Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    From
    UK
    Jan 10, 2018, 10:05 AM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #26

And last year when I speculated that there were two Vader stunts in the ANH duel my comment went completely ignored!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 10, 2018, 11:48 AM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #27

I made note of it in the guide!

Knowing production the way I do it is very rare for any prop to not have a twin or backup.
  3. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Jan 10, 2018, 12:20 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #28

BAlinger15 said: View Post
    Yes, as Seth says above - they started the film with a motorized dueling saber for Vader and another for Luke. Vader's had the big square shroud on. At some point, they painted Luke's with a black emitter and let Vader use it for the duel.

After ANH, at some point the square shroud on the Vader dueling saber (aka the "Barbican" due it first being displayed there) was rounded off to better match other Vader sabers. But I don't think it was used for filming again. I don't think the Barbican shroud was ever used on the Luke motorized saber.
    Now it all makes sense, thank you !

I always thought it was odd that Luke and Ben had special motorized stunt lightsabers and poor Vader had to share Lukes stunt saber. Good to know Vader did indeed have his own motorized stunt that just didn't work very well.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jan 10, 2018, 12:28 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #29

The endcap on this Vader saber is beautiful. Reminiscent of the MPP but with mtiple flanges and stuff

I'm a fan of the t track greeblies, like hans blaster, but it doesn't match anything on an MPP placement wise right? Other than the riveted label
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 10, 2018, 3:45 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #30

I feel like I owe the Barbican an apology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 10, 2018, 3:48 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #31

thd9791 said: View Post
    The endcap on this Vader saber is beautiful. Reminiscent of the MPP but with mtiple flanges and stuff

I'm a fan of the t track greeblies, like hans blaster, but it doesn't match anything on an MPP placement wise right? Other than the riveted label
    It matches the bulb release assembly on an MPP.
    From
    Jan 10, 2018, 3:50 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #32

JoeG said: View Post
    It matches the bulb release assembly on an MPP.
    That would be on the rear of the saber, near the square shoulders. Heiland flashes have a release there though
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 10, 2018, 3:55 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #33

thd9791 said: View Post
    That would be on the rear of the saber, near the square shoulders. Heiland flashes have a release there though
    Pic #2 on this post I clearly see a piece of t-track where the bulb release would be

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4386270
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jan 10, 2018, 4:08 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #34

Pic #2 on this post I clearly see a piece of t-track where the bulb release would be

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4386270
    In the bulb release spot you're seeing the same unidentified greeblie that is still on the Barbican today. The first pic shows the short piece of t-track where the S ports of an MPP would be.

ms80444 said: View Post
    I feel like I owe the Barbican an apology.
    100% THIS
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jan 10, 2018, 4:11 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #35

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    In the bulb release spot you're seeing the same unidentified greeblie that is still on the Barbican today. The first pic shows the short piece of t-track where the S ports of an MPP would be.
    Both pictures show the same t track looking piece to me. In the more recent pictures there is only the 1 unidentified piece. Given that they obviously did some machine work to it post ANH and we know those t tracks were notorious for falling off, it looks like parts have been replaced. At the time of ANH there are either two pieces of t track on the saber or the whole square part of the shroud spins.

EDIT

I brightened pic#2 and I still can't tell if I see the vertical part of a t track or if the part is completely flat and its just part of Vader's glove that I'm seeing. Could be either one to me at this point. I concede it could very well be the flat part as seen on the Barbican, but personally I'm not convinced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saber2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	786432
    Last edited by JoeG; Jan 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM.
  11. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Jan 10, 2018, 4:32 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #36

Information over load! My brain is buzzing with excitement!!

That is one beefy emitter!! Doesn’t look like the whole pipe is that thick gauge metal. I can only imagine how top heavy this saber was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jan 10, 2018, 4:46 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #37

Both pictures show the same t track looking piece to me. In the more recent pictures there is only the 1 unidentified piece. Given that they obviously did some machine work to it post ANH and we know those t tracks were notorious for falling off, it looks like parts have been replaced. At the time of ANH there are either two pieces of t track on the saber or the whole square part of the shroud spins.

EDIT

I brightened pic#2 and I still can't tell if I see the vertical part of a t track or if the part is completely flat and its just part of Vader's glove that I'm seeing. Could be either one to me at this point. I concede it could very well be the flat part as seen on the Barbican, but personally I'm not convinced.
    I'll grant you that the prop was modified over time, so it's difficult to know just what the details of it were during its tenure as Vader's ANH dueling saber. But that little front t-track piece survived all the way into production of ROTJ when the saber was cast for the severed hand gag, so it's not a stretch to suppose the unidentified greeblie box was on it during ANH as well.

I'd call the pic inconclusive, if anything. It is hard to tell. Luckily we have the surviving prop, and (even better) the cast ROTJ hand gag prop that allows us to make an educated guess as to what was there.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 10, 2018, 4:46 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #38

Thanks Brandon for these pictures . . . one other piece of compelling evidence that this saber was indeed present
    before and during filming of ANH and as far as I can tell not mentioned yet, is . . . the attached stunt rod which, as
    we know, was partly black and silver due to light reflective tape to create the laserbeam effect as was Obi-Wan's ...
    and Luke's lightsaber :

Since the first action figures* came out almost one year after the release of STAR WARS why then was the next picture of Darth Vader with that ANH stuntsaber chosen for the packaging? Any thoughts about that?

Chaïm

* See the first episode of 'THE TOYS that made us' :

From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Jan 10, 2018, 5:11 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #39

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    one other piece of compelling evidence that this saber was indeed present
    before and during filming of ANH and as far as I can tell not mentioned yet, is . . . the attached stunt rod which, as
    we know, was partly black and silver due to light reflective tape to create the laserbeam effect as was Obi-Wan's ...
    and Luke's lightsaber :
    I don't see how the dueling rod enters into the equation as it is not present on the prop today.

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Since the first action figures* came out almost one year after the release of STAR WARS why then was the next picture of Darth Vader with that ANH stuntsaber chosen for the packaging? Any thoughts about that?
    You want to talk about toy package design?

There are a couple things about this new info that are interesting to me. One is we now have a more rounded out picture of the three motorized stunt sabers that were made for each character in ANH, and the evolution that each of those props took throughout production of the trilogy.
    The second is the significance of the ROTJ hand gag casting. It shows us what Vader's ANH dueling saber turned into... As far as we know it was never used again on screen, but for some reason it was finished not unlike a Hero prop. But why? That's very interesting to me.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 10, 2018, 5:28 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #40

Apart from all the points made by Brandon to convince us the Barbican stunt was around in 1976 for the shooting of ANH he could also have pointed out the stunt rod with the reflective tape as seen in both pictures as evidence ... it is an obvious clue it was prepped for shooting.

Indeed I always wondered why the picture on the packaging used that particular Vader with the stunt saber whereas it clearly did not represent the MPP based belthanger lightsaber

Chaïm
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 10, 2018, 6:23 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #41

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    I'll grant you that the prop was modified over time, so it's difficult to know just what the details of it were during its tenure as Vader's ANH dueling saber. But that little front t-track piece survived all the way into production of ROTJ when the saber was cast for the severed hand gag, so it's not a stretch to suppose the unidentified greeblie box was on it during ANH as well.

I'd call the pic inconclusive, if anything. It is hard to tell. Luckily we have the surviving prop, and (even better) the cast ROTJ hand gag prop that allows us to make an educated guess as to what was there.
    Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one side, and a faux MPP release on the other.
    Last edited by SethS; Jan 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM.
    From
    South Carolina
    Jan 10, 2018, 6:43 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #42

SethS said: View Post
    Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one said, and a faux MPP release on the other.
    That's what I'm seeing as well.
    From
    Jan 10, 2018, 6:46 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #43

SethS said: View Post
    Looking at the first two pics Sym-Cha posted, it looks like t-track on one said, and a faux MPP release on the other.
    thanks everyone for clarifying. There are two bits behind the shroud and the bulb release area is indeed copied, but the T track we were talking about is where the front S ports are on an MPP.

if the current un-IDed part IS the same as ANH, that means they had access to the push button switch used to renovate the stunt-turned-vader graflex way back in ANH. the greeblie on there today is the same as the promo sabers, and it's the bottom plate of the switch. But cut short (one section is trimmed off). The gaps in the perimeter of the greeblie, when used as the bottom plate, look exactly like the gaps in my white push switch for wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	786475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darth-Vader-Return-of-the-Jedi-Lightsaber-Profiles-in-History-Compare-Energizer-Bunny.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	728.5 KB 
ID:	786476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	786477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	786478
    From
    Colorado Spgs, Colorado
    Jan 10, 2018, 9:31 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #44

russellsch said: View Post
    SethS said:

That's what I'm seeing as well.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as it looks like T-Track on both sides to my eye.

Dave
  20. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 11, 2018, 12:42 PM - Re: ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber #45

What are the two glossy black discs that are on either side of the Barbican's mystery piece? (the on the side with the clamp box). They don't look exactly like rivets OR button head screws to me. Snap covers with the center depressed/punched maybe? The same piece may be on the center of the saber's endcap.

They seem to be something else changed for the resin cast used with Vader's hand (much like the D-ring area was changed), so that's not a useful source.