X Plus holo chess Dejarik figures

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://www.kaijuaddicts.com/x-plus-makes-move-star-wars-holographic-chess-creatures/

01-18-Star-Wars-Chess.jpg

Wow. One of the rare times that a company makes props BIGGER than 1:1 scale! :lol
Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful but why make them so big?

I believe that's the scale of the original stop-motion puppets... obviously their final holographic image form appeared to be much smaller on the board in the Falcon.

The page says they're all PVC; if it's essentially the same as a kotobukiya model. I'd be interested to see if it's worth the price as it's more expensive that the current PVC statues.

So, I've received the first two of these figures (Mantellian Savrip and Kintan Strider) and they are very nice, but I've seen no word at all now on any of the other figures. No pre-order schedules, nothing. Has anyone heard anything at all on when/whether the other figures will be available?

Dan

I find it interesting that they released the two "hero" characters first. These were the only two that were really featured in Star Wars, and reappear in TFA. Without a scaled holo board, these would be the only two I'd want, as they are the most recognizable.

Did the quality of the Koto pvc figs improve or does the pvc still harden up over time and break easily? I had that happen with my McQ Concept Vader and Luke figs. Only solution was to glue the pieces together, which as a collector I absolutely hate.

Had a chance to pick these up and passed. They take up way too much space. Total fail on their part for not making them 1/1 scale.

Had a chance to pick these up and passed. They take up way too much space. Total fail on their part for not making them 1/1 scale.

I'm not 100% certain, but just eyeballing from the "Making of holochess for Star Wars: The Force Awakens" video these look to be 1/1 scale for the new figures that were made for that. So in that sense I believe they are in fact 'studio scale'...

Dan

I'm not 100% certain, but just eyeballing from the "Making of holochess for Star Wars: The Force Awakens" video these look to be 1/1 scale for the new figures that were made for that. So in that sense I believe they are in fact 'studio scale'...

Dan

Philip Wise makes screen accurate (and gorgeous!) holo chess tables with lights and sound and these pieces are WAY too big for that table.

Oh, I'm not saying that these aren't larger than the figures appear on screen relative to the holo table set piece, I'm saying that they appear to me to be the same size as the actual stop motion models that were filmed for The Force Awakens (and that those models are physically larger than they are sized to appear on screen).

Dan

ETA:

So, by way of comparison with the TFA versions, here's a frame grab from the Tested 'making of' video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sexd06I8mzg) with my own photo scaled roughly to match:

holochess_TFA_XPlus.jpg

I marked out a middle finger knuckle-to-knuckle scale bar on the frame grab and then transferred that exact same length scale bar to a recognizable feature on the Kintan Strider figure. I then did the same on my own photo of my XPlus figure and they are the same. I maintain that the XPlus figures are essentially 1/1 scale to the TFA stop motion models.

Dan

Last edited:
The Kintan Strider looks about the same there I think, but no doubt that Mantellian Savrip looks small there in that particular image for some reason, smaller than it should be relative to the Kintan Strider and smaller than it looks in other scenes in that Tested 'making of' video. Strange indeed...

And I can certainly understand those who'd want such figures scaled to the proper-size holo table set piece. It'd be nice to have both versions available.

Dan

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back