! keep them coming guys! hate seeing vintage items like this :(

You could try soldering the pieces back together from the inside portion of the bracket. I haven't tried this but maybe other members have and could chime in.

Wow, that's awful Rachen ! I almost wonder "Why bother reshaping it?". I'm with @el toro ! But make sure you solder the D-Ring inside the clamp as you solder it back together. I doubt the solder would hold the parts together if you tried to slip the D-Ring back within clamp after that kind of failure when it was one solid piece. Keep the D-Ring away from the solder joint as best you can to help prevent it from being siezed by any solder flowing through the backside of the seam you're soldering. You might get the bottom piece and the middle piece soldered from the inside, but the top to middle weld will have to be from the outside. Maybe do it in reverse so that any solder left on the outside will be hidden below the fold of the clamp! AGAIN, make sure the D-Ring is in place before you make that second weld to close the clamp!!!

Good Luck on your repair!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you could also JB weld or JB putty stick it together. it won't have the same spring strength though.

You could also cut some metal and bend it into this shape. You may have to whack at it a bit, but 1-2 mm aluminum should work?

not a bad idea, it won't be vintage but it will be your own handiwork. You could cut 1 mm aluminum with tough scissors or snips and a hacksaw would rip through it like butter!

Maybe find a piece of metal that is somewhat thin that you can use as a backing for the pieces to attach to and hopefully doesn't show much?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back