1/12th Blade Runner 2049 Spinner Build

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting a 2049 Spinner in the same scale as the Anubis 2019 kit, but since nothing was available I figured I'd do it myself :D

This is my first scale model vehicle build, I'm generally a prop guy, so this is an interesting experience. I'm planning to light it and have a removable pilot fish drone. Just a few pics of progress so far.

2aom0l.jpg

11m54z8.jpg

wvstwj.jpg

This looks fantastic so far! Any plans to do a kit run when finished?

The short answer is no :lol

The longer one: Creating a kit needs a lot of careful planning unless you are going to make moulds of one solid piece. I have built in channels and holes for wiring that would create undercuts and other problems with moulding that really need to be figured out before starting, with numerous parts needing to be moulded before assembly. Unfortunately I just have too many projects going on to put the time into creating it that way. 3D modelling is a great way of creating a master for kit moulding, because you can see exactly how it goes together and take into account moulding compromises as you go along, but this is coming straight out of Illustrator to the laser cutter and then manually sculpted where necessary, so I'm kind of making it up as I go along :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good...now the scale tells me nothing: what are the measurements of that baby?

It's going to be just over 15" long. I considered making it bigger, but it really comes down to display space and being a similar scale to the Anubis.

Great work!
You've done well.
I am about to attempt this in 1/6, so i am very interested to see your progress if you've made more!

Unfortunately on hold at the moment, as I need a new tube for my laser cutter. Hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly :)

60w Co2. I use it extensively in prop building, it's also really useful for things like cutting paint masks etc.

Laser cutter is sorted, but I have a big backlog of work, so it going to be another few months before I can get back to the Spinner, but it's still very much a priority project when I can catch up!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back