Darth Saber’s Millennium Falcon -Bandai Perfect Grade WIP

Yellow panels and some touch ups done.
Need to pull back the yellow a bit.
And gotta wait till more airbrush cleaner arrives.
Looks like masking for the next day or so.

064677a848ae85c301b7bf181e5a6f34.jpg
fe1baaded4987ffafe2819cfd7d91102.jpg
70c4ce598bdcbec316609b69eb3fee2b.jpg
eef78e597f60fcb9a2f22041a1d0f3fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... I've not been paying attention. Is this a derivative of the old FM kit?

Clearly the glaring problems with the Fine Molds Falcon don't exist here.

Hey, DS:

I really like the idea of using tape tubes for streaking, and if it's not patented yet, hope you don't mind if I borrow it. :)

In related--I really like how the streaking was done on the 5-footer; it has a lot of depth and subtle variation that I don't think I could ever replicate with my intermediate airbrushing skills. Does anyone know how the ILM crew did it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So... I've not been paying attention. Is this a derivative of the old FM kit?

Clearly the glaring problems with the Fine Molds Falcon don't exist here.

Nope. All new kit, from Bandai, based on extensive research of the 5 foot Falcon.

Does anyone know how the ILM crew did it?

I think they just freehand airbrushed it. There are multiple streaks that do not exactly radiate away from the center of the ship, which shows they may have just been winging it. But like with any star wars model, the ILM techniques don't always translate well to smaller scales, so you gotta create new techniques to replicate the old techniques - hence tape tubes.

Hey, DS:

I really like the idea of using tape tubes for streaking, and if it's not patented yet, hope you don't mind if I borrow it. :)

In related--I really like how the streaking was done on the 5-footer; it has a lot of depth and subtle variation that I don't think I could ever replicate with my intermediate airbrushing skills. Does anyone know how the ILM crew did it?

Thanks!

Yeah, i dont mind. I dont think you can patent rolling up tape anyways, lol.

Just make sure you test it out.
I only did a half assed test on some paper.
I usually thin out my paints alot when doing the weathering but didnt use thinned out paint on the test.

I dont see why it wouldnt work but just to be safe.

I think they just freehand airbrushed it. There are multiple streaks that do not exactly radiate away from the center of the ship, which shows they may have just been winging it. But like with any star wars model, the ILM techniques don't always translate well to smaller scales, so you gotta create new techniques to replicate the old techniques - hence tape tubes.

Yeah the five footer is such a large model that makes freehand streaks easier...the smaller the model the harder to control.

Thanks, guys! Makes sense that having that much more canvas to work with is how they got the streaking to look good.

DS, I'll definitely test tape tube technique first, and any goof-ups I make on actual PG Falcon are strictly my fault. :)

Yeah the five footer is such a large model that makes freehand streaks easier...the smaller the model the harder to control.

I did have another idea though that you secure a string to the center of the ship and then pull it taught outwards hovering slightly above the hull of the model, and push your airbrush against the string so the that streak is controllable. But the tape tubes definitely seem to be playing it on the safe side, they'll just take longer.

I did have another idea though that you secure a string to the center of the ship and then pull it taught outwards hovering slightly above the hull of the model, and push your airbrush against the string so the that streak is controllable. But the tape tubes definitely seem to be playing it on the safe side, they'll just take longer.

Quick sample of streak tubing-

I went a little heavy handed with the paint but you get the idea-

Soft edges on both sides-

455c72134f43299e84ac75d07f4c8738.jpg
59b24d0cfb18e68ed4bdf8cff3658dec.jpg

ed5d9dcbc79dabd403592b9b11dc0c2c.jpg
02a82aadef1acb71ea3a01a6b2b9c260.jpg

The color choices and subtly of your panel work are spooooott on. So good. How could you make out where all the subtle panels went? Good reference photos?

The color choices and subtly of your panel work are spooooott on. So good. How could you make out where all the subtle panels went? Good reference photos?

Yeah, plenty of reference photos.

Sometimes hard to tell if its a light grey panel or just weathering though.

Lots of cross referencing different photos to confirm.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back