ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber

I'll grant you that the prop was modified over time, so it's difficult to know just what the details of it were during its tenure as Vader's ANH dueling saber. But that little front t-track piece survived all the way into production of ROTJ when the saber was cast for the severed hand gag, so it's not a stretch to suppose the unidentified greeblie box was on it during ANH as well.

I'd call the pic inconclusive, if anything. It is hard to tell. Luckily we have the surviving prop, and (even better) the cast ROTJ hand gag prop that allows us to make an educated guess as to what was there.

Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one side, and a faux MPP release on the other.

Last edited:
Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one said, and a faux MPP release on the other.

thanks everyone for clarifying. There are two bits behind the shroud and the bulb release area is indeed copied, but the T track we were talking about is where the front S ports are on an MPP.

if the current un-IDed part IS the same as ANH, that means they had access to the push button switch used to renovate the stunt-turned-vader graflex way back in ANH. the greeblie on there today is the same as the promo sabers, and it's the bottom plate of the switch. But cut short (one section is trimmed off). The gaps in the perimeter of the greeblie, when used as the bottom plate, look exactly like the gaps in my white push switch for wires.

Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpgDarth-Vader-Return-of-the-Jedi-Lightsaber-Profiles-in-History-Compare-Energizer-Bunny.jpgs-l300.jpgs-l300.png

SethS said:
viewpost-right.png

Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one said, and a faux MPP release on the other.

That's what I'm seeing as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as it looks like T-Track on both sides to my eye.

Dave

viewpost-right.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the two glossy black discs that are on either side of the Barbican's mystery piece? (the on the side with the clamp box). They don't look exactly like rivets OR button head screws to me. Snap covers with the center depressed/punched maybe? The same piece may be on the center of the saber's endcap.

They seem to be something else changed for the resin cast used with Vader's hand (much like the D-ring area was changed), so that's not a useful source.

So..... The four hex bolts were not present during ANH? Even though the RotJ severed hand saber is a cast of it in its ANH configuration and that does have the bolts.

This is a really good topic. They are not present during or after ANH in those publicity shots.

Could be the same old tube and old core with new bolts for esb/jedi

Could be a new tube with new bolts and the old ANH core.

I always thought the original ANH tube had an endcap and would show a set screw or threads without the endcap. The one in Jedi seems to be a plain pipe near the bottom which makes me skeptical that its the same tube

IMG_8007.jpg

Is the black thick emitter separate from the aluminum tube?

Is this brown section seen in the hole part of the thick emitter?

Like. Is it a aluminum tube like Luke’s motorized stunt, then a machined thick emitter slid into the aluminum tube, then the beefy hand guard slides on top of the thick emitter?

Looks like the Barbican has beveled holes for Allen bolts (4) and it was disassembled and reassembled with the new core and 2 weird black bolts leaving the 2 in front empty.

I would guess the shoulder is the separate piece, but the end cap and tube seem like a found part or a specially made thing.

Looks like the Barbican has beveled holes for Allen bolts (4) and it was disassembled and reassembled with the new core and 2 weird black bolts leaving the 2 in front empty.

I would guess the shoulder is the separate piece, but the end cap and tube seem like a found part or a specially made thing.

I read in this thread that previously during ANH they don’t think there was a end cap on it

Do you still feel this way today?

I read in this thread that previously during ANH they don’t think there was a end cap on it

Do you still feel this way today?

I'll clarify because these acronyms get confusing.
ANH - Luke Stunt
ANHDuelpractice.jpg

During ROTJ and after (kramstar posted the first one, if its not okay I'll take them down!)
SABER_SWR.jpg

ROTJBTS2.jpg

ANH-Vader Stunt
BarbicanANH.jpg

Post (Rebelscum comparison photos of the Ep. 3 Vader)
Barbicancomp.jpg
Barbicancomp1.jpg

So the Vader Stunt definitely has an endcap, and a dull tube, and it's so nice looking I hazard a guess its a found part or specially made like the V2

Also, the Luke Stunt does not show threading or set screws for a missing endcap anymore. Maybe different stunts?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Tom. I’ve never seen this one before

IMG_8010.jpg

The blade is very interesting!!

As for the Luke motorized stunt I have followed its history pretty good

The Vader motorized stunt is where I get confused and cloudy. I re read this thread and Seth’s book to keep refreshing my memory

I was curious at the time of ANH if the Vader motorized stunt had a end cap. We really can’t see the grips/end cap section

And I knew the Vader motorized stunt got a rework at the RoTJ time, I didn’t know if the ended cap was made then

Good question!
I was curious at the time of ANH if the Vader motorized stunt had a end cap. We really can’t see the grips/end cap section

And I knew the Vader motorized stunt got a rework at the RoTJ time, I didn’t know if the ended cap was made then

You're right, we don't really have a view of the end. Brandon may be able to weigh in on that, I'm really curious if the fuse plate greeblie up top has ANH era origins or if that greeblie was newer (around the same time they converted the Graflex for Vader to use in Jedi.)

I will also say I can't remember if kraamstar messaged me that picture or it was posted in a thread. 1-2 of those photos in the collage were posted publicly, and I think he added another one and put it in a collage for me. He had to crop them, so I thought it was okay since he already did :)

I tagged him just in case, I wouldn't want to put anyone in a bad spot

Last edited:
I will also say I can't remember if SofaKing01 messaged me that picture or it was posted in a thread. 1-2 of those photos in the collage were posted publicly, and I think he added another one and put it in a collage for me. He had to crop them, so I thought it was okay since he already did :)

I tagged him just in case, I wouldn't want to put anyone in a bad spot

Aaahhh! No wonder why, never nice photos though!

More pics of the pipe stunt! Glad I gave it a dedicated page in the new guide. That thing shows up everywhere. Seeing the fat stunt grips in that top image too.

More pics of the pipe stunt! Glad I gave it a dedicated page in the new guide. That thing shows up everywhere. Seeing the fat stunt grips in that top image too.

Ok Seth and Tom...correct me... the “pipe stunt” is NOT Luke’s motorized stunt correct?!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back