Another 2049 Blade Runner Retinal Eye scanner rendition

propmaster2000

Sr Member
Some time ago there was a thread started showing the progress/build of this scanner and since then I ended up getting a 3D Printer and am learning
to model/render items to print.
This project is the Retinal - Iris Eye scanner shown in the film 2049 Blade Runner.
Since over time, I have taken my progress on this to a higher level, I decided to start my own thread and show my progress here. :)

Here is an updated video of my scanner as it is now.

https://youtu.be/ZjL2T9nEKLs

Thank you for watching :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Kudos :)

It has been a real challenge for me to get this far.
Learning to work with the Modeling program and setting up the 3D printer for each print is the biggest challenge.
But so far I've been fairly successful.

I will be working on the pop-up feature next to get everything to fit as intended and add another rechargeable battery
to drive the RGB LED and circuit mounted in the pop-up.
It will have a mechanical release and possibly a rubberband lift source (like my Orville Scanner/Comm prop rendition).

Last edited:
Nice job on the sliding mechanism. Seems to work really well! Are you using springs or rubber bands?

Any ideas for the locking mechanism?

As you can see in the latest video, small rubber bands are this prop makers best friend.

Since I am slowly running out of real estate, I needed to use something that works, easy to get and replace.
I designed it to be able to put a new band on thru the back access door.
I am now looking for a way to latch and release the pop up.
It looks to me that the release mech. is a slide release and not a push mech. (since the button looks like it has ridges).
So, it will move up and down along the inside wall to release the lower catch. (I think. I'm still in the design phase).

Can't get over how I can just print a new piece (when needed after a design change) and it fits exactly like the first one.

Last edited:
For anyone that may be interested, here is a quick video update on my progress in designing and printing my rendition of the eye scanner.
I haven't let the build die yet :).

I have a general understanding on how I want the prop to look and function and I haven't reached that point yet.
I've been working mostly on the latch and release mech. and I think I have it covered.

https://youtu.be/EhiVwzLkE5U

Thanks for watching.

Current progress and update.
The picture shows most of the printed parts for my version of the scanner.
The colors help to give contrast when I assemble them in the modeling program and will not be
printed in the color :) . I am using white PLA.

scanner 3D parts_small.jpg

Good evening,

My little prop seems to be turning out way better then I had envisioned and the pop-up function works well too. :)
I printed one full prop from start to finish and assembled it without fail.
This would be my second full version.
The details in the pop-up will be painted to look metalish with some other details and an electronics circuit will be put into place.

I will be making the added switches for the sides but I think only one has to function to turn on the LED scan.
I may be doing kits of this in the future, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Below is an updated video as this prop is now.

https://youtu.be/7vQNCCBPeSg

propmaster2000

Thank you for the LIKE's. :)

I have a fair amount to do on this before it is considered done.
The next phase will be the electronics function (LEDs, wiring, battery, switches, etc.)
I won't paint the exterior until all the pieces are correctly modeled, printed to fit and electronics
worked out.

I will be taking a few days off from this project since I have to do a "paying" gig (need to pay the bills).

Thanks again for the Kudos :)

propmaster2000

In a couple days, I am hoping to be done with my current gig and I can get back to working on my hobby. :)
When I got in to prop making as a profession back in 98, I thought it would be a good way to keep me active building and creating something from nothing.
I have always been a model builder, gluing and painting models bought at the local hobby store. It was always a good way to keep the mind active.
Electronics is my trade and I have managed to incorporate small circuits into many of the props I create, excluding sound. (Most studio props never wanted sound).

Now that I am semi-retired, I am looking into increasing some of my abilities and thought I would learn more about 3D printing. This of course would tend to take away most of the "thrill of the build" as when I built models from a kit by hand.

When I set out to design the 2049 Blade Runner Iris/Retinal Scanner, I still wanted some amount of "assembly required" to keep me in practice.
The video below shows what I mean. When I have the parts printed as individual pieces, it tends to create a much "cleaner" result
as well as being able to replicate that one piece individually rather than re-printing to whole part again.

https://youtu.be/FlHIGdGf1iA

propmaster2000

THAT is beautiful!
My apologies if this has already been covered: will you be selling kits or the .stl files?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back