Need help repairing 1986 prop

Seijun

So I have this 4ft tall, 1:1 scale Amazon River Dolphin (just the front half) from the 1986 movie "where the river runs black". It is the pride and joy of my collection. It is a fiberglass shell covered in a rubber skin and painted with...??? Not sure. Some sort of rubbery paint. Anyway, I found out today that my cat has been using one side of his face as a scratching post. The paint in nicked all to hell, feels like sandpaper. Is there any way to repair this? I am feeling devastated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RJ9joqZznqbYrtIT2

I would pay a professional to fix him if I could find someone... I live in Portland Oregon.

Last edited:
Simple fix is a new cat (kidding). Repairing the rubberized top coat is gonna be a challenge. Sanding, filling probably straight forward, but blending in the paint to match the patina is the hard part. From a preservation standpoint I would want to save as much as the original finish as possible. I suspect that the paint is some type of leather dye (spray paint with a bunch of flex agent mixed it).

Other than that, Monica Castro was the prop master for the film, might try calling her. Ill PM you her number. I dont know her at all, just got it from google.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back